Amber Isn't Good

JulesP

Is the vet treating the liver? or just giving antibiotics.

Hope she improves soon.

Not nice for either of you.

You can't really treat the liver as such. She is on a special diet to help the liver. Diuretics to get rid of fluid and now antibiotics. The antibiotics are to help remove the toxins that build up because her liver doesn't work.

There are some herbal things I could try but I think that they would be pointless in her case.

I found this video on You Tube of a pup showing HE symptoms. This is the aimless pacing side of it.

Now I am not suggesting you race out and purchase this product and give it to your dog.

I would suggest you speak to your vet and discuss it.

There was a product on the market called Methonine 90.

I used to give it to my greyhounds for liver problems.

I thought it may be a helpful product for you to think about.

It may not even be available today.

It just came to mind and I thought it may be helpfull.

Thanks everyone for the supplement suggestions.

She hasn't had any tremors for a couple of days and seems to be walking better. She looks brighter this morning. I've noticed a bit of vomiting happening the last few days which is a problem mainly because I don't want her chucking her tablets up.

Amber is looking heaps better now. Not depressed and no more fitting :thumbsup: That was pretty scary, I was pretty close to taking her to be PTS. Right now you wouldn't know anything was wrong with her.

Thanks again for the support. I'll try not to have hysterics every time she has a turn for the worse.

:)

constructive hysterics are allowable :p

:rofl: - and if you can't have constructive hysterics (or even plain ones) among fellow dog tragics, then it'd be a poor world. :D

Seriously Jules - what a relief. Horribly scary - but I guess you now know that she can bounce back from that - good girl Amber. Just keep having fun with her.

Glad to hear she is feeling better, the poor little pet! As this conditions is brought on by an accumulation in the bloodstream of toxic substances that are normally removed by the liver it sounds like your Amber needs a complete detox. Have you considered trying Essiac for her? There is a woman in Melbourne that makes both tincture and capsules for animals so that it is easy to put it in their food or drink. Essiac is a blend of herbs and usually people take it for cancer maintenance or for a complete detox. There are now cases where it is being given to animals for a variety of disease with amazing results. If you want more info about it let me know and I will happily post it on here.

Wishing your Amber a full recovery.

• 2 weeks later...

Amber is going pretty well! Apart from a drop in endurance when walking she appears to be normal. This is the most positive I've felt since diagnosis. She still loves her crappy Hills food!

She is also being really cute with her tablets. She sits without me asking when I walk out at meal time looking super sad but lets me pop the tablets in her mouth and then she is all happy.

Apart from a bit of barking after meals there hasn't been any sign of HE. The barking might be her being a brat!

:thumbsup: Sounds good, Jules - nice to hear. Have to laugh at your description of her with the tablets - can just imagine.

My first dog, KelpiexBC Jess was hypothyroid and medicated with Oroxine morning and night for 13 years. I used to put per tablets in a small piece of food, and have a couple of unloaded pieces. Of course BC Sammy had to have treats too, and he became classically conditioned to associate the rattle of the pill bottle with treats. Which made for some funny moments when the meds trolley came round when he was doing therapy dog work. He'd be sitting up very attentively waiting for his treats - patients loved it. :laugh:

:crossfingers: Amber's condition has settled down for the time being.