Could It Be Bloat? Urgent Please.

Kirislin

My friend just rang me concerned about her whippet. He had his evening meal about an hour ago and now looks uncomfortable. She said she fed him cooked chicken, some white rice and some kibble, it's not what he usually eats, I think it was left overs. She said his tummy seems a bit taut and he is not happy. I've never heard of bloat in whippets but I'm worried that is what he might have.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, she's already at the vet and he's being seen now. The vet said whippets cannot get bloat. Dogs under 30kgs wont get it, I dont know why, but I have never heard of a whippet with bloat before so I'm hoping he is right. They are concerned though as he seems in alot of discomfort.

wow, she's already at the vet and he's being seen now. The vet said whippets cannot get bloat. Dogs under 30kgs wont get it, I dont know why, but I have never heard of a whippet with bloat before so I'm hoping he is right. They are concerned though as he seems in alot of discomfort.

Ummm what :eek::mad Dachshunds are a known breed to suffer bloat. Saying dogs under 30kg don't bloat is ridiculous

Edited by stormie

The vet is a nob them ,dogs under 30 kg can & do bloat.

May not be as common but it certainly does happen.

Scary advice from a vet given that Bassett hounds are one of the worse bloat breeds & certainly don't weight that much,

even my own breed can come in under 30 kg & is high on the list for bloating

Ummm what :eek::mad Dachshunds are a known breed to suffer bloat. Saying dogs under 30kg don't bloat is ridiculous

I've heard of smaller dogs getting a torsion, which I think can happen with bloat, cant it, or am I getting all mixed up now. I was surprised when she told me he'd just said a blanket statement that dogs under 30kgs cannot get bloat, but certainly I've never heard of a whippet getting it.

I just hope whatever he's got he's getting the right treatment, I bred this boy and I love him as one of my own.

4848137789_0f2d895877.jpg

Edited by Kirislin

That is utter BS! If this is her regular vet, I'd be thinking about looking for a new one. I hope her whippy is OK.

Edited by New Age Outlaw

That is utter BS! If this is her regular vet, I'd be thinking about looking for a new one. I hope her whippy is OK.

No, it's the emergency vet.

Fingers crossed him and my thoughts are with you and his owner. Poor boy.

On a side note-That vet needs to be educated, he is so wrong! That is what happened to Bonnie, she was only 23-24kg, can not belive he came out with that nonsense.

Well she's just phoned me and they're on their way home. She's (the owner) not really sure what it was but he's had an injection of some kind, I'm guessing it might be a pain killer/relaxant type like they give colicy horses but I dont really know. I asked her if they said it could develop into a torsion but she didn't know. Just glad he's OK, I think she did the right thing taking him to the vet.

Edited by Kirislin