“is It Time To Introduce A Spitz Group In Australia?”.

Bjelkier

65 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time to introduce a Spitz Group (group 8) in Australia?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (please give reasons)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some posts about why or why not would be nice guys ;)

Personally I would be happy to see one but at the same time I would be just as happy to see a reshuffle of all the groups on a whole as I believe there are a number of breeds in the wrong areas.

i'm still kinda new to the show ring but i also thing a reshuffling would be good. don't know enough about the spitz's though.

there are some breeds in the hound group that some say shouldn't be there and i find the extremes of type very difficult mainly between the scent and sighthounds.

i have voted in the poll yet, will have to see the options again.

i voted no, for the same reason ans Aziah has pointed out. i would hate to see a dog moved to a group where it really didnt belong.

Another reason, imagine the chaos for getting judges....unless you always got all breed judges you would more than likely have to split the group into several sections, a logistical nightmare

I'm leaning towards no. Like Aziah said, our dogs are a herding breed, so fit into the group they're already in. Also, being a rare breed, we already get compared to other Spitz breeds for all sorts of things that aren't actually required in our breed (for example, one that is debated quite often, tails being up in the stack) and I think that would happen even more if they were all in the same group.

However if I ever get a show Sibe, it'd be very nice to have lappies and sibes in the same group and not worrying about clashing!

i voted no, for the same reason ans Aziah has pointed out. i would hate to see a dog moved to a group where it really didnt belong.

Another reason, imagine the chaos for getting judges....unless you always got all breed judges you would more than likely have to split the group into several sections, a logistical nightmare

I believe that is already happening.

We already have a few groups that have a weird combination of dogs in them - Grp 6 & Grp 7 could do with a reshuffle here in Aus. The majority of the other groups seem complete (for want of a better word) but I think Group 3 is the only one that truely works as a 'Group'.

I voted no...whilst the Pembroke is classified as a Spitz breed and competes at the Spitz Breed Club shows they are a Working Dog, a herder and I feel that is where they belong.

From what I can see, pembrokes aren't in the Spitz group under FCI

http://www.fci.be/nomenclature.aspx

No they aren't, but if you're going to create a Spitz group here then you'd include all the breeds classified as Spitz (ie. those already able to compete at thr Spitz breed clubs) hence my answer of no.

Edited by Aziah

I dont have a Spitz breed so I dont think it fair for me to vote, but can I say when I have been in Bangkok (they have FCI) it is strange to see Poms against Sibes etc..as well as terrier group seeing Amstaffs against Yorkies...

See I think seeing a Pom against a Sibe is more normal then a German Spitz against a Great Dane :confused:

But thats just my opinion.

I dont have a Spitz breed so I dont think it fair for me to vote, but can I say when I have been in Bangkok (they have FCI) it is strange to see Poms against Sibes etc..as well as terrier group seeing Amstaffs against Yorkies...

No different to Great Danes being in the same group as Toy Poodles.

I did not vote.

We already have a few groups that have a weird combination of dogs in them - Grp 6 & Grp 7 could do with a reshuffle here in Aus. The majority of the other groups seem complete (for want of a better word) but I think Group 3 is the only one that truely works as a 'Group'.

I think you are probably correct Bisart Dobes that Group 3 probably works best... having said that, a poodle was originally a hunting dog so shouldnt it be in Grp 3...and of course the Schnauzer is a terrier ....

But I dont have a spitz breed and so I havent voted.... just thought I would add my comment on Grp 3

I'd love to see us move to the FCI group system.

Then I'd not have to wait for all the Dachies to be judged. ;)

+1 says the mincing tiny stepping deerhound - must not crush the mini wirey duchie :eek:

I voted no for a purely selfish reason!

I have Kelpies and Lappies and I don't want to be showing in two different Groups :laugh: In fact if the Spitz Group was introduced I doubt I would show both breeds at the same show as there is too much of a probability that Group would be on at the same time in both rings.

I voted no for a purely selfish reason!

I have Kelpies and Lappies and I don't want to be showing in two different Groups :laugh: In fact if the Spitz Group was introduced I doubt I would show both breeds at the same show as there is too much of a probability that Group would be on at the same time in both rings.

+1 :)