Could It Be Bloat? Urgent Please.

Kirislin

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people ask on forums if a dog should go to the vet? If you don't know, just go. That's what everyone online is going to say anyway.

It isn't my dog, my friend rang me because she wasn't sure what was wrong with him, she didn't ask me to ask here, that was my choice. As I've already said, I thought it sounded like it might be bloat but I had NEVER heard of a whippet getting bloat before, also since I couldn't actually see the dog I wasn't sure of the symptoms. As it happened she did take him to the vet pretty quickly.

I've just got off the phone from her and he is fine this morning.

Edited by Kirislin

The jury is out on whether you should elevate their food bowls, in the greyhound community it is 50/50 up or down

Ok, I didn't know that. It makes me feel a little better (if true) as the only thing I could think of that we did wrong that night was that my OH fed him (usually I do) and I forgot to tell him to elevate his bowl - something I ALWAYS did. We have both been feeling very guilty about this as it was a "one-off" and we lost him :cry:

Great news Kirislin, I'm glad he's ok (assuming no news is good news) :thumbsup:

The jury is out on whether you should elevate their food bowls, in the greyhound community it is 50/50 up or down

Ok, I didn't know that. It makes me feel a little better (if true) as the only thing I could think of that we did wrong that night was that my OH fed him (usually I do) and I forgot to tell him to elevate his bowl - something I ALWAYS did. We have both been feeling very guilty about this as it was a "one-off" and we lost him :cry:

Great news Kirislin, I'm glad he's ok (assuming no news is good news) :thumbsup:

I talked to her this morning and he's fine. :)

Why do people ask on forums if a dog should go to the vet? If you don't know, just go. That's what everyone online is going to say anyway.

It isn't my dog, my friend rang me because she wasn't sure what was wrong with him, she didn't ask me to ask here, that was my choice. As I've already said, I thought it sounded like it might be bloat but I had NEVER heard of a whippet getting bloat before, also since I couldn't actually see the dog I wasn't sure of the symptoms. As it happened she did take him to the vet pretty quickly.

Yes, I know, I read it. :shrug: I don't want to be a critical, judgemental grump and this isn't aimed particularly at you. I really do wonder, though, why people (not you in particular) bother asking online. What do they expect? If it's a potential emergency, all anyone can say is "best go to the vet".

Yes, I know, I read it. :shrug: I don't want to be a critical, judgemental grump and this isn't aimed particularly at you. I really do wonder, though, why people (not you in particular) bother asking online. What do they expect? If it's a potential emergency, all anyone can say is "best go to the vet".

To be fair, not every dog owner is super dog savvy and knows exactly what things to watch out for. They probably aren't sure if it's worth rushing their dog to an expensive emergency vet for and are seeking reassurance or confirmation that they should. I don't think there's anything wrong with coupling that with a bit of common sense. :)

If I rushed Moose off for every cough, weird noise, stinky smell, I'd be a very poor woman!

Edited by moosepup

My dog was fed from an elevated bowl and an non-elevated bowl and got it three times. Once was from eating dry lupins though so that one doesn't count! Sometime you do everything "right" and it still happens please tell your husband not to feel guilty, it sometimes just happens because it does.

Maybe there should be a sticky telling people what is a potential emergency that needs immediate veterinary attention? That way they can get the instant information they need to make a quick decision.

If you live by yourself sometimes you just want to talk about it too. You just want to have that general panicked 'shit-what-do-I-do-now' convo.

Depending on were you live it is also not that easy to just rush off to a vet. Not everyone has the funds to pay for an emergency or out of hours visit either so checking on whether it is an emergency is a good idea.

And really does it matter if someone wants to put a post like this up. Don't read them if it bothers you so much.

I will be eternally grateful for the DOL members that were here for me during my 2 emergencies.

Glad to hear doggie is ok today.

If you live by yourself sometimes you just want to talk about it too. You just want to have that general panicked 'shit-what-do-I-do-now' convo.

Depending on were you live it is also not that easy to just rush off to a vet. Not everyone has the funds to pay for an emergency or out of hours visit either so checking on whether it is an emergency is a good idea.

And really does it matter if someone wants to put a post like this up. Don't read them if it bothers you so much.

:thumbsup: my bolded .

To be fair, not every dog owner is super dog savvy and knows exactly what things to watch out for. They probably aren't sure if it's worth rushing their dog to an expensive emergency vet for and are seeking reassurance or confirmation that they should. I don't think there's anything wrong with coupling that with a bit of common sense. :)

If I rushed Moose off for every cough, weird noise, stinky smell, I'd be a very poor woman!

exactly, plus my friend isn't on DOL, she rang me for my opinion. She cannot afford to go rushing to the emergency vet for every out of the ordinary little thing that happens after hours.

and Yes to Jules P as well.

My dog was fed from an elevated bowl and an non-elevated bowl and got it three times. Once was from eating dry lupins though so that one doesn't count! Sometime you do everything "right" and it still happens please tell your husband not to feel guilty, it sometimes just happens because it does.

Three times!!! - you have my sympathy :( . I find it difficult enough worrying about my other two (GSD & GR) and whether it might happen to them, without having had one dog going through it again and again. It must be a real worry for you OSoSwift

Edited by gsdog2

It's hard as he blames himself for not doing it and I felt it was my fault as I didn't let him know and I'm the one that usually fed Silas

Edited by gsdog2

Three times!!! - you have my sympathy :( . I find it difficult enough worrying about my other two (GSD & GR) and whether it might happen to them, without having had one dog going through it again and again. It must be a real worry for you OSoSwift

Yep it makes you very on edge. I found it very stressful and also worrying about her grandaughter - who never got it. There are a few reasons I didn't get another Dobe but the stress around potential bloat was a significant one. Incidentally she died at nearly 12 from an issue unrelated to bloat or GDV.