Surrogate Mother Possibly Needed In Melbourne

Trisven13

A registered breeder in Melbourne has asked me to put a post up on DOL to see if anyone might have a surrogate mother in the Melbourne area for 3 GSP puppies born today. Its not definite that she needs it at the moment but if someone has a possible surrogate that I can refer her on to please let me know. I don't know any more details as yet other than that they were born this morning.

ETA - have more details - the bitch had a c-section this morning and doesn't want anything to do with the pups. She'd love some suggestions on what she can do to help. She doesn't know how to tube feed but even if she did it won't help her as she works 4 days a week.

Edited by Trisven13

A registered breeder in Melbourne has asked me to put a post up on DOL to see if anyone might have a surrogate mother in the Melbourne area for 3 GSP puppies born today. Its not definite that she needs it at the moment but if someone has a possible surrogate that I can refer her on to please let me know. I don't know any more details as yet other than that they were born this morning.

ETA - have more details - the bitch had a c-section this morning and doesn't want anything to do with the pups. She'd love some suggestions on what she can do to help. She doesn't know how to tube feed but even if she did it won't help her as she works 4 days a week.

Muzzle is the best option as you cannot watch her 24/7 without falling apart.

Rescue Remedy ++++++

Hold her down, re-assure her, it doesnt take much colostrum for the babies to be full...but definately takes a few days for the milk to come down...I dont think a surogate would be any good as the puppies need the colostrum for the anti-bodies from their mother.

Sure puppies need colostrum but they need milk to live and its better to be with a surrogate than die.

Any puppy only gets colostrum for the first few days regardless of whether they were free whelped or had a c section...and they dont die...what a stupid thing to say BB

It is pretty normal for a maiden bitch that has a caesar, to not accept the puppies for a few days or even up to week. This is one of the tough parts of breeding where the breeder needs to be there constantly with mum and babies until she accepts the puppies. Your friend will need to take time off work or organise someone else to to be there until things settle down. In the mean time she needs to hold the bitch down (muzzle if necessary) and allow the puppies to feed. The breeder will also need to toilet the babies if the bitch won't do it.

Sure puppies need colostrum but they need milk to live and its better to be with a surrogate than die.

Any puppy only gets colostrum for the first few days regardless of whether they were free whelped or had a c section...and they dont die...what a stupid thing to say BB

It was not a stupid thing to say. If they mother eats the pups they are dead full stop.

Its better to go with an accepting surrogate than risk the pups lives.

It is pretty normal for a maiden bitch that has a caesar, to not accept the puppies for a few days or even up to week. This is one of the tough parts of breeding where the breeder needs to be there constantly with mum and babies until she accepts the puppies. Your friend will need to take time off work or organise someone else to to be there until things settle down. In the mean time she needs to hold the bitch down (muzzle if necessary) and allow the puppies to feed. The breeder will also need to toilet the babies if the bitch won't do it.

Exactly this. :)....if not then the breeder shouldnt have bred the litter.

Find an experienced person to show her how to tube feed...regardless of whether the bitch had a section or any other situation, this is a skill that in my opinion, every breeder should be able to do with competancy.

BTW, love the holier than thou attitude of some....jeeze...simple question here..no wrong answers.

for feeding ....We have used a muzzle .. a soft plastic weave one ... lots of reassurance .. and ... for bonding - a bit of the bitch's discharge applied to puppies'backs ...makes 'em smell like her ..and a bit less like aliens . Also when we toileted them.. gave her the tissues to sniff /wipe a little onto her nose .often then , reflexes kick in .

I echo much of what's been said - muzzle if needed, full supervision while the babies are on her, restraining the bitch if needed, and lots of rescue remedy!

Feonix didn't have a ceaser, but she was a maiden and was aggressive to the pups initially. It took a couple of days of constant supervision, and restraining her while the pups were feeding for her to come around, but she did come around.

I now have the opposite problem - she's so ridiculously patient with them that she won't tell them off when they try to feed (they are now just over 5 weeks old), which isn't making weaning very easy :laugh:

I echo much of what's been said - muzzle if needed, full supervision while the babies are on her, restraining the bitch if needed, and lots of rescue remedy!

Feonix didn't have a ceaser, but she was a maiden and was aggressive to the pups initially. It took a couple of days of constant supervision, and restraining her while the pups were feeding for her to come around, but she did come around.

I now have the opposite problem - she's so ridiculously patient with them that she won't tell them off when they try to feed (they are now just over 5 weeks old), which isn't making weaning very easy :laugh:

Totally agree with you Allerzeit. IMO pups need to be feeding from mum which produces the hormone to help with her mothering instincts. Restrain her and put the pups on and hopefully she'll come around in a couple of days.

We had the opposite with Teagan . She was so protective of her babies that we had to muzzle her to even get near them! :eek::eek:

Lasted a couple of days and we just took it very slowly with her and she came right. This was with her first litter born naturally.

2nd litter was c section and she thought about going the same way, I put a muzzle on her but once she was over the anaesthetic she came right. She could still clean the pups etc so might need a different type of muzzle but there is nothing wrong with using one for the safety of the pups - or in our case, our safety!! :)

Edited by AdoubleJ