Waiting

Jumabaar

Sitting here feeling miserable- a 6mth old pup from my last litter is on the way to the vet as he was frothing at the mouth :cry:

His amazing owner rang to let me know what was going on- but I almost wish she hadn't! So now I have to sit and wait for an update on what is going on and I am feeling sick. He is such an amazing little bloke that I borrow to show and he has fitted into their family so well. I don't want anything to happen to him. I lost his three brothers to a genetic condition (never heard of in my breed) so he was the last boy, and even more special. Finding out that he was clear made my month during a horrible time and now I am sitting here feeling like I did when the other pups in my litter were sick.

:cry: I just want him to be OK :cry: Breeding sucks

ETA: They have made it to the Animal Referral Hospital and he has been put on a drip.

Edited by Jumabaar

So now she just has to wait. I got a phone call as she was combing the back yard for anything that could have been eaten or brought in somehow but nothing is apparent. Understandable his family is very upset and I wish I could make everything better for them. Hopefully when they get all the bloods back there will be more answers.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

An update.

He came home this morning (I went to help pick him up) but had another seizure before midday. He was put on phenobarbytole (sp) but has now had three more seizures this evening and they are adding more drugs. Things are not looking good- Each seizure has a risk of brain damage and the fact that they haven't been controlled............. They don't think it is toxicity- they have done a full blood panel and everything came back normal, and also ran tox screen. He had not been off the property and his owner has done a very close inspection to see if there was anything he could have helped himself.

I am sitting crying over the lovely pup that fitted into his home so beautifully and had so much potential. I am also worried about the pups that I kept. If it turns out to be epilepsy everything I own will be desexed. It was only my second litter from my foundation bitch- there were no dramas like this in the first litter. I guess I am just not cut out for it all. :cry:

Still at a loss as to how this all happened. He was fine this time last night. He will be 7mths old tomorrow

Edited by Jumabaar

An update.

He came home this morning (I went to help pick him up) but had another seizure before midday. He was put on phenobarbytole (sp) but has now had three more seizures this evening and they are adding more drugs. Things are not looking good- Each seizure has a risk of brain damage and the fact that they haven't been controlled............. They don't think it is toxicity- they have done a full blood panel and everything came back normal, and also ran tox screen. He had not been off the property and his owner has done a very close inspection to see if there was anything he could have helped himself.

I am sitting crying over the lovely pup that fitted into his home so beautifully and had so much potential. I am also worried about the pups that I kept. If it turns out to be epilepsy everything I own will be desexed. It was only my second litter from my foundation bitch- there were no dramas like this in the first litter. I guess I am just not cut out for it all. :cry:

Still at a loss as to how this all happened. He was fine this time last night. He will be 7mths old tomorrow

Jumabaar, how awful for you and the family involved! :cry:

Just one thing, don't throw the baby out with the bath water in regards to breeding. It may not be genetic as there are many causes of epilepsy and I would at least investigate further before deciding what to do. JMO

Edited by hilaryo

Sorry to hear :cry:

I unfortunetly went through a situation this year when one of my pups got a diseases and died when only 14 weeks old. She was my favourite from the litter. I am still sad when I think about it or look at the pictures of the litter :cry:

The vet who treated the puppy told the owner it was genetic. Needless to say I was very worried :( I arrange to speak to the vet who treated the puppy and he told me I have nothing to worry about and when I asked him about being genetic he did not having evidence to back this. Turns out it was just very very unlucky. Why did he say it then!!!! Very frustrating. My vet assured me I have nothing to worry about.

So maybe......in time you will get more information and then can then decide if you will breed again. At first the situation is so upsetting for all involved that it can be hard to get the real facts and think straight.

Oh Jumabaar I'm so sorry this has all happened. If breeding didn't break our hearts sometimes we wouldn't be doing it right. :grouphug:

Could he have a head injury? I hope he pulls through ok and you find the strength to consider breeding again one day.

Edited by Alyosha

sorry to hear that Jumabaar, have they done a full thyroid test? Many vets don't do the full one unfortunatly.

Breeding can be heart breaking but don't make any decissions just yet. Give yourself time to get over the shock. There are some great forums around for epi owners, they give support and advise.

More news- he has not fitted overnight. But when the pheno was wearing off he became very distressed and was vocalizing. He is crate trained and the vet was concerned because it just didn't seem like normal behavior so they gave him the pheno early so he didn't cause himself to seizure again. They are very worried that he has suffered brain injury.

He is being put on oral pheno to see if he does betteron it- he is completely knocked out at the moment by the IV dose.

We get another update at 2 but it's looking worse and worse.

I have a friend who had something similar to this.

The dog, nine months old, had all the bloods come back clear as with a complete thyroid test, still bamboozled as to why this happened she was taken to Sydney Uni and had ultra sounds and an MRI and still the vets could not work it out, so they sent the results of every test the dog had to a nuero surgeon in the USA, the dog was on preventative seizure drugs, a couple of days later the results came back from the USA and the diagnosise was a severe inner ear infection,caused by a moist atmosphere and not preventing water getting into the ear when bathing, she was put on very strong anti biotics and continued on the seizure medication for a month to cover, now you would not know that there was anything wrong with her, once the ear infection was cleared up all well and good.