My Dog Won't Even Do A Simple "drop"

I have just enrolled my two at K9 Four paws. I am planning to rotate between the two each week. Arnie had his first lesson last week (foundation class) and he will do anything for food so I am not worried about him. However Lola is very, very stubborn and I am worried she is just not going to 'get it'. lol

I have tried for the past week just to get her to drop (down) and it's just not happening. First thing I tried was the luring technique from a sit position, but she just doesn't keep her butt on the ground. I have tried to push her down slightly but she digs her paws in and refuses to move and I don't want to push her to hard and hurt her. The next thing I tried was sitting on the ground and putting one leg up, then trying to lure her under my leg with the food. She puts her head under my leg and doesn't move!!

Does anyone have any other tips?? I'm not sure if I should just skip bringing Lola and concentrate on Arnie for a few months. In the first few classes will they train us how to teach such a basic command or is it sort of expected that she should already know such a basic thing?? I know its fault, I should have stuck with it when they were puppies. :o

Could you clicker train lola?

That way you could either reward tiny steps towards drop more accurately or you could cust click everytime she naturally goes to lie down, so hopefully she begins to offer the behaviour more often and then you can put a command on it.

I know some dogs find Drop more difficult and seem more reluctant to do it, but seeing as it is a natural position and a basic command I think you should perserve and you will eventually get it :)

One thing you could try is luring a fold-back down - down from a stand. I've found in my puppy classes that for some dogs, especially with structures like Lola's, it seems to be easier for them to achieve - and it's a nice drop to have in your tool box.

You need to do it with super yummy soft lickable food, and someone or something behind her to limit her backing up. You need to move the food (just in front of her nose - she can lick it if she likes) slowly downwards, and between her front legs. The first mark/click treat point is an elbow bend - as if she was doing a bow. Even a small one is a good start. After getting this a couple of times and rewarding, I would then withhold the reward until she gives you a bit more of a bend - ideally you'd be working towards her forearms flat on the floor. mark/click treat that a few times - big party - then repeat the luring process, slowly, but don't reward the elbow bend - wait her out - and sign of the butt lowering is a yes moment - but after that, you'll wait for the full drop.

If she really resists, just sadly close you fingers over the treat, with a "want to try again?" and repeat.

When you start doing this, it should be in a very low distraction environment. If she really resissts, I would put her away (where she can see what's happening) and try this or something else with your other dog for a while. Then give Lola another chance - happy, happy - you want to try now? That sort of thing.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Lola hasn't actually been to a lesson yet, tomorrow will be her first. So I guess I will just let them know she doesn't drop and they can help me with it. I just didn't want to look like an idiot in the group when she is being stubborn and everyone else's dogs are dropping for treats readily!! lol

Tassie - I will see what happens tomorrow, but that is another good suggestion to try.

Poodlefan - She does sit but at the moment only when she wants too/if the treat looks good enough. :banghead:

I was really happy with my choice of club though, from the first lesson the trainer was enthusiastic and made it enjoyable. Can't wait to go back every week, I just wish I could have done it earlier but couldn't due to work.

As someone who has a dog who drops from a sit, teach a fold back.. Drop from sit makes them lazy, and in my boys case he doesn't throw himself into drop he ALWAYS sits first and 'slides'. I'm finding it super annoying now i'm in a club that prefers folds, cos he just doesn't want to :laugh:

training is not a competition. I tell everyone at our club that. I dont want people to look at other peoples dogs etc you are there for your dog. If people are going to make snide comments or huff then find a different club. It should be about training, every dog is different and every owner has a different skill level hence being there to learn.

Take Lola, have fun and let the trainer work on it with you. Dont leave the 'too hard' dog or the bad habits just stick.

The Drop was a real sticking point for my Pug. He was really really stubborn about that, and he would only drop reluctantly and wouldn't stay dropped for long. For a while I wondered if looking up at me from a drop was hurting his neck or something, but since he looked at me when he was relaxing at home in the same position, I guessed not.

In the end I reinforced the drop at every single meal - we used TOT anyway, so I just got him to stay longer and longer in the drop before releasing him to eat. Now when he breaks from the drop - he doesn't actually get up, but commando crawls closer to his food dish if he thinks I won't notice and freezes with an innocent look if he catches me watching....norty boy!!! :laugh:

Might not help your Frenchie if she is not as food motivated as my Pug though!

The training club should help you to acheive this, if they can't help, find another club.

Let the trainers at the Club know you are having problems (they'll see it anyway). They'll help you. I find lure to the drop from a stand is easier. There is a technique to it in the way you hold the food in your hand and what you do with your hand to get the dog to push its weight into its butt so that it follows into the down position. Sometimes lure on its own doesn't work. There are combo's of methods that can be used. It's a matter of working one that suits the dog. They'll show you how, so don't worry about it at the moment.

Edited by Erny

training is not a competition. I tell everyone at our club that. I dont want people to look at other peoples dogs etc you are there for your dog. If people are going to make snide comments or huff then find a different club. It should be about training, every dog is different and every owner has a different skill level hence being there to learn.

