Crates

wantsapuppy

If it's just for separation purposes just have child's gate separating them in another room. Boonie slept in this room with the gate up at night so got used to it being his alone area - we found this worked a treat and we could put him in 'his' room if we had visitors over.

Much better option than shutting the doors on them as they don't get the 'shut in' feeling and can still see what's going on.

I think it also helped that he got used to 'barriers' and then never really tested something if he saw it as a visual barrier - hence no mischeif.

the house we are in the gaps between the rooms are door size as its all open so unfortunatly i dont think that the child gate idea would work. :(

sorry I'm reading that wrong - they are door size? that's perfect for a childs gate isn't it?

sorry that should be ARENT door size. its all open the rooms.

Crates, baby gates, pens are all useful. I use them all! Baby gates are handy for separation but less useful for toilet training (though you could use them across a laundry door I guess to confine in there etc). Crates are probably more multi purpose as you can move them aroud more places including in the car or somewhere else if you are travelling. Wire collapsible. Is better than soft as more airflow and puppies are less likely to break out so reached good habits ( you can always get a soft crate later once the pup is used to being in a crate). They are heavier than a pen but take up less space. Pens are great as give more room and are lighter to carry. But even though they are flatter they take more space across their length and width to transport and take up double or more the space in your home so not as good for a longer term option inside. You also can't use them to secure a dog in the car and as they have no bottom some dogs can tip them over (I secure with pegs on grass for some dogs so they learn that they can't move it. As said each have their positives and negatives ans I use all three for different things. Personally I would recommend a wire collapsible crate as the most versatile for someone starting out with a pet pup who wants to only invest in one thing.

Toilet training is all hands on i reckon, crates or no crates. you pick up your pup take him outside every hour or two and praise the bejeezus out of him when he wees or poos. catch him in the act in the house - big booming NO - carry him out mid wee into the yard and make them finish outside.

be prepared to do self enforced night trips - I was on the 1:00am and 3:00am trips. My wife reckons it's only fair considering she'll do the feeds when we have kids.

I didn't get a crate until James was considerably older. And he eventually severely damaged that - don't get a soft crate while they're young :laugh:

I did, however, use (and still do - he sleeps in there at night sometimes) two Bunnings wire compost bins to make up a pen for him. For me, it wasn't so much about the toilet training benefits, more the ability to confine him when necessary and to use as his "room". There have been several horror stories recounted on here about puppies climbing over and breaking limbs, but James' mind (at 21 months of age) would be blown if you even suggested the idea of climbing to him :laugh: He is most certainly not that way inclined, although I'm not sure how generalisable that is across the breed.

To best decide what to use, I think it's important to think about your specific needs: where will the puppy be sleeping (and do you want him contained)?; which product is most conducive to your house's layout?; do you plan on travelling with him?; etc., etc.

Not essential to crate train - but I tell you the best think I have ever done!!!

I don't have kids, but I can imagine it would be so useful. My youngest dogs are crate trained and my pup I crate trained properly following Susan Garrett’s method. She has a DVD called crate games which I HIGHLY recommend!!

To give an example of how useful it is at training I stay back after the class and help out. While I am doing this I leave my pup in the crate. She is so relaxed in her crate that she does not fuss, no crying - nothing. I makes taking your dog places a pleasant experience.

Also very handy when popping out for a few hours - you know you are not going to come home to puppy destuction!!!

It is also very handy if you have any plans to travel with your dog.

I would without question crate train my next dog. :thumbsup:

As previously mentioned don't get the fabric crate for your puppy - as we know they love to chew and may wreck it. :laugh: I have a wire crate that is collapsible and when my dogs get other when we go out I use the fabric crates (alot easier to cart around).

They are definitely useful but not essential.

Depends on the dog really. Our Aussie shepherd was never really crate trained and was always well behaved in the house. She even flew to the UK with us, no problems adjusting to the crate for the long flight.

I would be inclined to get one for a lab. Depending on how boisterous the puppy is, it is a good way to calm them down and give yoruself a bit of a break, not to mention useful for confinement for injury/illness and for competitions etc.

If I get another pup I am going to get a smaller wire or hard plastic crate so it can't chew thru. I'll get a smaller crate so it is easily transportable eg. car and moving it around the house, the large wire ones are a pain to carry around and move.

When it grows up and is crate trained (shouldn't take more than a few months) then I'll get a full size soft crate as they are also easy to move around with and more visually appealing (imo)

I have a large soft crate for my lab. She was trained in a wire crate. She settles well in her crate and seems to quite like it

Edited by aussielover

Love my crate trained whippets, found it so easy when I had the two pups and then we aquired Snips at 2 years, who came crate trained and loves her crate. If the world gets too scary thats where you find her, in her own personal portable den.

If it's just for separation purposes just have child's gate separating them in another room. Boonie slept in this room with the gate up at night so got used to it being his alone area - we found this worked a treat and we could put him in 'his' room if we had visitors over.

Much better option than shutting the doors on them as they don't get the 'shut in' feeling and can still see what's going on.

I think it also helped that he got used to 'barriers' and then never really tested something if he saw it as a visual barrier - hence no mischeif.

the house we are in the gaps between the rooms are door size as its all open so unfortunatly i dont think that the child gate idea would work. :(

You can buy child barrier gates with separate extension lengths to fit in doorways of different widths. I have one and it works well.

