Snake Netting

Bullbreedlover

A dead snake can't bite your dog.

No, but a dead snake leaves the 'territory' open for younger equally venoumous snakes to come in a try to claim the area. Who wants that?

Clear enough of them out and there won't be that problem. I don't have any snake tolerating neighbours either.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But a trapped/injured one thrashing around in bird netting certainly can. I'd call that a pretty big point to consider if I was as concerned about my dog/s safety around snakes as some posters here are saying they are.

No, but a dead snake leaves the 'territory' open for younger equally venoumous snakes to come in a try to claim the area. Who wants that?

Clear enough of them out and there won't be that problem. I don't have any snake tolerating neighbours either.

Regarding snake territory - we have lived in the same location for 25 years - we never saw ANY snakes until about 3 years ago even though our suburb has become twice as built up in that time. In that last 3 years we have seen a number of brown snakes and at least 10 black snakes. To me, its a bit like the crocodiles in Queensland, when is enough protection enough? Crocodiles are literally invading the north of Qld due to the protection they have enjoyed for so long. I believe due to the fact that snakes have been protected for so long that they are now moving into suburbia and becoming a nuisance.

The other day a friend of mine saw brown snakes in a very inner Sydney suburb.

I don't think there's any sense continuing this discussion. It's clear that certain people have invested a lot of energy into convincing themselves that killing snakes is justified and any suggestion to the contrary feels like a personal attack to them. Meanwhile, apparently an appropriate way to disagree with people is to try to kick them in the stomach. I will make it clear right now that I am still mourning my dead hare (who lived to the ripe old age of 7 years and had been slowly and gently declining through the winter) and find some of the comments that have been made about him to be hurtful and mean spirited in the extreme. I am happy to go into excruciating detail about how I knew he was not leading a stressed and tortuous existence when I can think about him without the desolation of missing him. It's interesting stuff and includes a lot of behavioural indicators from the literature. If anyone actually cared, they could gently remind me in a month or so, but something tells me this was more about attacking me than a concern about animal welfare. I'm not going to visit this thread again because I am still raw about Kit and it just hurts too much to hear this crap. I have never been so hurt on a forum before, and I have been around on the net for a while being controversial. So congratulations, you've driven me out. Does that make you right about snakes, now? I hope it was worth it.

I believe due to the fact that snakes have been protected for so long that they are now moving into suburbia and becoming a nuisance.

Can you think of any other possible explanations for your observations?

No, only that five years ago snakes were not an issue in our area and now they are. Nothing has changed except that more people have built houses in the area.

except that more people have built houses in the area.

BOINNNGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

So... snakes are pushed out of any sort of 'natural' habitat, and need to move elsewhere to find food/water/shelter.

Where can they move?

Backyards.That's all that's left.

Maybe snakes are just like cats and just HAVE to go were they aren't supposed to go???

I let my inside cats out into my ONE ACRE garden the other day. Immediately one of them ran to the fence and through the gate! It would have taken them ages to explore the fenced in bit!

except that more people have built houses in the area.

BOINNNGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

So... snakes are pushed out of any sort of 'natural' habitat, and need to move elsewhere to find food/water/shelter.

Where can they move?

Backyards.That's all that's left.

X 2 Plus along with more people, more suburbia, more garbage, more rats & mice therefor more snakes. Maybe things are becoming a little unbalanced in this modern trend to keep increasing our population, so we can have more growth, & more of the above which equals more snakes, like it or not, unless we discover some way to eliminate snakes then we will be taken over by rodents.

Maybe snakes are just like cats and just HAVE to go were they aren't supposed to go???

I let my inside cats out into my ONE ACRE garden the other day. Immediately one of them ran to the fence and through the gate! It would have taken them ages to explore the fenced in bit!

I don't think there is a "suppose" to in a snakes agenda.

Just freespirits who go wherever the heck they want to. Hmmmmm......a bit like cats after all. :laugh:

I would have no hesitation killling a snake in my yard if I was brave enough to do it (I'm not). My local vet who is a snake lover did tell me though that if I got rid of said snake then another would move in who would not be used to the comings and goings of my property and thus possibly more dangerous. I didn't see any last summer but am always on the alert. I'm not going to wrap the dogs in cotton wool but I'm acutely aware that it's a risk each summer. I am sure I have one near the water tank as I hear a hiss and a bigggggg rustle whenever I go out there. My daughter has now been banned from riding her bike out there - I figure it's better off out there where my dogs don't access. I hate snakes - a good one is a dead one IMO but I think what my vet says has merit. Only metres over the road they get plenty of browns - I wonder what makes their place more appealing than mine - can't say I'm complaining!

Yes, you are quite right there.

