Snake Netting

Bullbreedlover

Wow, such a shame that there are so many people only interested in KILLING and ERADICATING protected native animals that may pose a threat to pets. Rather than taking the more sensible advise of other members who suggested humane ways to prevent dog/snake contact.

It will always surprise me how some claim to be animals lovers, yet they will pick and choose which animals they love and which ones they don't mind causing uneccessary suffering to.

When I kept chickens I built a proper roofed run for them to protect against the hawks that use to take the young chicks. I did not shoot and kill the hawks.

There is always a humane way. Shame that people on an animal forum choose the inhumane way.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, such a shame that there are so many people only interested in KILLING and ERADICATING protected native animals that may pose a threat to pets. Rather than taking the more sensible advise of other members who suggested humane ways to prevent dog/snake contact.

It will always surprise me how some claim to be animals lovers, yet they will pick and choose which animals they love and which ones they don't mind causing uneccessary suffering to.

When I kept chickens I built a proper roofed run for them to protect against the hawks that use to take the young chicks. I did not shoot and kill the hawks.

There is always a humane way. Shame that people on an animal forum choose the inhumane way.

No offense IL, but a venomous snake is VERY different to the python you have with your dog! I would prefer all snakes in unwanted places be relocated, but people who are doing everything they can to keep them away, but at wits end with them still getting in may value their own lives and that of their family and fur babies more than said snake!

Before you jump on me, I'm a herper, so I understand your love of these animals!

Once you have had 20+ in very close proximity to your house, children and pets, then let me know how you feel.

I don't have a problem with snakes, I think they are magnificent animals, but I do get tired of being on a knifes edge all the time. I would like my kids to be able to go outside and not have to be stressed the whole time and watching everything and looking out for anything that may be a snake. I would like to be able to step out the garage door - where I was not 2 minutes before and not have to yell at my dogs to get them away from a rather large venomous snake that wasn't there 2 minutes before.

I get super jumpy and to be honest it really isn't a nice feeling to be on edge for months at a time. I will not risk my children or pets lives. If that makes me a bad person to you then so be it.

I have seen MANY animals with snake bite, I have breathed down a tube for a dog on and off for over 2 hours to keep it alive for someone who dearly loved that little dog, I have stayed up all night to monitor dogs with snake bite that have then crashed and couldn't be resusitated, I have watched them fight hard to stay and die, I have seen them struggle for breathe that isn't coming.

I know what a dog goes through when it gets bitten by a snake and even though you may not agree I do not want that for my dogs. I do not go out and randomly kill snakes for the sake of it, quite the contrary actually but I will kill a snake that is trying to enter my dogs small area or is trying to get into my house or garage. I have gone over what is allowed and what isn't my friend works for DEC, and I am allowed and entitled to do so.

I'm trying to decide whether to return to Australia from California.

Of all the threads I've hit, this one makes me glad not to be in Oz.

All we've got here is rattlesnakes, and after 18 mo on my property I have yet to see one. They are venonmous (sp?) but nothing compared to Australian snakes. The lunatic Christian sects play with them and get bitten often, then thank God that they survive. Good thing they don't have tiger snakes and browns. And rattlers are so considerate that they provide a loud warning before they strike. Good handle for training.

No offense IL, but a venomous snake is VERY different to the python you have with your dog! I would prefer all snakes in unwanted places be relocated, but people who are doing everything they can to keep them away, but at wits end with them still getting in may value their own lives and that of their family and fur babies more than said snake!

Before you jump on me, I'm a herper, so I understand your love of these animals!

Hahahahha....... that picture was added for a bit of fun. I am very aware that a python and a venomous snake are different. I can also understand people being at their wits end with snakes roaming their properties or being in close proximity to homes and dogs....... what i DONT UNDERSTAND is when there has been given very practical humane methods of keeping snakes at bay, these methods are ignored for very inhumane methods. That is my annoyance. I understand not everyone likes snakes, but for aniamal lovers to intentionally cause an animal great suffering does not sit well with me.

For the record. I do have 11 pet venomous snakes - Death Adders, and no, Danté and the death adders don't have photo shoots together lol

Once you have had 20+ in very close proximity to your house, children and pets, then let me know how you feel.

If you knew me, you would know that this would be bliss for me. I go on long drives and weekend trips to go and catch snakes........ to have them in my backyard would be AMAZING!

I don't have a problem with snakes, I think they are magnificent animals, but I do get tired of being on a knifes edge all the time. I would like my kids to be able to go outside and not have to be stressed the whole time and watching everything and looking out for anything that may be a snake. I would like to be able to step out the garage door - where I was not 2 minutes before and not have to yell at my dogs to get them away from a rather large venomous snake that wasn't there 2 minutes before.

