Best Kibble - Cheapest Price.

Blackdogs

I'm appealing to all who have researched before me for advice on where I can find the cheapest dog food in Melbourne (pref delivery if poss) from this list: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showcat.php/cat/8

If you can't help, then maybe you can tell me what you feed your dog and why (and/or what you would never feed your dog and why). You can include info on additives, such as omega 3 or kelp if you like. :)

Thanks in advance!

I feed Black Hawk Holistic (not on your list). It's locally made, from top quality ingredients and it's very reasonably priced ($75 for 20 kgs), and easily available in Melbourne. My dogs all like it and they do really well on it. I used to feed Eagle Pack Holistic and I think Black Hawk is a superior product in terms of freshness and availability.The ingredient list is very similar, but when I get a delivery of Black Hawk, it smells like it's only hours out of the oven. When I used to open a bag of Eagle Pack it smelt old.

http://www.kylainknls.com/food.htm

I feed Black Hawk Holistic (not on your list). It's locally made, from top quality ingredients and it's very reasonably priced ($75 for 20 kgs), and easily available in Melbourne. My dogs all like it and they do really well on it. I used to feed Eagle Pack Holistic and I think Black Hawk is a superior product in terms of freshness and availability.The ingredient list is very similar, but when I get a delivery of Black Hawk, it smells like it's only hours out of the oven. When I used to open a bag of Eagle Pack it smelt old.

What Gayle said!! :thumbsup:

I feed Advance.

I tried Artemis, and mine were all starving on it.

I have a BT who is prone to skin allergies, and a dally who has stones, they had this food in kennels while i was away, with raw, necks and wings, and after being away a month they looked brilliant on it, so stuck with it!

You get a free bag after 10 purchases, which makes it very reasonable. :)

Unless your dog has allergies or food intolerances, I'd not be sweating a kibble that contained some grains PROVIDED they weren't the primary ingredients.

Personally I find the idea of feeding a 40% or thereabouts kibble as an every day food a bit over the top and I'd certainly not be feeding it to a senior dog or breed or dog prone to kidney issues.

Advance is well liked by many dogs and dogs I know who are fed it do well on it.

I feed Royal Canin because my dogs like it and do well on it but it only supplements diets based on RMBS.

What breed of dog have you got, how old is it and how active is it?

ETA: Pookinuk deliver in Melbourne (they are Melbourne based) cheaply and stock the Artemis Maximal and a range of other premium foods.

Edited by poodlefan

I would have to go for this too & personally wouldn't feed anything else. This is the base of my dogs food, they also get RMB's, sardines, eggs, beef & roo (not all at once). The young BC also gets to clean the porridge pot every morning..It is very reasonably priced, especially in Victoria where it comes from.

Guest Panzer Attack!

I notice (work in a pet supplies store) that people tend to balk at the price of a bag of food... but once you calculate how much you feed your dog per day it's really not that expensive to feed. The higher quality food (aka the more expensive in most cases) tends to be more efficient per cup so you end up feeding less. If you compare how much, for example, Supercoat or Pedigree you feed a 10kg dog per day compared to Artemis or Canidae it works out to be roughly the same price and the dogs will usually be in better condition.

Like, I have a just shy of 3kg dog and if I buy him a 1.5kg bag of Royal Canin it costs $25, which seems ridiculous for such a small amount of food - BUT it lasts me over a month, therefore costing me less than a dollar a day. Grain free foods you can feed less of since it's got a lot more easily accessable protein, so the extra price isn't actually that big a deal. Having said that, not all dogs do well on grain free.

Calculate how much it will cost to run your dog per day on different brands of food and you'll be surprised to see how similar the cost actually is. :) I'd rather buy an expensive brand of food that I know has all the nutrients my dog will need and pay less vet bills in the long run. I'm the same with my own food, too. I'd rather eat fruit and veg and wholegrains and pay a bit extra than eat the cheaper more processed food and feel sick and low on energy all the time.

E x

Ive been feeding Black Hawk for about 4 months now. Both have extremely shiny coats. The ingredients in it are great. No wheat, corn or soy which is in most other premium foods. My dogs did terrible on Euk, RC, Advance, Pro Plan etc. I tried everything! The only one that came close was Eagle Pack. Way too expensive and didnt like some of the ingredients. So happy now. :) They also get RAW too, chicken necks, eggs, sardiens, pumpkin, lamb off cuts etc.

Thanks for all your replies. I will definitely be looking into Blackhawk Holistic now.

Poodlefan: I have a five year old medium sized dog who is very active and an equally active small breed, four month old puppy. :)

For a very active dog, I'd investigate the BH Junior.. higher fat content. You could feed it to both dogs.

My dogs barely need any kibble to survive, I only use about 2.5 cups a day or less for my two who are 36kg and 18kg. I buy the big bags when they are on sale and they last us about 2 months.

I am currently using Pro Plan but have tried Royal Canin, Advance and Black Hawk. To be honest there wasn't much difference between all the foods. I found for my dogs that Advance was the least palatable, and we had some health issues while on Black Hawk (may or may not be caused by the food but changed anyway). Their coats were nicest on Black Hawk but are still luscious and shiny on the others. My younger girl is super active, her fitness and muscle tone have been excellent on all foods.

They get extras such as sardines, chicken wings/frames, Natures Gift tinned food in their Kongs, offcuts, training treats and an occasional beef/lamb bone (upsets their tums a bit so not too often). And they get Joint Guard on their food each night.

Edited by wuffles

best cheapest for my dog was enduro brand, followed by bonnie, followed by uncle albers.

Yes, mine did well on Enduro but the place where I got it from doesn't have it any more :(

Uncle Albers didn't agree with my fussy miss midget (she hates Royal Canin too so Uncle Albers shouldn't feel slighted)

Not tried Bonnie, may do so yet.

Using Black Hawk at the moment but I find it puts on too much weight (have adjusted the quantities) instead of muscle.

I feed my working and growing dogs Advance. They do well on it. The sheep dogs also seem to have more fuel in their tanks too. When I was feeding a different brand, they seemed to run out of puff and strength.

My older pet dogs get fed whatever other food I have. If I win some food, they get that. They are happy with any food so they don't seem to mind.

They also get bones, table scraps and stuff when available.

I had a dog here for a few weeks and she was on Bonnie and I swear, she pooped out more than went in. It really made me NOT want to switch from Advance