What Breed Would You Recommend?

bossyboo

Hi

Wanting some advice: What breed would you recommend for a family with a 3 year old and 6 year old. First family dog.

Golden Retriever

Labrador

English Springer

Or something else?

They have good size back yard go for walks, probably will only do puppy school. Grooming wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

Sounds very similar to my situation.

We decided on an English cocker spaniel because I didn't want anything too big for my first doggie experience.

We pick him up in 3 weeks so I can't tell you yet whether I've made the right decision, but maybe another breed to add to the list!

depends if they are starting with a pup or older dog IMO

If they have never had any dog experience I would encourage them to

go through rescue and find one that meets their needs

If they like Labs (who we all no are mad as puppies and juveniles)

got through Lab rescue who probably have some nice older Labs

I always think Rotties are a great family dog, but that is me

What do they like about the three breeds you have listed?

Do they prefer the size of a Golden or the size of a Springer (they're VERY different in height and weight)

My experience with Springers is in a boarding environment where they're not at their best but the ones I have met have been frankly nuts - stressy, over the top and hyperactive. They're not used widely as Customs and Bomb Detection dogs because they're quiet and lazy! A well bred one raised properly would be a great dog in the right hands I have no doubt :)

Labs are intelligent dogs that need to be trained, personally not a dog I would recommend for a first time owner unless they intended to give the dog a job.

Have they consider a Cocker? Grew up with one, not a big fan now but a great kids dog none the less, and not as drivey as a Springer IME

What do they like about the three breeds you have listed?

Do they prefer the size of a Golden or the size of a Springer (they're VERY different in height and weight)

My experience with Springers is in a boarding environment where they're not at their best but the ones I have met have been frankly nuts - stressy, over the top and hyperactive. They're not used widely as Customs and Bomb Detection dogs because they're quiet and lazy! A well bred one raised properly would be a great dog in the right hands I have no doubt :)

Labs are intelligent dogs that need to be trained, personally not a dog I would recommend for a first time owner unless they intended to give the dog a job.

Have they consider a Cocker? Grew up with one, not a big fan now but a great kids dog none the less, and not as drivey as a Springer IME

English Springers are lovely dogs but can be VERY high energy, especially working ones of course but I've seen plenty of show types that are high energy too. Any young dog left to it's own devices will make short work of your backyard. If you don't have a lot of time maybe a smaller, calmer dog might fit better. Goldens and Labs are lovely but they are Gundogs too and do better with lots of training and an outlet for their energy.

Hi they want a medium to large dog, so I think either size wouldn't matter. They have had dogs before when they were young adults, so have owned dogs before. But have never had a dog with the children. Are retrievers and Labradors similar in drive and excercise? and puppyhood?

I'm more inclined to feel that the first time family are actually better off with a puppy than with a Rescue dog.

It really depends on the dog of course and what it's background is. But a rescue can have some issues whereas the puppy is a clean slate. The important thing is they are willing to accept that the dog is their responsibility for life, that they take it to puppy school, keep it socalised and look after it accordingly.

Of the three you listed I would say Golden Retriever, but there are many other breeds that fit the bill.

Hi they want a medium to large dog, so I think either size wouldn't matter. They have had dogs before when they were young adults, so have owned dogs before. But have never had a dog with the children. Are retrievers and Labradors similar in drive and excercise? and puppyhood?

Any of those breeds is going to need more training and mental stimulation than just puppy school.

I agree Kavik, but if sensible people this can be done post puppy school with more home training and lots of public outings etc. Lots of puppy school people get the training 'bug' and decide to go further too, soon realising their pet (and they)need more.

All very out there breeds, my favourite group, gundogs!! :laugh::thumbsup:

It completely depends on the home. I had very boisterous dogs with young children but had very educated and tough kids and rules.

Generally (have to generalise sorry), those 3 breeds would knock over young children, would the family cope OK with this? still generalising....they all need a lot of exercise and mental stimulation, and some quite a bit of grooming, which it seems is OK with your friends, but it really is crucial to do the grooming. If they live in a humid area (QLD etc) they would have to watch for ticks and with floppy ears (esp the springers), ear infections etc. I know a friends GR got wet in a storm while she was at work and within a couple of days (because of constant humidity etc and the skin not drying properly) the dog had terrible skin infections and had to be shorn and much medications/creams etc for ages :( and this dog was very well cared for.

