Sunrise

Teebs

Does anyone know who the Brad guy that was on this morning is? Had a bit to say about training and owners needing to do the right thing - all while sitting with his bull breed dog licking his face :laugh:

Our local paper has a big thing this morning

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/news/local/news/general/ban-restricted-dog-breeds-council/2263151.aspx

They also have a facebook page and I have gone a bit crazy on it :laugh:

http://www.facebook.com/centralwesterndaily

I think he did a great job Teebs and his dog did his part too :laugh: . His name is Brad Griggs.

I don't know him personally but have heard a bit about him - hopefully other trainers will get out there and try to promote the importance of FORMAL TRAINING WITH REPUTABLE DOG TRAINING CENTERS and to AVOID BYB dogs.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately the general public have had enough. They dont care about the reasons why these attacks happen only that they happen and when it does involve a strong big dog (such as a pitbull) it doesnt end well.

The inability to keep these dogs out of the hands of knob owners has contributed to the downfall of this breed

I don't believe they are going to ban any breeds completely and start destroying dogs. The major thing is no pit bull has been recorded in Australia as doing serious damage only pit bull types or mixes. How can they be sure what a dog is mixed with? They can't just go around destroying dogs for looking like a pit bull.

The area where this family lived has a very high number of dangerous dogs but is also an industrial area where people keep dogs in there yards to prevent theft. They are not going to start taking all these animals and destroy them. The media like scaring the public and it's working.

The only real way is getting tough on owners, charge them with murder. Hopefully that is put in place for this man.

if you don't think the Vic lib party are capable of doing what they have said they will do, and that they are bluffing then you obviously don't live here. Living under Jeff and his schools of the future program - a lot of teachers I am sure thought he would not do what he did (much to their chagrin as the teachers union had backed the libs during their campaign as the then labor party would not give them the payrise they were after) and policy then became known amongst educational circles as "the schools of the Fuhrer" program, when school after school was closed down and sold off despite community protests.

Pollies know when something is good politically, and this one has the uninformed masses baying for change, it is popular amongst Joe Public, and won't be much of an impost on the gov as it will be up to the owner to prove the dog should not be destroyed, not for the council to prove it should - you can't prove that your dog does not have any pit bull in him, or any other breed they deem as no longer welcome, then they no longer have the right to exist, in the eyes of the Libs, and the owner will have no say in that. Sadly the opposition has also said they support these measures (of course, again since it is popular politically), so no support there for common sense to prevail. Mob mentality at its best - the old Yes Minister phrase of, We Need to DO Something, this is something, lets do it, no matter how stupid what is being proposed

If pollies need to DO something, why don't they pass legislation that makes it possible for people to be charged with manslaughter when their dogs kill someone?

And why don't all the anti-BSL people stop moaning about BSL and get out and work to get the public anger redirected toward irresponsible owners?

Sure, it's fun to have a good bun fight once in awhile. But this one is degenerating into a parade of fixed and well advertized positions. Not even entertaining.

Someone reported that the owner watched and simply tried to call his dog off while the dog killed the little girl . . . don't know if it's true . . . but if it is, it's a disgrace that he get off with a fine. Keeping a vicious dog is pretty much like keeping a loaded gun. You're responsible if it goes off!

The dog owner is a known individual. How come all the attention is going to what breed the dog is, rather than how the dog was (or wasn't) trained, confined, and kept?

Edited by sandgrubber

Does anyone know who the Brad guy that was on this morning is? Had a bit to say about training and owners needing to do the right thing - all while sitting with his bull breed dog licking his face :laugh:

Our local paper has a big thing this morning

http://www.centralwesterndaily.com.au/news/local/news/general/ban-restricted-dog-breeds-council/2263151.aspx

They also have a facebook page and I have gone a bit crazy on it :laugh:

http://www.facebook.com/centralwesterndaily

He will be on the Channel 10 news tonight that starts at 5pm, and possibly Channel 9 news at 6pm. I think he is doing a fantastic job.

Retrievers top the bite statistics in Canada. Shall we now ban those too?

Further on the evidence thing in the other thread pf, one of the things that's always missing is the denominator.

Are particularly breeds dangerous? Depends on how many attacks, how many of that breed type, how many of that breed in that domestic situation. Surely there are reliable stats. Have I missed them flicking through the emotive stuff?

Also: bull breeds licking faces is dangerous. It was licking its arse or some other dogs arse 15 minutes earlier.

Further on the evidence thing in the other thread pf, one of the things that's always missing is the denominator.

That's because they don't know, except when they are talking about registered, pure-bred dogs.

That's because they don't know, except when they are talking about registered, pure-bred dogs.

Well someone should find out. There are plenty of things we don't know but do research on and get the answer, or something close enough. It might be difficult or expensive, but if it is important to the community (and it seems to be) then it should be done.

