Can Our Dog Go Any Where?

Atanquin

Not my month :( just been to all the coffee/ cafe's in town they have alway let me and zorro sit out side with our coffee and have alway let other dogs as well but today no one is letting us sit outside for our coffee? Is there a crack down in qld about this I tried to asked the lady why as we had always sat there and that I understand inside not being allowed for obvious reasons but outside as well? She wouldn't tell me and looked a bit peeved about it but I think that's because she has lost a few customers. I talked to another lady that we some times see and our dogs say hallo and I normally have a good chat with and same thing with her too she tried a few other coffe shops that I didn't know about and they are all doing the same thing so I was wondering if anyone on here might have an idea ?

This usually is a local council thing. :( That's a shame. We always allowed dogs in our cafe and also fed and watered them (if owners were OK with it). Regulars had their names on special bowls :laugh:

I've been watching a program on SBS called Hotel , it's hilarious , reality, and makes Fawlty Towers look tame!! :eek::rofl: but every week there are several guests with their dogs, no one even blinks! this week two dalmations are on, I think wednesday night at 8.30pm.. anyway , the manager also has a lovely dog he idolises who is in the hotel all the time, gorgeous.

Not my month :( just been to all the coffee/ cafe's in town they have alway let me and zorro sit out side with our coffee and have alway let other dogs as well but today no one is letting us sit outside for our coffee? Is there a crack down in qld about this I tried to asked the lady why as we had always sat there and that I understand inside not being allowed for obvious reasons but outside as well? She wouldn't tell me and looked a bit peeved about it but I think that's because she has lost a few customers. I talked to another lady that we some times see and our dogs say hallo and I normally have a good chat with and same thing with her too she tried a few other coffe shops that I didn't know about and they are all doing the same thing so I was wondering if anyone on here might have an idea ?

Lost customers in general or lost customers because you had been taking your dog there?? If it is lost customers in general it is a bit silly of her to turn you away.

I think there was some law change about dogs at outside tables a while back but nothing recent, I'm sure someone here will know what it was.

Probably they had complaints. Don't forget, not all people are animal lovers and resent having dogs around when they are eating and drinking and personally, I can understand why.

I can't, bacteria doesn't magically jump from the dog to someone's plate or mug. The more people learn about what sort of things are a more realistic danger to food safety the better IMO.

In reality dogs are no more of a food hygiene risk than anything else that abounds around eateries, but because of the misguided perception that they are dirty or whatever most places would rather get rid of the dog than argue with people who know nothing about microbiology or food safety.

This kind of thing happened in the Mosman Council area in Sydney last year.

Apparently, strictly speaking it is against Local council policy in most areas to allow animals outside cafes etc.

It is up to the Council's discretion as to whether they enforce the ruling.

In Mosman, one day out of the blue the council decided to enforce it. Well, all hell broke loose. :laugh:

The locals complained, it was in the papers, petitions were signed etc.

Didnt take too long and the Council backed down and decided to turn a blind eye once again.

Maybe talk to the Council, get your facts straight & and if this is the case mobilise your local dog park friends into action. Well worth the effort.

Probably they had complaints. Don't forget, not all people are animal lovers and resent having dogs around when they are eating and drinking and personally, I can understand why.

I cant see why anyone would complain about a quiet well behaved dog lying under an outside table. :confused:

I'd prefer that to a smoker.

I often take Charlie and Emmy to cafes and no one has ever said anything. In fact, they bring water out for them.

Charlie usually just goes to sleep under my chair and Emmy sits under the table.

Talking to a cafe owner and he said that 90% of his customers are dog owners and bring their dogs.. it's good for business.

Guest lavendergirl

I hope there is not a crackdown - there are few enough cafes where you can sit outside with your dog as it is. We often travel across town to find a cafe where we can take the dog and sit outside.

