Dogs Killing Sheep - Vic

Alyosha

A timely reminder for owners to keep their dogs under control. I know accidental escapes happen but a string of separate attacks like this may not all be the result of accidents. Poor farmers and poor bloody sheep.

Link to story (WARNING - article contains image of sheep that may distress some readers)

http://sl.farmonline.com.au/news/state/livestock/sheep/dogs-kill-120-sheep/2293150.aspx

DOGS have killed more than 120 sheep valued at about $20,000 in south-west Victoria, prompting police warnings to district dog owners.

Dog owners in the Broadwater, Bessiebelle and Orford district have been warned to lock up their hounds after three attacks led to the sheep and lambs being killed and several others injured on three nearby properties.

Macarthur police Leading Senior Constable David Rook said even though two dogs were shot and killed while mauling sheep at a Mount Misery Road property this week, there was nothing to suggest the three attacks were linked.

"We're warning all dog owners to make sure their dogs are under control,” he said.

“We believe there are other dogs roaming in the district," he said.

"If don't owners are not responsible they face being charged, forced to pay damages and having their dogs shot if they are caught in the act of attacking or near a paddock containing livestock," he said.

Sheep killed in the attack included stud Merino ewes and their lambs, Romney and crossbred ewes with lambs. The flock owners are negotiating compensation for their losses.

Broadwater farmer Terry Rowbottom, 61, said he had been farming in the area all his life and having to shoot two dogs attacking his sheep earlier this week had been distressing.

"On Monday evening just after 5pm I went to a paddock and when I got there the whole mob was very distressed, clearly distressed," he said.

"I went 150 metres into the paddock and came across one mauled sheep. All up we lost 25 lambs and seven ewes. There are some others that will have to be put down and we'll have to wait about a fortnight before we know what the total losses are going to be."

Mr Rowbottom said he shot both the large dogs, which each weighed more than 40 kilograms, while they were attacking his sheep.

"I've reported the matter to police and we'll make an insurance claim. At the time of the attack, the dogs' owner had notified the ranger and was out looking for his dogs," he said.

"He was doing everything he could to find his dogs. I didn't like shooting the dogs but if they had got away they would probably have gone home and attacked someone else's sheep at another time.

"It's been pretty stressful for everyone involved. There's been more than 100 sheep lost in the three attacks," he said.

One of the three flock owners affected said it was the fourth time in recent years his sheep had been attacked by dogs.

“This effort has been the worst,” he said.

Link to story (WARNING - article contains image of sheep that may distress some readers)

Jesus, that's disgusting. And if the farmer had shot those dogs there'd be serial whingers complaining about it. More bloody irresponsible dog owners. I understand that sometimes dogs just get out but 100 livestock in 3 attacks?

raz- dogs were shot.

"I went 150 metres into the paddock and came across one mauled sheep. All up we lost 25 lambs and seven ewes. There are some others that will have to be put down and we'll have to wait about a fortnight before we know what the total losses are going to be."

Mr Rowbottom said he shot both the large dogs, which each weighed more than 40 kilograms, while they were attacking his sheep.

ugh to the second comment on the actual site. I thought that was just an hysteria thing and it was proven to be false hence why the GSD ban was lifted? I knew farmers were afraid they would breed with dingoes or wild dogs ect but thought it was just a fear? Wonder if it really happened or if this woman is just repeating garbage that has been recycled for "34 yrs" :confused:

Any breed of dog can breed with dingoes. So yes, when people dump their entire dogs they may well breed with dingoes and they may well kill stock. All of Australia's wild/feral dogs (not dingoes) are dogs that were dumped/strayed or the offspring of such dogs.

maybe these were WILD dogs???

"Mr Rowbottom said he shot both the large dogs, which each weighed more than 40 kilograms, while they were attacking his sheep.

"I've reported the matter to police and we'll make an insurance claim. At the time of the attack, the dogs' owner had notified the ranger and was out looking for his dogs," he said.

"He was doing everything he could to find his dogs. I didn't like shooting the dogs but if they had got away they would probably have gone home and attacked someone else's sheep at another time."

Sorry but I am sick of farmers complaining about the death of stock to dogs, dingos and foxes.

What are they doing to protect them?

Why are farmers not embracing livestock guardian dogs such as the maremma sheepdog?

I have stopped and photographed paddocks with upto a hundred lambs and ewes slaughtered. I put a note in the farms letter box giving them the contact details of my maremma's breeder.

I was talking to a farmer last weekend who has had 4 maremmas over the last 20 years for his goats, he went from a 99% kid loss to 100% success rate. :thumbsup:

Why are farmers not embracing livestock guardian dogs such as the maremma sheepdog?

for many reasons, I suspect ...

