Solo Dog Owners

So after reading another thread I was amazed at how many owners have multiple dogs, some having an amazing number (no names mentioned Indigirl ;) ).

So I was wondering if there are many out there like me who have a solo dog. I must say that my situation is about being an apartment dweller and more about bleeding strata rules than practicalities. I have Tonka, a Papillon, and he seems very content on his own. He is very people focused and doesn't particularly play with other dogs at the dog park.

He spends up to five days a week at home alone and he is a happy little vegemite, and loves his home...

I'd love to hear of any others solos dogs out there :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a solo dog :)

Plenty of reasons that I only have one.

Mainly the fact I couldn't convince OH to let me get another husky :(

Plus we lived with inlaws for a while, and there was 5 dogs combined there.

I was waiting for her to mature a while before adding another pup.

Now would be the perfect time, but I can't decide on breeds.

So umm she'll be solo for a while to come yet :laugh:

i had one of those OH who didn't want another dog. I broke him down luckily. :thumbsup: My first dog loves playing with other dogs and its working out fantastically.

there is still a borzoi pup looking for a home you know ;) Well atleast last time i checked.

Another solo dog owner here too. :)

I'd love more but there are several reasons why. I'd like to blame my OH, who swears there will never be anymore pets, but even he knows its not up to him. ;)

I'd love to but we just don't have room. :(

My dog does not really like other dogs, so it's not a big deal for her. :)

We have decided that when one of ours eventually passes, we will only have one dog after that. My situation has changed from when we got the dogs, and I feel we would be better suited to being a single dog household. I actually said to my OH the other day that I probably wouldn't ever have more than one dog at a time again.

i had one of those OH who didn't want another dog. I broke him down luckily. :thumbsup: My first dog loves playing with other dogs and its working out fantastically.

there is still a borzoi pup looking for a home you know ;) Well atleast last time i checked.

:( He dislikes huskies enough as it is, I don't think the Borzoi spirit will suit him either :(

:( He dislikes huskies enough as it is, I don't think the Borzoi spirit will suit him either :(

Definitely an Akita!

We have decided that when one of ours eventually passes, we will only have one dog after that. My situation has changed from when we got the dogs, and I feel we would be better suited to being a single dog household. I actually said to my OH the other day that I probably wouldn't ever have more than one dog at a time again.

Yeah, one dog is so manageable. I sometimes think I will just go for it with another critter of some sort but it isn't a short committment and I think tht maybe my circumstances might change...

I said that......once........and now I have ummmmmmm three!!!!!

I think breed and personalities play a huge aprt. Two Dobe bitches was very hard work ( and would NEVER do that again!), two Whippets pretty cruisy and I could happily have a third :)

I just have the one dog, as my circumstances wouldn't allow me another at the moment, and I don't see me getting another until after i'm finished my degree!! But I must admit, I really enjoy just having Lottie - we have our routine down pat, and she's such an easy going dog, which really does make things easy :D

I was a solo dog owner for 7 yrs :) and i ADORED my little kelpie cross. I got a 2nd dog after we caught a guy breaking into our townhouse at night - while we were asleep inside! So I got a big scary dog. After owning 2 dogs I knew I would always own at least 2 from then on. I only have a pack of iggies atm becuase I am breeding and I live in a remote area. After doing a 10hour round drive several times for a dog mating i decided it was MUCH easier to have my own stud dogs.

I wont ever go back to just one dog, but when im old n grey will prolly just have 2.. or maybe 3 lol.

Another solo dog owner here. My boxer, Bruno is 9 months old now. He is becoming a really lovely family dog.:)

I think for the foreseeable future he will be a solo dog as I also have 2 sons aged 5 and 10. Life can be hectic but make sure I walk and train Bruno daily. Sometimes that's easier said than done! I'm not sure I could give another dog the time and attention it deserves so I'd rather not go there just now.

I can't help but ogle the lovely 'packs' that some people have though. I'm an admirer of many breeds....