For Those Of You Who Breed

wantsapuppy

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't breed, but from what I can see, it depends from breeder to breeder. Some match for temperaments, others are first come first serve..

My breeder was supposed to match for temperament but I did some.. er.. gentle persuading (read: annoying whinging) for my preference for colour, and I ended up with the exact one that I wanted. Of course next time I get a puppy, I'm definitely not going to be swayed by colour (and PMS/emotions) like the first time around, I'm just going to go with the flow and get what's given to me :) Breeders probably know best.

Do you decide which puppy goes to which family or does the Puppy decide so as in puppy will walk up to you when you arrive kind of thing . I know odd question

If I was sending a puppy Interstate I would make the decision. If people came to look at the puppies, usually the puppy would make the decision. :laugh:

Just remember that pup that 'walks up to you' may be the pushy dominant hard to control one in the litter :laugh: wheras the one that hangs out in the middle may be a better pick from a personality/temperament point of view for many people. IMO 'letting the puppy pick' could be a recipe for disaster or see people overlook a pup much better suited to their needs and I really hate it when I hear people are making choices purely based on this method. I would definitely be guided by the breeder on what pups in the litter would potentially suit a home best. They have been observing them every day for 8 weeks after all and know a LOT more about how their personalities are developing than can be told from one or two short meetings.

From my point of view - as a breeder it is my job to match pups up with the homes most suitable. And that means not placing a particular pup in a particular home if I dont beleive it will be suited personality-wise. Some potential purchasers may get a choice between a few pups in the litter (though not likely the whole litter), but others may not. It would depend on a lot of factors, including both the people and the pups.

Just remember that pup that 'walks up to you' may be the pushy dominant hard to control one in the litter :laugh: wheras the one that hangs out in the middle may be a better pick from a personality/temperament point of view for many people. IMO 'letting the puppy pick' could be a recipe for disaster or see people overlook a pup much better suited to their needs and I really hate it when I hear people are making choices purely based on this method. I would definitely be guided by the breeder on what pups in the litter would potentially suit a home best. They have been observing them every day for 8 weeks after all and know a LOT more about how their personalities are developing than can be told from one or two short meetings.

From my point of view - as a breeder it is my job to match pups up with the homes most suitable. And that means not placing a particular pup in a particular home if I dont beleive it will be suited personality-wise. Some potential purchasers may get a choice between a few pups in the litter (though not likely the whole litter), but others may not. It would depend on a lot of factors, including both the people and the pups.

Thaks so much for that . I can see why you would be choosing.

I remember a few years back a family who came to look at my puppies - their beloved black Standard boy had died of bloat & they definitely wanted another black boy. One of the white girls attached herself to the children & spent the whole of their visit playing with the children. The next time they came it was the same, so I said to them "well, looks like you've got a white girl!" They bowed to the inevitable and have never regretted it. The family were friends with my Vet, so I was able to keep track of the girl.

That's why I said that the puppies would often choose their owner - I have seen this happen several times.

Edited by poodlemum

I have been known to encourage people to think the puppy chose them . . . and if the puppy they fancy is suitable, I let it be. But if I sense a temperament mismatch . . . or a 'pet' home takes fancy to a show quality pup, I intervene. Sometimes the puppy that 'chooses' you is the pup who didn't get a full belly at the last feed and is hoping maybe you have goodies . . . while the pups who sleep it out are sated. I have also noticed that if you switch the neckbands or do not provide easy identifying marks, most people can't tell which puppy they picked out (or which puppy picked them out) from week to week. (This is particularly true with black and chocolate Labs . . . where you can't tell pups apart from colour alone).

That's why I said that the puppies would often choose their owner - I have seen this happen several times.

I think we originally posted around the same time. This above is different though as I am betting you knew the personality of the pup would suit them anyway and you encouraged them to choose this particular pup when they had something different in mind :laugh: . A little different from the puppy purchaser who insists that the one that races up to it first must be the one regardless of what the breeder thinks.

Edited by espinay2

we pick the pups for the owners ,those first on the list do get the benefit of picking from a choice that will suit.

The next factor will be whats in the litter .

If you want set colour & sex then your choices are limited until they are born.

If your open minded then the choices are easier but a good breeder will ask questions regarding what you want(pet,show,obedience,dogsport,field,retrieving etc ) and match accordingly.

:thumbsup:

this just to save me writing it all out again

Yep, me too - took the words right out of my mouth! :thumbsup:

In a litter of 10 with pretty uniform temperament, I often doubt my own ability to pick 'the best' puppy for the particular family. Why not let them feel that they got the 'best' pup . . . or the one they chose. Yah, there may be one or two pups that stand out, and, say, seem like they might be better for a more active home. But I go for predictable temperament, and I often think my attempts to choose amount to playing God.

I am not a breeder

With kaos she was the only one there, not much of a choice :laugh:

With Atlas i had a pick between 3 dogs, 2 reds and him. I was going to go with the red as i didnt like the Tri Colour, and the breeder wanted me to take a red so he could show and breed later.

Every time i went to see the pups the Tri came over to me, none of the others did. I was still set on taking the red boy (and he was actually named Katlas because he was going to be mine) but the last time i went to see the pups the little black one came over to me again... so i changed my mind :D

I have colour preferences in my animals, but if the perfect dog showed up that was a different colour i would take them. Colour isnt everything to me.

I am not breeder. Both my (Labrador) puppies were choosen for us by the breeder & we couldn't be happier. :)

And because we live 8 hrs away from both our breeders, we didn't even get to meet our boys until the day we picked them up.

Lots of communication via phone calls & emailed photos. :)

I haven't bred yet but with my three dogs, my maiden bitch was chosen for me and her personality suits us to a t,

she was returned to her breeder for 2 litters. I chose my second pup from her litter at birth from a picture, went and visited at 6 weeks (looking for show pup) breeder said these are the ones we are watching i kept getting drawn to my picture pup siad to breeder if she turns out i want her but i trust you. I got my girl, just something about her i was drawn to.

Second litter i wasn't getting a pup but kept watching one male, he was the breeders pick and he stayed with her then came to us at 6 months again personality fits perfectly

In a litter of 10 with pretty uniform temperament, I often doubt my own ability to pick 'the best' puppy for the particular family. Why not let them feel that they got the 'best' pup . . . or the one they chose. Yah, there may be one or two pups that stand out, and, say, seem like they might be better for a more active home. But I go for predictable temperament, and I often think my attempts to choose amount to playing God.

What breed can have a litter of 10 with uniform temperament? :eek: I am used to BCs and we usually get the whole spectrum of temperaments from laid back to hyper and everything in between, within any litter larger than 3. Not just my litters but every litter I have ever assessed for anyone else as well. This is why I am totally against BC puppies being allocated before at least 6 weeks.

I breed italian greyhounds and at least 90% of ppl who enquire about puppies want a blue pup. So colour is a big deal in this breed. I match temperament plus colour pref to an owner as much as possible, but temperament is more important to me. If the temp doesnt suit a home they dont get the pup no matter how much they want that colour.

I will not let my puppy buyers choose from the whole litter....I usually choose a couple of puppies from the litter with similar temperaments,that I feel would suit that particular family & let them choose from them puppies.

With my last litter,I had an interstate puppy buyer...In this case the buyer was happy for me to pick the puppy for them. :)

Edited by Baileys mum