ETA I bought mine off Ebay. :)

Edited by Ellie

At some time in it's life every dog is going to find itself contained in a small pen/crate/cage/enclosure.

Can you imagine how terrifying this could be to a dog who has never been crated in it's life?

Each time your pet is hospitalised at the vets it will be in a crate out the back, it will not have the run of the place.

Please, please, please .... crate train your pup as a youngster, if only to learn that crates are NOT scary places.

For transporting, crates are the best and safest option.

If your dog ever has to be flown anywhere, he/she will be locked into a crate at big noisy scary airports, and you wont be allowed to sit there with your dog to calm them. You cannot go past the security barrier.

Can you imagine how terrifying this could be for a dog that has never been crated before. It is an act of cruelty.

I have seen dogs throwing themselves against the sides of metal crates ... all of this stress could have been avoided simply by getting the dog used to a crate earlier on.

If a dog is acting up in the crate at the airport, the airline crew have the right to say that the dog is NOT flying in their plane, and you can end up with a dog stuck at an airport with nobody wanting to take it.

You could be thousands of kms away from your dog and the situation will be totally out of your control.

Sorry, every pup should be crate trained at some point.

Crate trained dogs are dogs that can be taken almost anywhere in safety.

Crates should be a fun place where dogs can have their toys and blankies and bones at home, an everyday place with the door open. Close the door when you need to but just let a crate be part of the dog's life.

Crates should be part of every pup's life.

Souff

I used to think crates were evil and cruel... until I had cause to use one... now I'm a total convert and have several in different sizes.

My 5.5 year old Lab girl had never used a crate until she was nearly 5 - and now it's hard to get her out of hers... *grin*

I use crates for my rescue foster puppies, and they get used to the idea really quickly.

I have one dog who actually destroyed her crate - a steel one at that! But one failure out of literally several dozen pups fostered, plus training my older dogs to use them - not a bad strike rate over all... lol!

My vote is with the Vebo crates too - the metal collapsible ones...

T.

No. There used to be life with dogs before crates were popular or readily available.

For show/breeding dogs they have their uses but for pet dogs I wouldn't bother. Mine are around the place & often have a layer of dust on the bottom with long periods of no use but I do keep a metal one in the boot of my station wagon. When I take a dog out with me & want to pop in a shop I feel it is a bit more secure & not so easy to get to like a carry cage on the back seat. The dog gets a look around as we travel too.

Crates are not essential BUT they make life a lot easier. For reasons others have outlined.

Great for travel - they have a safe, familiar place to relax, will be welcome in more places if you take them on holidays

Great for training/competition - again somewhere safe and familiar for them to relax when it is not their turn, or when you have to help set up equipment, walk courses, instruct classes

In case they ever need to be confined due to illness, injury, at the vet or groomers they are used to it and will relax instead of get stressed

Somewhere they can be safely confined when tradespeople come, guests who don't like or are scared of dogs, or for your dog to have a haven from children or storms or fireworks

I think mine are essential :laugh: I honestly dont know where my dogs would sleep at night if I didnt have them in crates? Ours have their own crate each in their own bedroom next to each other.

I wouldnt want them outside incase they barked and I wouldnt lock them up in the run together all night either because the young one would want to play all night and she is a playbarker! I could never leave the young one free range in the house either because I'm sure I would wake up one day and she'd have eaten the lounge or something ridiculous like that.

It also came very much in handy when my older Aussie bitch did her shoulder last year and was on crate rest for a fortnight. She was happy to go in her crate all day and watch tv.

I think mine are essential :laugh: I honestly dont know where my dogs would sleep at night if I didnt have them in crates?

I guess they would have to sleep on or in your bed. :laugh:

That is where millions of dogs all over the world sleep & always have done.

Whilst not essential for the average pet owner, I believe crate training is invaluable if for any reason the dog has to be hospitalised, travelled by air, confined after surgery or illness etc. A dog that has never been crated can find these events more traumatic than they need be. All my dogs are crate trained and they are happy and relaxed when crated they do not see their crates as punishment.

There is no way I'm sleeping with 3 (and eventually 4 or 5) Aussie Shepherds in our bed :laugh: Theres hardly enough room with OH than with the dogs, and I dont think its good for pack order anyway, just like how they arent allowed on the furniture without an invite.

spider only got his crate when we were moving over to victoria from WA a few months back(we got it early to get him used to it) and no it has proved very useful with making him feel secure with his eating since we got luna as he is food possesive(due to living with a PITA dog that used to steal his food constantly and was aggressive with her own)

Prior to rescuing I wasn't keen on the idea of crates.

Now they are my best friend. :laugh:

I vote for the vebo fold downs too, though I have several here of different sizes/makes.

I have a new husky puppy and although she sleeps on the bed at night with us, she IS crate trained. I started the day after she arrived. (she's 10wks now) Crate training makes life so much easier. When I have to pop out for a minute, she goes in her crate. It's not only a safe little den for her, but also peace of mind for me, knowing she isn't getting into anything she shouldn't be whilst I am out. :)