Wary Of A Particular Breed... Anyone Else...?

WillowGirl

Never said the owners weren't to blame. Their owners are morons. But I am only human, doesn't make me like these dogs and I won't ever forgive their behaviour and what scars they have left on me, or their owners for being the idiots in the first place for allowing them to be outside. I would be very happy if they did not live in the neighbourhood anymore, taking their idiot owners with them, because I walk past this house twice daily to get to work and it causes me upset every time I walk past. As my first (and hopefully only) attack, I did not think I would have to carry an umbrella with me in the middle of summer in case a dog rushed me on a public street. And yes, I was wearing shorts being so hot so my leg got a nice bite. Oh, and I never mentioned the breed because it doesn't matter :)

I do see where you are coming from, I really do Souff, but not everyone can be prepared like that nor can we expect everyone to be so dog savvy. I don't classify myself as completely stupid with dogs, nor completely savvy, but the best I could do was not run for fear of coming off worse than I did. But had that been a child, I do not expect them to have had the same sense. They would have run, and would have been hurt badly.

Again I have to agree. I do believe it is the owners fault, I know it isn't the dogs fault per say as there owners are stupid and should take responsibility of owning a dog/s. While I do try to not be nervous when I see an unattended dog it is something that is difficult at times and as RubyStar has said we are only human.

Rottweilers I absolutely adore. ( I grew up with them and think they are just gorgeous. I think the same goes for German Shepherds). People usually are quite suprised that I grew up with Rotweilers as I'm quite petite and they just don't see me associating with them for some reason. I think that any dog can be aggressive etc. It doesn't matter on the breed. I've been scared out of my wits before when I was younger and a maltese came at me and then again a poodle. These are the breed of dogs that people "tend" to be afraid of. Its usually the larger breeds who have copped an unfair label.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am scared of Rottweilers.

They are dogs that were forged by the devil himself in the very depths of hell. They enjoy the taste of human flesh and have a keen sense of smell for our blood. Or so The Omen has led me to believe.

this has been my experience too!!!!!!!!!

Be afraid. Be very afraid :laugh:

IMGP8539.jpg

IMGP8567.jpg

I do agree there are some very scary Rotties out there, and even scarier Owners :mad

I am scared of Rottweilers.

They are dogs that were forged by the devil himself in the very depths of hell. They enjoy the taste of human flesh and have a keen sense of smell for our blood. Or so The Omen has led me to believe.

this has been my experience too!!!!!!!!!

Be afraid. Be very afraid :laugh:

IMGP8539.jpg

IMGP8567.jpg

I do agree there are some very scary Rotties out there, and even scarier Owners :mad

Awww...what a beautiful Rottie!! :love:

I am most wary of SWF as a collective rather than a specific breed.

Without fail, if we encounter them on a walk, my dog gets rushed at complete with yappy barking and attempts to bite ankles.

This is why I am wary of old english sheepdogs, who I shall from hereon refer to as LWFs.

Guest donatella

i am weary of most dogs but not for me, for my little one when walking and only because one chomp and she's lunch :(

I am very wary of GSDs. I know some that I have met before and they are adorable BUT I've had a couple of very bad experiences before rescue and after rescue (one which nearly resulted in a bad bite to my face). Whilst I know that GSDs and many other gorgeous, well-tempered working breeds were designed to protect their places etc their bark and their stance whilst doing it is something I find terrifying. In saying that however - whilst I'm not as frightened of small dogs who protect their space I dislike it just as much.

I own a breed that every example I've met (and I've met most of those who live in Australia) is incredibly tolerant and not remotely protective. I don't ever want to own a dog that will guard its house or owners, I want a dog that will happily allow any Tom, Dick or Harry in regardless of their intentions. I love that my dogs happily sat/slept on their trolley for 9 1/2 hours being patted by everyone who walked past at the Melbourne Royal. That is, for me, a fabulous temperament but I understand that others would hate such a "pussy" :laugh:

I've seen a bucketload of frightened dogs in the pound - only a few have stood out as being very, very frightening, most have calmed down after a few days. The worst was a Rottweiler who after 2 weeks in the pound was still wearing the lead it came in on - no-one could get close enough to take it off. The second was a Labrador. After that a number of SWFs spring to mind. The GSD's I knew in the pound (same with the Boxers) were frighteningly dog aggressive which I also find terrifying. As I said above - I like soft, pussy dogs :laugh:

IMGP8567.jpg

What a gorgeous smile your Rottie has :love:

I tend to find Dachsunds quite feisty towards other dogs! It doesn't really worry me now, but my previous dog was quite reactive towards others dogs and certainly wouldn't take that sort of crap from a little dog, unlike my big sooky lab.

