Do Any Breeds Fit These Criteria?

Cosmolo

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep the sighthounds are out because of their build and a few other factors. Admittedly i have not met Erny's RRB but the others i do know have been far from drivey.

Border collies and normal collies are out too.

I have met a few cane corsos and they don't seem to be very active? Not sure if thats typical or not though.

Boxers are a really good suggestion- forgot about them!

a large male coolie would fit all the bill except for the weight - they would probably weigh about 26 kgs so not far off :)

sorry notice that it has to be pedigree, coolies don't fit this category yet :(

Edited by Ons

I wouldn't say schnauzers have low enough maintenance coats.

Leema to be honest, i am trying to think of a pedigree dog that has the qualities i love in my bull arab type dogs- dogs that i will probably never get to own again once the new laws are here. Not an am staff fan though. Boxers are as close as we have so far i think but welcome more suggestions.

Edited by Cosmolo

Can anyone give me some examples of some pedigree dogs that may fit these traits? NO gundog breeds

30kg plus

short or low maintenance coat

moderate to high prey drive

Athletic, of solid build and able to be active in warm weather

Generally friendly with people but slightly aloof okay

Ridgeback :D

Last shot before i go to bed ;Weimaraner

A gundog. I wonder what it is you don't like about gundogs Cosmolo?

Not all gundogs are 'typically gundog'. Weimeraners were bred to be blood trackers and bring down game and the gundog duties came later. Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are much more aloof then most gundogs and very solid. These two breeds are not so 'gundoggy'.

I love training gundogs and know lots of wonderful ones- but i wouldn't want to own one (except maybe a springer one day but we're talking big dogs at the moment) because i find them to have no real 'edge'. I don't like the tendency toward anxiety in the weims. So its not that i don't like gundogs as such but i don't feel they really suit us and what we want from a dog.

I love training gundogs and know lots of wonderful ones- but i wouldn't want to own one (except maybe a springer one day but we're talking big dogs at the moment) because i find them to have no real 'edge'. I don't like the tendency toward anxiety in the weims. So its not that i don't like gundogs as such but i don't feel they really suit us and what we want from a dog.

Fair enough :) The situation sucks :( A large male ACD may suit (trying to be helpful now ;) )

Yes; I also like Chesapeakes,Nothing anxious or wimpy about them,They are tough robust and adaptable.Resently saw a video of one and a labrador training as rescue dogs,learning to jump out of a helicopter into icy water.