I understand what you are saying here. No one who loves snakes on this forum said anything about letting them come in your home or kennels. Advice was given that the majority ignored.

I get super jumpy and to be honest it really isn't a nice feeling to be on edge for months at a time. I will not risk my children or pets lives. If that makes me a bad person to you then so be it. Are you aware there have been 2 snake bite deaths in the last month or so?? Are you aware of how these bites happened?? Yep, you guessed it. They were trying to be the hero and KILL the snake. The majority of snake bites in Australia are from idiots who try to catch and kill them. Wouldn't it be a better idea to put up shadecloth barriers as mentioned before? Let the snakes slither on by away from your home and beloved pets and kids? The snake gets to see another day without coming into contact with your family.... and you get to live with no risk of being bitten?

I have seen MANY animals with snake bite, I have breathed down a tube for a dog on and off for over 2 hours to keep it alive for someone who dearly loved that little dog, I have stayed up all night to monitor dogs with snake bite that have then crashed and couldn't be resusitated, I have watched them fight hard to stay and die, I have seen them struggle for breathe that isn't coming.

I know what a dog goes through when it gets bitten by a snake and even though you may not agree I do not want that for my dogs. I do not go out and randomly kill snakes for the sake of it, quite the contrary actually but I will kill a snake that is trying to enter my dogs small area or is trying to get into my house or garage. I have gone over what is allowed and what isn't my friend works for DEC, and I am allowed and entitled to do so.

I'm trying to decide whether to return to Australia from California.

Of all the threads I've hit, this one makes me glad not to be in Oz.

All we've got here is rattlesnakes, and after 18 mo on my property I have yet to see one. They are venonmous (sp?) but nothing compared to Australian snakes. The lunatic Christian sects play with them and get bitten often, then thank God that they survive. Good thing they don't have tiger snakes and browns. And rattlers are so considerate that they provide a loud warning before they strike. Good handle for training.

Australia does have many species of snake...... but the majority of people will go through life having never seen one in the wild. They are not crawling around everywhere..... i think you'll be safe lol

Here is another of my pretty snakes...... Who couldn't love them? lol

DSC_3795.jpg

They are sure moving!! I had one go into shed.. i have to go n uppack the dog trailer to see if its gone in there.. also had one in the back yard,, it seen me n moved pretty quick.. was near my daughters swing set.. Lucky The dogs were inside with me at the time n i took em out to toilet and seen it.. other wise they would be roaming back yard.. Hate the bloody things!!!!

IggyL, to have venomous snakes in your backyard would be AMAZING huh? Even when you're not home and your dogs are out there even when you've put up shade cloth, kept lawns low, no piles of rubbish for them to hide in?

Snake bite deaths to humans is not what is being discussed so much here, it is deaths of animals, people's pets.

I see you live in Vic? Melbourne or the far north? Do you have a licence to catch wild snakes? I feel that disturbing animals in their natural environment is the height of abuse and cruelty to satisfy your own curiosity!

Having grown up in Western Queensland where we'd see a venomous snake almost on a daily basis at close range near or in the house... I can tell you right now that living in suburbia voids you of seeing them this frequently.

Having snakes as 'pets' is one thing, you know they are in their vivariums at all times. You don't (or shouldn't) come home to empty exhibits and having to hunt for them in the house!

Speaking of animal lover and ones love for animals and being selective.... You eat meat? Killing livestock for your daily eating pleasure? Killing rats, mice, rabbits for your snakes?

Glass houses!

I used to live on 200 acres near Richmond NSW. Lots of snakes. We had both eastern browns and red bellies.

Nothing beat having the dogs somewhat exposed to the snakes. The male ACD would come out feeding the horses with me, several times a week we would cross the path of a red belly. He looked at snake, snake looked at him and both kept going on their merry way. He had a very good 'leave it' command. We also did the shade cloth around the back yard, doubled up and dug into the ground.

My old BF's SBT on the other hand... He had always encouraged her to chase things. Sure enough, she came across a snake and went straight in for the kill. Poor snake! If that was something cute and fluffy then people would be up in arms. $1700 and 2 weeks later we get the dog back...

The only time we would dispose of snakes (and it was always browns) was if they came into the stable block. Trapped horses in a stable with a brown slithering through was not a good combination. I didn't have an hour up my sleeve to wait for a snake catcher. Still, it was a rare occasion to have one in the stable. 2 very good cats, and we hardly ever saw a mouse, or droppings.

I feel for people who feel inundated with snakes. I think keeping a few goats/ sheep in the backyard area could be good. Keep the grass short, and provide 'traffic' that surely the snakes wish to avoid.