They are all gorgeous breeds, I'd hesitate to ever recommend a breed as it is dependent on too many variables. Do they have some sort of proper criteria? ALso do agree that often a dog a little older, who you can 'trial' in the family (eg. a rehome etc) is often a great way to make sure you have made the right choice if you are a little unsure of what you want.

Gundogs are extremely people orientated and need to be with their family. I've had 2 GRs, lovely. :) My neighbour has 4 kids, from age 2 to 15, and has 2 cockers who are just wonderful family dogs.

Edited by Monah

Any good reputable rescue will know its dogs and would only rehome to

an appropriate home.

I dont think that getting from a rescue is a negative, just because they

have come from a pound doesnt mean they arent fantastic dogs

I'm more inclined to feel that the first time family are actually better off with a puppy than with a Rescue dog.

It really depends on the dog of course and what it's background is. But a rescue can have some issues whereas the puppy is a clean slate. The important thing is they are willing to accept that the dog is their responsibility for life, that they take it to puppy school, keep it socalised and look after it accordingly.

Of the three you listed I would say Golden Retriever, but there are many other breeds that fit the bill.

It really depends on the individual dog as there is a lot of variation.

Personally I think Goldies are "softer" dogs in both looks and temperament, although I'd say the difference between GR and Lab temperament in general isn't alot.

In my experience, lab puppies are one of the cutest and naughtiest puppies! GRs tend to be more placid as puppies.

Labradors are great for really active families who do a lot of outdoor, high energy activity but may be a bit boisterous (depending on the dog) for more laid back families.

Although I know of a few that I would call low drive and low energy dogs.

Its all about the breeder- find the right one and ask for lower/energy drive dogs suited to a young family.

Edited by aussielover

Any good reputable rescue will know its dogs and would only rehome to

an appropriate home.

I dont think that getting from a rescue is a negative, just because they

have come from a pound doesnt mean they arent fantastic dogs

As you say, it would really depend on The Rescue Organisation. The dog. The family.

No. Not necessarily a negative but I've seen quite a few "Rescue disasters" over the years. Perhaps things are better organised these days, better screening, better compatabilities.

I have a rescue GR from a breed rescue and they matched her specifically to us. From a prior experience, I learnt how fraught with danger the whole process is, so its very important to go with the right organisation.

From my experience, if grooming and shedding arent issues, Goldies are fantastic family dogs. :thumbsup:

My one is the perfect kid buddy, soft in temperament, lots of energy, and all she wants is to be with her family. Preferably in a lap being patted. :laugh: Or chasing a ball!

She is the only one I have owned but I have spent time with many more and whilst all varying in personality, they all are quite soft in temperament. I may be wrong, but from my, limited, experience, Labs seem much less soft?

Certainly, even the well behaved ones I have met seem more drivey.

FWIW, I don't think bouncy big pups should be discounted for a young family. My sooky kids were only 3 and 5 and had to learn very quickly how to dodge the crazy staffy cross we had at the time!! Its character building! :laugh:

AND they grow up. Both the kids and the dog! Best to chose for the adult breed temperament in my opinion.

If they have never had a dog, I'd find an excellent breeder and get an lovely adult golden!

That was my experience for my first dog who was so laid back and just so easy! He was/is just one of those dogs that would sit around, get a pat and cuddle and he never got up to any mischief!

Best to chose for the adult breed temperament in my opinion.

If you're going to get an adult dog maybe...

Many young labs ended up in pounds and if they are lucky resuce beofre 12 months old because people see the lovely well trained adult labrador Guide Dogs, not realising the amount of training it requires to get them there and the fact they less than half that enter the program have a suitable temperament.

Many people say that it takes up to 5 or 6 years for a labrador to achieve a somewhat "adult" temperament :laugh:

An adult rescue from a reputable rescue org like GRR or labresecue may be a good option though.

A Finnish Lapphund could be something to think about. Great family dogs, though they're on the small side of medium and are less likely to accidentally hurt a child than an exuberant labrador.

We had Hungarian Vizslas as kids and they were great famiy dogs too, though the pups can be a bit over the top in my experience.