Take Lola, have fun and let the trainer work on it with you. Dont leave the 'too hard' dog or the bad habits just stick.

Sorry to hi-jack but just wanted to say Thank you for this comment. I wish everybody thought this way about training. I have Sasha's advance obedience exam tommorrow. If we have to repeat then it's fine. She still struggles with Heeling and loose lead walking. She does it when we go for out normal walks and I practice heeling ( but not too long) but once we get to school she just wont do it.

But will keep practicing and will continue to make training fun for her.

I think you should take both dogs. In time Lola will learn. I taught Sasha drop with a cut up cabanossi. Is there a certain treat that Lola loves?

Thanks for all the replies again guys. I did take Lola this morning and it was great. The Instructor asked in the group who could do the 'drop' and there were 3 of us with dogs that couldn't. She came around and had a chat with me about different methods and thinks from stand is better, then as a few of you have mentioned to take it slow and treat first when she drops her elbows, even though its not a full drop. I'm going to work on it every day this week and see how she goes.

At the moment I can't give Lola the ultra yummy treats, she is on an elimination diet with kangaroo. So I cooked up some kangaroo steak, normally she gets raw, so this was a treat for her but possibly not the best. Anyway she did well with her sits and release command.

I'm really loving it there, all the instructors seem great and are happy to talk with us after the set time if we have any questions we want answered.

I think too that some breeds of dogs find that position uncomfortable or unnatural and its much harder to get them into that position. Bulldogs and Pugs would be high on that list! At puppy school, the only dog in our group who wouldn't drop was a little Aussie Bulldog. :) Its like making greyhounds sit - its just not natural so its more difficult to train. My Pia will sit but she looks like a bit of a retard when she does! LOL!

Thanks for all the replies again guys. I did take Lola this morning and it was great. The Instructor asked in the group who could do the 'drop' and there were 3 of us with dogs that couldn't. She came around and had a chat with me about different methods and thinks from stand is better, then as a few of you have mentioned to take it slow and treat first when she drops her elbows, even though its not a full drop. I'm going to work on it every day this week and see how she goes.

At the moment I can't give Lola the ultra yummy treats, she is on an elimination diet with kangaroo. So I cooked up some kangaroo steak, normally she gets raw, so this was a treat for her but possibly not the best. Anyway she did well with her sits and release command.

I'm really loving it there, all the instructors seem great and are happy to talk with us after the set time if we have any questions we want answered.

Am glad that you are having a good time there with the instructors. I think it really does help when they are happy to still talk to you after class if you have any questions. Meanwhile Sasha has decided today that she doesn't know how to stand for exam. She was getting really good at it and today when we practiced she just kept walking forward and sitting. So hoping that tommorrow she just remembers what she has to do. Not to sure but she was a bit funny today when I was practicing what we have learnt. Maybe she's just having a bit of an off day.

Dogs need to learn to learn, they're not always born as good students. It takes a while for dogs to realise that learning is worthwhile and rewarding, it takes a while for you to work out a communication/marker system. If you're new to training, it will take you a while to learn what you're doing as well.

When I got my last dog as an adult, he knew no verbal commands. It took literally weeks for me to teach him to drop on a verbal cue. But by the end of his life, he was a great student. The more he learned, the easier and easier it got to teach him new things. Eventually, he loved learning, and we even won a few (basic) competitive ob competitions. Just took a bit of work.

Don't worry, you'll get there. :)

Kirty - Yep the instructor mentioned this too and one of the other dogs in the group that couldn't do the drop was some sort of Bulldog cross. I must admit I have never seen a Greyhound sit in real life.

lilmisssascha83- What breed is Sacha and how long have you been taking her to obedience?

Staranais - Yes, I am new to training too (could you tell. lol) so your right, I am learning at the same time. thanks for the support. :thumbsup:

Well done Lindainfa and Lola - sounds like you had a lovely first day at class, and that it will be a nice fit for you. :D

I think what's been said about different dogs and teams proceeding at different paces is very very important. As far as I'm concenred, it's all aboiut building a good relationship with your dog, and the two of you having fun! And Staranais is absolutely right - the more they learn, the easier it is for them to learn. It helps if us humans can be pretty clear about what we want, and break it up into tiny steps - the catch phrase for that among trainers is - be a spolitter, not a lumper - i.e. be prepared to reward small building blocks .... and above all, enjoy :D .

Kirty - Yep the instructor mentioned this too and one of the other dogs in the group that couldn't do the drop was some sort of Bulldog cross. I must admit I have never seen a Greyhound sit in real life.

lilmisssascha83- What breed is Sacha and how long have you been taking her to obedience?

Staranais - Yes, I am new to training too (could you tell. lol) so your right, I am learning at the same time. thanks for the support. :thumbsup:

Sasha is a lab ( or lab x). She is a rescue dog who I adopted. We have been doing obedience just since the beginning of this year. But don't be fooled she is smart but is a playful girl so I have tried to make training fun. ( Almost a game, so she wants to learn)