Edited by Inevitablue

I understand what you are saying here. No one who loves snakes on this forum said anything about letting them come in your home or kennels. Advice was given that the majority ignored

I have not ignored any of the advice given. I have done what most people consider a lot towards making my area not snake friendly and snake resistant. The only other thing I could consider is too move!

I am assuming you haven't seen Iditadog's fencing????? They are still getting snakes and have had a dog bitten very recently.

Are you aware there have been 2 snake bite deaths in the last month or so?? Are you aware of how these bites happened?? Yep, you guessed it. They were trying to be the hero and KILL the snake. The majority of snake bites in Australia are from idiots who try to catch and kill them. Wouldn't it be a better idea to put up shadecloth barriers as mentioned before? Let the snakes slither on by away from your home and beloved pets and kids? The snake gets to see another day without coming into contact with your family.... and you get to live with no risk of being bitten?

Snake bites on humans do not have to end in death to be traumatic. A young boy (same age as one of my sons) who lives just down the road was bitten a few weeks ago playing in his backyard and hadn't seen a small snake. It was very traumatising for him and his parents when he was rushed to hospital and having to be hospitalised etc. He was fine now, but they didn't know he would be at the time.

I have shadecloth around my dog yard and snakemesh, but it is a little difficult and expensive to shadecloth around my housyard which is on a farm and doesn't have fencing like you do in town it has livestock fencing. Yes I am saving to fence a smaller backyard, but at this point in time am trying to finish building my house.

I have very nearly trod on many snakes as I have been going about my business on the farm, one right outside my house door and it was that close as it put its tongue out to see what was going on it "licked" my ankle. Another I nearly trod in the middle of as I opened my door to step out with a basket of washing. Luckily my 2yo son was behind me instead of going out first. This happens often. I open the door, scan THEN step out.

I am quite sure if you lived with the number I do all the time the novelty would wear off pretty quickly.

IggyL, to have venomous snakes in your backyard would be AMAZING huh? Even when you're not home and your dogs are out there even when you've put up shade cloth, kept lawns low, no piles of rubbish for them to hide in?

Yes, i would love it. My dogs are indoors while i am not home so there would be no danger there. If i did have an outdoor area and i lived in an area prone to snakes then i would secure a portion fo the yard for the dogs to play outside safely when unsupervised. Coulourbond fencing or shadecloth fencing, a physical barrier to prevent snakes getting in.

You sewem to be missing my point... the only thing i am against herer is using snake NETTING which is inhumane.

Snake bite deaths to humans is not what is being discussed so much here, it is deaths of animals, people's pets.

That is correct. But in some of the more HEROIC posts people have mentioned killing the snakes. This is where the heroes are putting their lives in danger. Most bites in Aus occur when the little heroes get all too confident. Look at oSoSwifts comment below.... they have almost stepped on snakes in the past..... were they bitten? No. The majority of cases where snakes are disturbed they will retreat or ignore you.

I see you live in Vic? Melbourne or the far north? Do you have a licence to catch wild snakes? I feel that disturbing animals in their natural environment is the height of abuse and cruelty to satisfy your own curiosity!

But using snake netting to capture the snake and kill it is not cruel? hahahaha. Oh thats a very silly argument to use don't you think? I merely go looking for snakes and reptiles to photograph and you accuse me of cruelty? hahahah. I have a license to keep my captive snakes. I have kept many animals in the past, both domesticated and native. Including reptiles, marsupials etc.

Having snakes as 'pets' is one thing, you know they are in their vivariums at all times. You don't (or shouldn't) come home to empty exhibits and having to hunt for them in the house!

That's correct, i am a responsible pet owner.

Speaking of animal lover and ones love for animals and being selective.... You eat meat? Killing livestock for your daily eating pleasure? Killing rats, mice, rabbits for your snakes?

Glass houses!

I never claimed to be a vegetarian. I love meat! I never claimed to have not killed animals for food either. But i can assure you i have NEVER and will NEVER condone the unethical or inhumane killing of animals.

So because i eat meat, does this entitle me to set dog traps or poison baits around suburbia to capture and kill dogs that i find a nuisance? Because there are plenty of dogs that stop me sleeping at night or who are aggressive to other dogs. Glass houses?

I used to live on 200 acres near Richmond NSW. Lots of snakes. We had both eastern browns and red bellies.

Nothing beat having the dogs somewhat exposed to the snakes. The male ACD would come out feeding the horses with me, several times a week we would cross the path of a red belly. He looked at snake, snake looked at him and both kept going on their merry way. He had a very good 'leave it' command. We also did the shade cloth around the back yard, doubled up and dug into the ground.

My old BF's SBT on the other hand... He had always encouraged her to chase things. Sure enough, she came across a snake and went straight in for the kill. Poor snake! If that was something cute and fluffy then people would be up in arms. $1700 and 2 weeks later we get the dog back...