Well someone should find out. There are plenty of things we don't know but do research on and get the answer, or something close enough. It might be difficult or expensive, but if it is important to the community (and it seems to be) then it should be done.

I agree, but then you have the whole breed identity problem. This should be less of a problem where there is no BSL though. The article I linked to yesterday used an estimated expected frequency and dogs described as pitbulls were over-represented by a fairly broad margin. Keep in mind, even with accurate enough data to perform the necessary statistical analysis (chi square) to determine whether a breed is over-represented in the statistics, this doesn't allow us to draw any conclusions about the cause of this relationship.

We tend to see pitbulls in areas where we see a whole lot of problems, not just dog bites.

Are particularly breeds dangerous? Depends on how many attacks, how many of that breed type, how many of that breed in that domestic situation. Surely there are reliable stats. Have I missed them flicking through the emotive stuff?

Also: bull breeds licking faces is dangerous. It was licking its arse or some other dogs arse 15 minutes earlier.

lmao!!! :rofl: i agree with the licking part!!!! ewwwww!!

Banning a whole 'breed' or 'type' of dog is useless...

However I think the line in the sand has been drawn with this last incident...(RIP baby girl)...

Sadly with the dob a dog in - I am now in fear for my 14 year old, cancer ridden, deaf unpapered staffy... if the neighbours get pissy with me and want to be A holes, then they can call the pound and say I have a 'pit bull type' dog in the back yard... I guess they will be able to take him away without any other cause or reason now...

This is going to be horrible for those of us with good dogs...

Ollie has never even growled at someone and there are those in the public that would have him killed because he is not a ANKC registered dog and I cannot prove his heritage - he will fit the 22 point checklist like a glove...

Guess I might have to go into hiding with him...

My point being that not all dogs come from registered breeders (some of us made mistakes and bought from BYB before we knew any better)...

Would an animal lover really see a dog that has no history of aggression or attack be put to sleep all because he looks like a 'type' of dog???

Shame on those people, shame!

Edited by Staffyluv

Anyone else watching?

"Pittys should be destroyed", "pits are as dangerous as a lion", "get rid of them all"

"Ban them, they are awful things"

Here we go again :(

I know what happened to that little girl was a shocking horrible thing (thats why i started a new thread) , but when are people going to start looking at the owners and not the breeds? :(

Unfortunately, it IS the breed. They have been bred to fight over many, many years. It is imprinted into their genetics in the same way Retrievers were bred to fetch their masters' ducks, etc when hunting. No one, and I don't care how much of an expert they claim to be, but no one can control these dogs and stop them from attacking when they want to.

Matthew B

So you think because a breed was bred for a specific purpose they can't make wonderful family pets, if that was the case I shouldn't have a Rottie as I don't have cattle or a cart. I don't have sheep so I shouldn't own a GSD,you see how stupid your comments are. :mad

Unfortunately this type of attack is becoming more frequent in Australia and many of these attacks are of the Pit Bull type.

Now wheather these are Pit Bulls, direct crosses or lesser dirivitives of the breed it always seems to lead back to the Pit Bull.

Now this is anobservation only, we can have dog attacks, but it is becoming more apparent that with this type of dog, the attacks are becoming more frequent.

I have always said that WE have owner problems NOT dog problems, but with this type of dog that been bred specifically for fighting, we may just have an animal that maybe predisposed to attack when not under full control.

I can see in the not to far future that a call will be made to ban any dog with a Pit Bull heritage.

The attacks do appear to be becoming more frequent. And not all get the media coverage we think they do. Earlier this month a 6 months pregnant Californian (USA)woman was apparently mauled to death by the couples two year old intact male Pit Bull Terrier. Her poor husband found her collapsed when he came home.

The couple also owned a 6 year old female who appears not to have been involved in the attack. I only read of this on DOL and heard nothing in the media, which actually surprised me as I thought the media were proned to jumping on the "Another Pit Bull attack" band wagon.

So, yes, it does appear these attacks are becoming more prevalent.

I have always been the deed not the breed but after Mickey I dont know what to believe any more.

My sons partner arrived with Mickey the Pitbull Cross (looked like a rednose but was known to be a cross with a ridgeback) who was 3 years old ( she saved him from being euthanised after a family didnt want him due to the hype at the time). She came with him and a 6 year old cat, A year and a half along came the baby, who was introduced to Mickey via wraps before baby came home and had daily interactions.

Mickey and the cat always slept together and were best friends.

When the baby was 18 months old they were all sitting in the front yard (parents as well) when Mickey launched himself toward the child who was reefed up by the father, the next thing he had hold of the mothers leg which he then let go and killed the cat.

Mickey was euthanised at the vet the same day. Even to now months later we wonder why this happened and think it could have been the grandson.

Mickey was a beautiful dog until this happened so we still wonder.