Litters Due In December 2011

Bilbo Baggins

And after saying that I had no problems I've noticed that Blue has a little sore on his shoulder that I had thought was a bit of fluff so his collar is off and I'm trying to learn to tell the difference between the two reddest girls so I can take their's off.

snip a bit of hair off on one of their backsides

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And after saying that I had no problems I've noticed that Blue has a little sore on his shoulder that I had thought was a bit of fluff so his collar is off and I'm trying to learn to tell the difference between the two reddest girls so I can take their's off.

Different coloured texta in side the ear. Renew twice a day. Anywhere else it wears off.

a dot or two of whiteout on their rumps

Make sure they are not tight like a neck brace, and that your dog has a neck to attach a collar to - not all breeds have a decent neck length as babies.

As Rebanne suggested, you can cut them in half length ways to make them narrower - like the identa-kits.

Anyone looking for tiny collars for pups..I've managed to stock some in my store because I cater to a TON of toy breeds in the area.These are nylon, adjustable from 6" to 10" and some that go 8" to 12" They are clip ons with a good solid clasp. (not the soft plastic garbage ones you find in the reject shop) Although I"ll be sending them with my pups when they go, they can be reused on litters if need be.

Prices start at $6 each

I had 3 black pug girls in a litter that wer identical no white markings or anything to help identify, so I used a texta to write 1,2,and 3 on their bellies. I made little soft elastic collars that i used to identify which pups had been wormed, nails clipped had medication ect.

Good old fashioned rick rack ribbon still works nicely....when tied with a proper knot, won't slip tighter. Cut off when they get too snug, do it again. I've got new pup velcro collars brought in from the States that have little numbers as well as being coloured....but I have a feeling I'll be using ribbon for the first week or so.

It's easy with the sheps....they all look different so it's easy to tell them apart and we don't need ribbons/collars.

Make sure they are not tight like a neck brace, and that your dog has a neck to attach a collar to - not all breeds have a decent neck length as babies.

I think this may actually be the problem with Blue as his little sore is on the point of his shoulder - Fauves are supposed to have a short neck in their standard, plus being such little fatties their necks look shorter :laugh: . The others are still fine so I'm keeping an eye on them. I also think that next time I'll probably buy some Identa-kit collars to start with as they are thinner and have suggested this to Neil who is expecting a litter in January as I gave him my left over collars to trial.

I didn't have a problem with them last time, so didn't realise they were an issue right away. It is hard to get them set at a size where they are loose enough but at the same time not so loose that a front leg can get caught in it.

Now they are bigger, they can go into the kitten collars.

Sorry, can't remember who said to use the collars the other way around, that won't help as it is the sharp edge of the collar that has done the damage.

Kes is whelping...leave it to her to do things on her terms. She's not due til the 25th, and I swear she waited til Tony finished putting the whelping box in place, heat lamp etc....probably looked around and said..yup..this'll do....and went into labour! grrrr

Updates later...he's whelping, I'm driving to KCC to attend the Rally seminar.

Sorry, can't remember who said to use the collars the other way around, that won't help as it is the sharp edge of the collar that has done the damage.

Ah ok. I was thinking it was the scratchy side of the Velcro that was the issue.

Ok so I've made my own solution.

Ribbed cord ribbon, comes in many colours and sizes, and a press stud gun. Press stud gun cost me about $8 Ribbed ribbon was $0.60 per metre. So you can put 2/3 studs on each length of ribbon to make them adjustable or just make new ones every so often. It's REALLY easy !

Just make sure you can get replacement studs that fit the gun, unlike my STUPID Spotlight store that stocked a gun and studs of a completely different size. doh.gif

Kes is whelping...leave it to her to do things on her terms. She's not due til the 25th, and I swear she waited til Tony finished putting the whelping box in place, heat lamp etc....probably looked around and said..yup..this'll do....and went into labour! grrrr

Updates later...he's whelping, I'm driving to KCC to attend the Rally seminar.

Not great news unfortunately. 6 still born and two that didn't make it. That's breeding for you...anyone out there thinking of doing this sort of thing...wish they would really see the down side. Mother dog is looking for pups....normal behaviour of course. Tony frustrated and exhausted from the ordeal. She was on day 57 so not a big deal really...we suspect detatched placentas and it appears that the dead pups were about 24 to 36 hours dead when whelped. Nothing much a person can do in that situation.

Bekki's litter doing great....and I"ll start preparing for my girl now.

So sorry angelsun, it must be heart wrenching for you and mum. Breeding is a tough game. We had one mummified pup and one tiny who never got going but we just had to focus on the lovely pups we did have. Nothing like what's happened to you. You've had such bad luck trying to get them pregnant - to get this far and then end up with none is just not fair.

May the pups run free over the rainbow

Edited by Jetpoint GSP