Do Your Dogs Climb? Mine Do

newfsie

Here are some pics of Annabelle and Tessa...They love to climb on our walks by the Murray and Lake Hume. Both love agility And always choose to do it on most of our walks where the opportunity is to climb. They started low, but have got quite high now......

Pulled these pic, because someone said newfies are awkward, so I emailed them these pictures of Annabelle (newfie)

This all started when I started teaching hind leg awareness. Tessa and Annabelle also do ladders now. And Tessa loves heights

2323577420048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

Annabelle climbing (with Tessa and Mike)

2337451830048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

Tessa and Annabelle

Here are some more of them climbing, but not entries

2031747260048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

Annabelle being quite adventurous

2671618390048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

Just to show you how high one of the previous pics was

2353186840048736690S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the highest Tessa goes

Gorgeous pics! Mine can all climb up on my raised garden beds in the courtyard so they can look over the fence when I lock them in there.

And Isaak learned to climb a tree outside the courtyard when Dusty was in season and locked in there. Fortunately he couldn't figure out how to get from the tree onto the courtyard.

What awesome photos :D

My bigger boy, Zeke the Lab cross, doesn't climb much - he has badly formed back ankles and has had arthritis since age five, so he doesn't trust his balance. But my last dog was a very agile little Jack Russell cross, Jayne, he climbed all the time. We used to walk down by a river, and he and I always sat on a log that stuck out over the water while Zeke swam. Jayne never did like to go more than belly-deep, he was just a people-dog who wanted to hang out with you even on a walk.

Thanks for this thread Newfsie... that was a nice memory I hadn't relived for a while :) And it's always nice to see other people's dogs getting out and about!

ours will climb large leaning trees and rocks when hunting rabbits or cats .. and of course the working dogs will scale all sorts of fences when with sheep . I would not ever ask a dog to climb a ladder ..don't have reason to ...they can't use a paintbrush ;)

:laugh: :laugh: If they could only paint, that would be great. the ladder was just about teaching a skill....But the teaching of the skill made the dogs made the dogs try things for themselves. They go on their own little climbs when we are out walking, except the last picture. Tessa was asked to do it. And because it is so high, hubby was there to catch her just in case. But she was good at it :)

I had a mini dachy once who was quite an avid climber... Obviously given his proportions ladders where out of his physical capability but he most certainly did try. But For everything else he would hop from object to object to get to the highest point like a cat. It was not uncommon to walk into a room and find him up somewhere a dog shouldn't be like on a bookshelf or something. Eventually stuff had to be rearranged to stop him from magyvering his way to the highest vantage points.

What do you mean they cant hold a paint brush? theirs a perfectly good paintbrush already attached to the rear end! Just add paint! :rofl:

What?? You mean people have dogs that don't climb?? I need to do some research into these types of dogs before I get another :laugh:

Hubby is a builder and sometimes brings his ladders in the backyard and leans them up against the fence so I have to go lay them down so that the dogs don't go up them and over the fence. Froggy has a plank (kinda like the walk on of a dog walk) to get into the second storey of her kennel.

One day I was on the roof putting up Christmas lights and turned around to see Saxon half way up the ladder - not a skill I have taught any of them but they just do it!

Erik is part cat.

It also started kind of with teaching hind end awareness. And balance. Things like the one in the video he won't do unless asked, usually. I didn't actually originally ask him to do that one. I asked Kivi and he got all outraged and insisted on doing it himself. Video proof was requested, so I went back and asked him to film it. :) He will quite happily jump onto boulders and logs and climb around. With very little encouragement he will scale up boulders over my head height. As long as they have a slight inward slope he can run up them. I did see him once jump from one boulder onto another with a nearly verticle face and just cling there like some kind of mountain goat. He gets all his weight on the lower set of legs and he is quite comfortable.

Beautiful Pic's Newfsie & great utube clip Corvus. What clever kids we have :laugh:

Sonny has always been a very good climber & Stella is following in his foot steps which is great. We do a bit of rock climbing

down at the beach. Sonny climbs a ladder with ease to get into the back of the land cruiser. He is too heavy for me to lift since he is no longer a pup. LOL

He weighs half what I weigh, at 23 kg, he's a big, beautiful boy.

Edited by BC Crazy

Tibbies have hare-feet like mountain goats & their Himalayan past has left them with the right 'head' for heights. People often find their Tibbie sitting on a window-sill high above the ground. They're so sure-footed that they won't come to grief.

Our Tibbie girl got accidentally locked out one night, in a dreadful storm. We searched all over the yard for her & insde the downstairs storeroom. No sign of her. Then someone looked up. She was perched on a high shelf in a pile of towels. She'd climbed the ladder leaning against the shelves.

Another Tibbie owner was working up on his roof & felt a dig in his ribs. It was his Tibbie who'd climbed the ladder to join him.

Guest Black Obsession

Great photos, Newfsie. Thanks so much for sharing :)

I've never owned a dog that climbed...and I had no idea they could. You learn something new every day.

And Hind Leg Awareness sounds very interesting. What exactly is it and how did you first come across it?

Eric is really good being so short in the leg and having the balance to get up. Tessa also loves walking all the green poles. It seems that it gives them a new dimension in life when they learn......

Esky is awesome, he also has balance...... The birdbath :thumbsup::laugh: :laugh: , just so funny

If you want some quick lessons on hind-leg awareness. kikkopup on youtube has some great lessons