Pour out enough concrete, ashphalt, gravel and destroy any type of habitat and that will end any snake problem. And any that have the ordasity to surive that will of course be exterminated.

I used to share the horse feed shed with a big brown snake. There were several pallets to keep the hay off the ground and the snake could escape under there - which it usually did.

It never bit a dog, even though the dogs were very interested in the pallets - they never got to the snake hole and the snake was always gone before the dogs could get to it.

It never threatened a human - though it did freak us out from time to time by sunning itself in front of the shed doors.

So it was well accustomed to our habits and kept clear of us, and we didn't have any stranger snakes hassling us either. It didn't exactly do the best job on keeping the mouse population down either.

There didn't seem to be any point in killing it. And the snake catcher said if he took it away - other snakes would move in - too much food for them not to.

Across south eastern Australia - for two seasons now - has been excellent for mice breeding and plenty of food for most critters to breed up and move into areas that otherwise would not have had enough food for them. I live in a very urban area but we get blue tongues, koalas, possums, foxes, mice, rats, geckos, kookaburras etc. Everything is right for the snakes to move in.

I would have no hesitation killling a snake in my yard if I was brave enough to do it (I'm not). My local vet who is a snake lover did tell me though that if I got rid of said snake then another would move in who would not be used to the comings and goings of my property and thus possibly more dangerous. I didn't see any last summer but am always on the alert. I'm not going to wrap the dogs in cotton wool but I'm acutely aware that it's a risk each summer. I am sure I have one near the water tank as I hear a hiss and a bigggggg rustle whenever I go out there. My daughter has now been banned from riding her bike out there - I figure it's better off out there where my dogs don't access. I hate snakes - a good one is a dead one IMO but I think what my vet says has merit. Only metres over the road they get plenty of browns - I wonder what makes their place more appealing than mine - can't say I'm complaining!

I killed two snakes Clyde last summer. It was not nice and snakes are hard to kill (unless you let them suffer)Just my opinion.

I wrap my dogs up in basic common sense at this time of year, not cotton wool.

Where do you live? Are you surrounded by National Park, on acres, and despite your best effort snakes are part of the landscape?

Sometimes we need to manage the animals and their needs at different times of year. Summer is a shocker for me and my dogs.

Yes, you are quite right there.

Pour out enough concrete, ashphalt, gravel and destroy any type of habitat and that will end any snake problem. And any that have the ordasity to surive that will of course be exterminated.

Sorry but no. Well not IME.

We had a snake entering the pound last summer. No grass (or short grass, gardens) just a concrete pound, and a carpark. He still moved in for some reason and was released.

I do not kennel dogs, so am very lucky as they are part of our home and family each day.

If I did kennel dogs I would be very worried and concerned as I would not be able to manange that as well I do in our home.

Nic, I am rural.

I mow twice a week and any wood piles are outside of my fenced area. We wear work boots outside and I make a lot of noise going in to feed sheds - mainly because I don't want to see a mouse :o *squeal* I have a water easement which runs through my yard and the duck pond so removing water sources outside isn't possible.

I am not sure what else I can do - I reckon I could call my house dogs off a snake (have done it before) but I am not always around to supervise the Maremmas.

Nic, I am rural.

I mow twice a week and any wood piles are outside of my fenced area. We wear work boots outside and I make a lot of noise going in to feed sheds - mainly because I don't want to see a mouse :o *squeal* I have a water easement which runs through my yard and the duck pond so removing water sources outside isn't possible.

I am not sure what else I can do - I reckon I could call my house dogs off a snake (have done it before) but I am not always around to supervise the Maremmas.

I dont like snakes, dont get me wrong. I worry each day though I have realised that supervison and good recall is the answer.

Our dogs are very much part of our home and our family thank god, so I am very lucky. Otherwise I would always be worried about them.

Different folks and different strokes I guess? 1000 acres, 5 acres, 20 acres? Depends on the circumstances I guess.

Mice give me the willies as well :eek: I work with horses and dogs all day long but when a mouse pops out I jump about and scream my head off. I dont know why... I think probably the horse or dog does not suprise me quite so much as a mouse? or even a snake :)

I am on 500 acres, the snakes are welcome to all of it bar where we and the dogs are.

We have the repellers..hmm, not sure about them as well as netting around the dog's 90mtr circumference dog yard and also the back yard. We have had numerous run ins with some snakes over the years and they were let get away or shot, whichever was the best alternative at the time due to ours or dog's placement in the different scenarios. I have played very very loud base on fully thumping music inside and stomped around the house hoping the one I saw go under the house would not like the vibrations.

I have watched out the window as a snake wends its way into the paddock next to the house.

If it is incoming only meters away then too bad.

As long as their end is swift then all is good if it has to come to that.

Beats driving an 70km to the vet for anti venom or observation which has also happened a few times.