'search & Destroy Mission'

Rottshowgirl

These laws are terrifying. Two of my dogs are in trouble if this gets over to SA. I hate to think what this is going to do to dog rescue in Victoria, people won't be game to adopt a cross breed if this is what will happen to them :(

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lisa - I am concerned too. I contacted my local members (state and federal) to express my concerns.

I suggest you perhaps do the same - you're welcome to use the letters I've posted.

The foster dog I have at the moment is hugely at risk from these laws. She will not be rehomed in Victoria and I am highly concerned about rehoming her, full stop, because of the potential grief this could cause an adoptive family if anything similar was to occur in other states.

It would be a shame if the "dob in " line was to get thousands and thousands of calls. If every concerned citizen made a call and gave an address, it would take them months, if not years to work out which were real, which were fake and where to look

The article this morning said the line was flooded - with 120 calls. Only 37 of them were deemed worthy of passing off to councils. I think people in low socio-economic areas are most at risk, as the paper outlined which councils will most probably get extra funding to check for pitbulls - they were all poorer areas (Dandenong etc).

If I lived in any area and had a neighbour's dog flinging itself against the fence in fury every time my kids played outside, I'd be making a call too. Idiot owners and dangerous dogs ARE out there.

My guess is many of the calls made won't be new cases - just frustrated people hoping to get some action on old complaints.

my old ridgeback x bullmastiff (RIP) would have been in danger had this been proposed several years ago.

like everyone has said, this is just a broad brush reaction to the (tragic) Ayen Chol (RIP) incident.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, this 'initiative' will probably fizzle when the newsworthiness of the issue also fizzles - and when the government realises how difficult and EXPENSIVE it actually would be to identify 'pit bulls' by appearance street by street.

This money is better spent on pet education initiatives of some sort.

"After September 30, when the amnesty finishes, if they have a pit bull type dog that fits the description ... councils will seize that dog and destroy it," he warned.

This is extremely frightening. a pit bull type and will destroy. This is going to be horrendous.

If I lived in any area and had a neighbour's dog flinging itself against the fence in fury every time my kids played outside, I'd be making a call too. Idiot owners and dangerous dogs ARE out there.

My guess is many of the calls made won't be new cases - just frustrated people hoping to get some action on old complaints.

That's what I was thinking too, many of the calls might well be frivolous or vindictive but there will also be some genuine ones and while the underpinning breed premise is faulty there is perhaps some merit in having a dangerous dog reporting system that actually initiates a response. It would be interesting to know what the criteria are for passing on the details to council to follow up, are they passing on all dangerous dog descriptions or just ones where the dog fits the 'pitbull type' description?

If anyone in Vic does know of a dangerous uncontained dog in their area (regardless of breed) I'd be ringing the hotline and just see what sort of questions they ask and whether it is followed up.

I don't know, many dogs appear to be highly territorial and I'm sure the noise of the kids excites them but really probably wouldn't do anything.

As long as they are contained in their yard, I think it is unfair to report them and have them possibly declared dangerous or euthanized.

Is some kind of behavioural assessment required after a call is made to the hotline, or is just my word against yours....

My dog really carries on when people come to visit, she sounds what many would think vicious- in reality she'd the most injury she would probably do is jumping on the person/child in excitement to give kisses. It is a fear/excitement thing with her, obviously I'm trying to discourage it due to the current climate of dog attacks and fear of dogs.

I'd hate for her to be reported as a dangerous dog based on barking alone...

Use the hotline to report every dog you see out in public, without a leash and wandering.

It's time to use up those council resources and get them to work for you :)

The funny thing is that I used the regular council number to report a dog that sleeps outside the front of its unfenced yard. It charged at us when we walked past. I told the owners about it, however I noticed the dog is now sleeping outside again. When I rung the council they didn't seem the least bit concerned (did it attack you? um, no, but do you want me to be bitten before you do anything?). They took down the details and will visit the owner in a week. Let's hope no mum takes her baby past that house before the week is up.

If nothing is done I will be calling the dangerous dog hotline because I'm out of options and I'm sick of avoiding this house so that I don't get charged at.

I don't own a pitty, or anything that even resembles a bull breed, but I'm still really upset by this. Mum has a gorgeous American Staffy and he would be devastated to be locked up in an enclosure all day!

Posted this in general but thought it may be more appropriate here. Appologies if some of these questions have already been asked...

Help me understand here.

Situation one;

The ranger peers over the fence and sees a dog that 'appears' to be a pitbull, but is a papered Amstaff and registered as such with the local council.

What happens?

Dog is siezed and destroyed immediately with no right to appeal?

Owner is contacted and given time to prove that their dog is an Amstaff? ie ANKC registration papers.

Situation two.

The ranger peers over the fence and sees a dog that 'appears' to be a pitbull, but is a BYB Amstaff / SBT x / Dogue x / Lab x (any large cross breed with a red nose..) and is registered with the council as such.

What happenes?

Situation 3.

A dog that 'appears' to be a pitbull escapes from it's property and is collected by a ranger. Dog is not wearing a registration tag (but is microchipped as an Amstaff). This dog has NOT shown any signs of aggression.

What happens?

How does the ranger determine if an owner is registering their breed correctly before taking action?

Does this mean that any dog, including those of know heritage, that may resembles a APBT or pitbull "type" must be registered (and kept) as such?

So if you had a Staffy Mastiff Cross for example that is unregistered would it be wise to quickly register that animal as a Staffy/mastiff cross before the powersthat be decide it's a Pitbull?? ( I know someone and worry for their dog.)

So if you had a Staffy Mastiff Cross for example that is unregistered would it be wise to quickly register that animal as a Staffy/mastiff cross before the powersthat be decide it's a Pitbull?? ( I know someone and worry for their dog.)

Dogs registered as non Restricted breeds can be looked at by a Council Ranger and determined a Pitbull and seized anyways. This is why this is stupid. Because basically if you have a dog who could be mistaken for a PB even if it isn't you almost have to register the dog as a PB to keep it safe.

I would think that it would be best to at least have the dog registered.