There has been a fair bit of publicity about dogs in cafe's on the sunny coast the last year or so.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2010/09/28/2000-join-call-for-dogs-to-be-allowed-at-cafes/

http://www.hinterlandtimes.com.au/2010/09/02/coffee-with-your-canine/

Everytime I go down to Mooloolaba I see dogs sitting under cafe tables all over the place. I've always been surprised by how dog friendly it seems given all the recent contreversy. Even in the village I live in there are often people with their dogs with them outside the cafe.

Whilst trying to find a pic of a couple of my favourite local places that allow dogs, I came across this site:

doggydining

It's a site with dog friendly dining all over Australia! :thumbsup:

ETA: Just had a good look and it seems to be fairly new- should get better with more input.

Edited by dee lee

I cant see why anyone would complain about a quiet well behaved dog lying under an outside table. :confused:

Because the dog might look at them? or better yet, I'm not kidding about this, someone rang into the radio one day when poor Jackie O was kicked out of a cafe because she had her dog there

"the dog might sniff a chair or the table, and because all dogs lick their noses, they all have saliva on their noses and I'm allergic to dog saliva, I could go into anaphylaxis if I sit on the part the dog sniffed!" *like insert blonde bimbo attitude here*

Because the dog might look at them? or better yet, I'm not kidding about this, someone rang into the radio one day when poor Jackie O was kicked out of a cafe because she had her dog there

"the dog might sniff a chair or the table, and because all dogs lick their noses, they all have saliva on their noses and I'm allergic to dog saliva, I could go into anaphylaxis if I sit on the part the dog sniffed!" *like insert blonde bimbo attitude here*

Bahaha maybe if they sat there with a bare butt in which case there are some real hygiene issues there!

Bahaha maybe if they sat there with a bare butt in which case there are some real hygiene issues there!

Lol, and I was nearly going to ring in and say just that :rofl:

I have four dogs and I'd have a problem with people having their dogs in a place that serves food.

My parents were around when Tasmania was having some pretty horrible outbreaks of hytadids so we were raised to be very cautious about dogs and hygiene. There is nothing that grosses me out more than walking past a cafe and seeing some fluffy, little dog parked at a table, the fur around its hind legs and tail obviously soiled.

Tasmania fought hard to rid itself of the pest, which was rife in the 1960s, when 60 per cent of sheep had cysts and 12 per cent of dogs were carriers.In 1965, the Tasmanian Stock Act led to the compulsory testing of dogs and the abattoir inspection of sheep.

It also banned the feeding of offal to dogs and it remains illegal to feed dogs or allow access to offal from sheep, goats, cattle and pigs.

The programme was so successful that it led to Tasmania being the only State that was provisionally free of the parasite.

Experts say hydatids on the mainland cannot be eradicated because of high numbers of infected wild animals.

Down here, we're fairly safe (last outbreak was 2006) but obviously for the mainland, you have something to worry about (probably made worse by the fact it's perfectly legal to feed dogs raw offal there).

I wouldn't eat around my own dogs (who are all wormed every second month and never given raw offal) so I sure as hell wouldn't want to eat near a stranger's dog on the mainland.

I can't, bacteria doesn't magically jump from the dog to someone's plate or mug. The more people learn about what sort of things are a more realistic danger to food safety the better IMO.

In reality dogs are no more of a food hygiene risk than anything else that abounds around eateries, but because of the misguided perception that they are dirty or whatever most places would rather get rid of the dog than argue with people who know nothing about microbiology or food safety.

I didn't say anything about bacteria. I merely said that some people resent having animals around when they are eating and I can understand why. You probaly didn't read it properly.

I didn't say anything about bacteria. I merely said that some people resent having animals around when they are eating and I can understand why. You probaly didn't read it properly.

I feed my animals off my own table, they sleep in my bed and live in my house but when I go to a cafe, motel etc, I want them dog free.

I love my dog, but Im more than happy for them not to be allowed at cafes.

Not everyone is smart about it, and having a strangers dog jump at your legs while you're trying to have a nice meal isn't always pleasant. Then theres the people with allergies. Then the dog that yaps all the time, and the two dogs that will do anything to get to each other from different tables...

Edited by wagsalot