This would be a good topic to suggest to an editor of publications like The Weekly Times , or Stock & Land . Write to the editor ,and suggest they do a story ........ now is a good time because ewes are dropping lambs everywhere , and farmers may appreciate some resources - somewhere they can read of peoples' experiences,and what having an LGD entails . ...

You are preaching to theconverted here- Why not take your message straight to those who will benefit most :)

Farmers should not have to keep Maremmas to stop wandering dogs killing their stock! The dogs shouldn't be there in the first place. In this area dingos cause minimal losses, it is usually the bored, untrained wandering dogs which get into trouble.

I think if a farmer sees a dog killing his sheep, he is within his right to protect his stock.

My old dogs wandered once at home and chased some cattle, the farmer came to us and kindly told us if he saw them chasing them again he would shoot them. So we made sure they had no reason to wander, but as sad as it would have been, I feel like he had the right to shoot at them if they were on his property when they shouldn't be.

Sorry but I am sick of farmers complaining about the death of stock to dogs, dingos and foxes.

I have stopped and photographed paddocks with upto a hundred lambs and ewes slaughtered. I put a note in the farms letter box giving them the contact details of my maremma's breeder.

I was talking to a farmer last weekend who has had 4 maremmas over the last 20 years for his goats, he went from a 99% kid loss to 100% success rate. :thumbsup:

I have lived on the land most of my life and been involved with properties that run in excess of 10,000 sheep. To say that you are sick of farmers complaining, you have no idea the amount of time and money spent on trying to maintain and ensure the safety of their livestock. Many smaller properties use alpacas successfully. But there are a number of reasons that maremma are not used on larger properties, one is that bait is laid around certain times of the year (mainly lambing time) and the dogs will eat it, another is the maremma being protective can often be a problem when trying to muster, there are many more. Pet dogs are the main problem with losses on sheep properties more than foxes and dingoes. Pet dogs kill and maul for fun, dingoes and foxes mainly kill for food. I could go on and on on this subject. I have a real hate for people that let their pet dogs run loose in their neighbourhood/area.

Edited by Legacee

I have lived on the land most of my life and been involved with properties that run in excess of 10,000 sheep. To say that you are sick of farmers complaining, you have no idea the amount of time and money spent on trying to maintain and ensure the safety of their livestock. Many smaller properties use alpacas successfully. But there are a number of reasons that maremma are not used on larger properties, one is that bait is laid around certain times of the year (mainly lambing time) and the dogs will eat it, another is the maremma being protective can often be a problem when trying to muster, there are many more. Pet dogs are the main problem with losses on sheep properties more than foxes and dingoes. Pet dogs kill and maul for fun, dingoes and foxes mainly kill for food. I could go on and on on this subject. I have a real hate for people that let their pet dogs run loose in their neighbourhood/area.

Good post. When I was a kid our family dog went wandering and hamstrung a calf. The owner was reasonable. No hysteria, just laid it on the line . . . you pay damages and get rid of the damn dog. Next time I'll shoot. We rehomed the dog and I'm sure my parents paid damages. The dog escaped and came home (almost 200 km), then disappeared. I think my parents had the dog pts, though they didn't announce it. It is totally unacceptable for dogs to go walkabout and run livestock. Some ID system is required, so the dog's owners can be held responsible. Owners of who allow their dogs to wander deserve harsh repercussions. Not sure I want to see urban/suburban folks carrying shotguns. Wandering pets are a HUGE problem, both town and country.

I'm sick to death of dog owners who don't keep their bloody dogs at home!

The more roaming dogs that end up with a bullet the better.

Isn't that like saying, I'm sick to death of these people getting burgled, they should invest in security guards and better alarms for their homes?

It's not the farmer's job to make his stock invincible.

On the other hand, when someone's dogs are caught on farm land, maybe they should be made to pay for a Maremma for that property (including food and shelter and ongoing veterinary costs!), or maybe deer fencing, whichever the farmer prefers. Could get mighty pricey on a station with thousands of ewes!

GReat post Legacee, so true.

Totally on the farmer's side with this one. And any wandering dog(s) can do damage. We had friends who had large property at Mudgee and in addition to their working dogs, had two Scottie terriers, who were not contained. Guess who was caught in the act, killing sheep on a neighbouring property? On their own, no problem, but together, a killing machine.

We have a small place in the central tablelands and often the culprit is a poorly trained pig dog, who has no recall and then ends up in the bush. The farmers near us shoot first and ask questions later, especially when the dog is hanging of the throat of one their animals.