I used to worry that Clover would tell off other dogs especially ones that got in her face, although she never hurt them, it doesn't sound good and dog owners in my area are a bit precious lol

Not wary as a breed but wary when I'm walking the dogs and see other dogs off lead. The ones I am most wary of off lead are the labs. For some reason around here owners think its fine to let their lab come bounding up and loom over my dogs "he only wants to play" is the usual thing I get. Guess what, mine doesn't.

I am wary of English Toy Terriers ever since my boy was attacked whilst waiting to go in the ring by one. He was sitting at my feet and the ETT walked passed lunged and grabbed him him on the face. :mad

I should have reported the incident but honestly I was so shocked and concentrating on lessening the impact of the episode on my dog that it didn't occurr to me until we were on the way home.

I am extremely wary of very small dogs with owners who think they are 'precious' and allow them to snap, snarl and, yes, lunge and bite and after you have saved your dog, child or self from their sharp teeth, claim that "Oh, he/she is just playing and wouldn't hurt a fly'.:mad

I am also wary of bogan-seeming owners who actively encourage their dogs to posture. :mad

In both cases, I am sorry for the dogs but keep my distance.:(

Guest Black Obsession

I'm wary of German Shepherds and Bull breeds (sorry, but I am!).

I'm also wary of small white fluffies.

I'm wary of slobbery dogs when I'm walking mine before work. So many times I've had to go home and change my work clothes, having worn them for a whole 15 mins. Either that, or have someone at work point out the huge silvery patch of dried drool on the back of my arm or something :laugh:

(one day I'll learn, or change my morning routine!)

aussielover Zephyr can even smile whilst up side down :D

IMGP9483.jpg

Thanks Baileys mum. Both Baylee and Zephyr are pat tarts, which makes them both so good at public relations :D

was it you who had the Quasimodo look alike? Remember that funny photo

I am not particularly wary of any breed, certain dogs yes, but not a breed as a whole

The way i look at it, being wary of a breed as a whole means you can miss out on meeting some wonderful dogs

Well said Flaves! :thumbsup: I feel that at a time when dog laws are becoming downright insane we all should be sticking together rather then singling out breeds as a result of only a few misbehaving (and in resuce cases its often due to abuse or neglect). This mindset only feeds into BSL and gives it more support i feel. I will give any dog a chance, regardless of what my experiences are with that breed in the past, i have met lovely goldens, labs and swf's and i have met aweful dogs of all these breeds too, one of which had the council visit the house numerous times as it was so dog and ppl aggressive :( Each dog is an individual and should not be judged as a preconception of the whole breed.

We use the term 'shifty' a lot at work. I'm wary of shifty dogs. Not so much the aggressive ones (we have ways, means and drugs for dealing with those), nor the fearful ones (ways, means and drugs for them too!) just the shifty ones. A slightly too confident manner, the mostly friendly until you want to do something one. Often owned by owners who either don't have a clue, or don't care (or both).

As a gross generalisation, I'm wary of Maremmas, Belgian Shepherds, red Cattle Dogs and anytime our nurses say their dogs need their butts examined because that nearly always means by me :laugh:

Kirislin, I do remember the photo :rofl: but no it was not me.

All breeds have good and bad dogs, just as all breeds have good and bad owners. I am more wary of areas than I am of dogs, as I know that irresponsible dog owners, with various breeds small and large, live in those streets and I will not subject my dogs to the consequences of their lack of knowlegde and care.

btw, most aggressive dogs are that way because of the people that own them, they are usually not born that way.

I had lengthy chat with a GSD breeder of 30 years experience about aggression in the breed which she maintains is in the dogs genetics, either they have an aggression tendency or they don't, and where it surfaces is when the owners of the potentially aggressive individuals haven't dealt with the problem adequately in training and management. She told us that she had aggression in her lines years ago that came in from one dog effecting a couple of generations mainly in males that were stranger aggressive and would instinctively bite people they didn't know, she said they were not safe dogs for anyone outside the family and she corrected the situation by breeding the trait out of her bloodlines?