The only time we would dispose of snakes (and it was always browns) was if they came into the stable block. Trapped horses in a stable with a brown slithering through was not a good combination. I didn't have an hour up my sleeve to wait for a snake catcher. Still, it was a rare occasion to have one in the stable. 2 very good cats, and we hardly ever saw a mouse, or droppings.

I feel for people who feel inundated with snakes. I think keeping a few goats/ sheep in the backyard area could be good. Keep the grass short, and provide 'traffic' that surely the snakes wish to avoid.

Thanks for your open minded and mature approach and offering constructive alternatives to snake netting. :)

I understand what you are saying here. No one who loves snakes on this forum said anything about letting them come in your home or kennels. Advice was given that the majority ignored

I have not ignored any of the advice given. I have done what most people consider a lot towards making my area not snake friendly and snake resistant. The only other thing I could consider is too move!

I have not personally attacked anyone here. Least of all yourself :) I commend you for the action you have taken. I just do not like snake netting. i thought i made this clear?

I am assuming you haven't seen Iditadog's fencing????? They are still getting snakes and have had a dog bitten very recently.

No matter how you manage it, you will never eliminate all risk. That speaks for most things.

Are you aware there have been 2 snake bite deaths in the last month or so?? Are you aware of how these bites happened?? Yep, you guessed it. They were trying to be the hero and KILL the snake. The majority of snake bites in Australia are from idiots who try to catch and kill them. Wouldn't it be a better idea to put up shadecloth barriers as mentioned before? Let the snakes slither on by away from your home and beloved pets and kids? The snake gets to see another day without coming into contact with your family.... and you get to live with no risk of being bitten?

Snake bites on humans do not have to end in death to be traumaticI am fully aware of this. That is common sense surely?. A young boy (same age as one of my sons) who lives just down the road was bitten a few weeks ago playing in his backyard and hadn't seen a small snake. It was very traumatising for him and his parents when he was rushed to hospital and having to be hospitalised etc. He was fine now, but they didn't know he would be at the time.

I have shadecloth around my dog yard and snakemesh, but it is a little difficult and expensive to shadecloth around my housyard which is on a farm and doesn't have fencing like you do in town it has livestock fencingI may currently live in the city but i did grow up in a rural area. My parents still do and i am fully aware of what livestock fencing is like :). Yes I am saving to fence a smaller backyard, but at this point in time am trying to finish building my house.I can understand and empathise. All i am saying is i do not like snake mesh.

I have very nearly trod on many snakes as I have been going about my business on the farm, one right outside my house door and it was that close as it put its tongue out to see what was going on it "licked" my ankle. Another I nearly trod in the middle of as I opened my door to step out with a basket of washingThis proves that when leaving a snake alone, they will generally ignore you and go about their lives. I understand this is different with dogs as they are more inquisitive and do not know of the dnagers with snakes. I just do not believe that the answer to the problem is snake netting... Luckily my 2yo son was behind me instead of going out first. This happens often. I open the door, scan THEN step out.

I am quite sure if you lived with the number I do all the time the novelty would wear off pretty quickly.

I have over 30 snakes in my house lol......

If I had to make a choice between my dogs safety or the life of a snake, I'm afraid it's off with the snakes head.

If i had to make a split second decision between my dogs life and a wild snake, i would also choose my dog. But many life and death situations that occur are avoidable. Hence the reason for this thread in the original post. The ''do gooders'' are just trying to make the point that NO ANIMAL has to loose its life.

IggyLover can u change the colour of your writing.. I find red writing rude!

I agree RL1 good snakes a dead one!

I could take offence to your exclamation mark after your statement. But i wont :) Is this colour more to your liking? I find this colour very calming :)

IggyLover can u change the colour of your writing.. I find red writing rude!

I agree RL1 good snakes a dead one!

Lucky for me ( and the snakes ) i don't have any snake problems in the area i live, but should that ever change i won't lose any sleep over a headless snake.

We had another brown come through the house area of the yard last week. Hubby had just hosed the Bullmastiffs down before putting them away in their inside runs and we presume it had come out of the next door neighbours yard behind our garage. The snake was very fortunate as hubby didnt get to the required relocation tools ;) in time before it buggered off out to the other side of our section.

We had another brown come through the house area of the yard last week. Hubby had just hosed the Bullmastiffs down before putting them away in their inside runs and we presume it had come out of the next door neighbours yard behind our garage. The snake was very fortunate as hubby didnt get to the required relocation tools ;) in time before it buggered off out to the other side of our section.

Must be a worry living with those bloody things. If i was in your position i would have several sets of relocation tools handy.