Snake Netting

Bullbreedlover

I am surprised that people are talking about breaking the law on a public forum when there are more humane ways to deal with the issue.

Dogs can also be snake proofed using an e-collar. If I was in an area that had snakes I would snake proof my dogs and not leave them penned where they had no way of escape.

But I suppose each to their own managing the issue, hopefully using legal means.

so shock the dog to try to teach it to leave the snake alone, good luck finding enough snakes to put near your dog to teach it that lesson, and then leave your dogs free to roam so they can avoid the snakes. Good thinking there.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying you shouldn't protect your dogs, but when someone gives you a easy, humane option and you choose the cruel option, I think that is rough. If a snake was about to bite my dog, I might kill it. But I would have tried everything possible first to prevent them from coming near my dogs in a HUMANE way.

What exactly are you going to do with the snake when it's about to bite your dog, leave it to it???? Poor dog, sorry you have to suffer cause your owner won't protect you.

Rebanne, perhaps Kirty will leave the snake alive and shoo it off by the sounds of it. It can then come back when Kirty's not home and bite the dog.

Not to forget cats, I have a cattery attached to the house, I don't like my cats to roam the streets and bother the neighbours, not to mention the native birds etc, but it seems, to protect them from snakes they will need to be free roaming from now on. Not bloody likely! Luckily my house and yard is fairly safe from snakes but I wouldn't hesitate to kill one in my yard if I saw it.

In my quote, I said if my dog was in danger I might kill the snake, if I had something handy. Otherwise I would protect my dogs the best I can. But if I lived in a snake-prone area, my dogs WOULD be protected by the methods already listed.

But hey, I guess I am just one of those 'do-gooders' that doesn't like killing things just because they exist. I suppose you think we should hunt down sharks that kill swimmers too? And while we're at it, why don't we eradicate all the spiders too just in case they DARE to enter our homes. And why not kill all lions, tigers, bears, etc because they kill people too. What a fun world that will be. :)

A dead snake can't bite your dog.

:rolleyes: What part of 'effective' do you not understand? It is a pretty simple concept. A snake that can't physically reach your dog can't bite your dog, either. :banghead: Obviously we are all wasting our time because some people have decided there is ample justification to kill snakes and won't be convinced otherwise even though it is really very, very obvious to the rest of us. KILLING THEM IS NOT NECESSARY. They are not hunting your dogs down. They are not hellbent on getting past any barrier errected between them and your dogs. It is not very hard to keep them out of a small area if you keep your barrier well maintained. Killing them will not make your dogs safer than a good barrier will. Go aquaint yourself with population carrying capacity. Ignorance is not justification for killing animals.

:rolleyes: What part of 'effective' do you not understand? It is a pretty simple concept. A snake that can't physically reach your dog can't bite your dog, either. :banghead: Obviously we are all wasting our time because some people have decided there is ample justification to kill snakes and won't be convinced otherwise even though it is really very, very obvious to the rest of us. KILLING THEM IS NOT NECESSARY. They are not hunting your dogs down. They are not hellbent on getting past any barrier errected between them and your dogs. It is not very hard to keep them out of a small area if you keep your barrier well maintained. Killing them will not make your dogs safer than a good barrier will. Go aquaint yourself with population carrying capacity. Ignorance is not justification for killing animals.

Netting is a barrier

It is not very hard to keep them out of a small area if you keep your barrier well maintained

I have to slightly disagree there. I have a VERY well maintained and thought out barrier - or so I thought until I walked underneath a tiger snake that was over my head. I did not realise until I shut the door and there was something in it cause it to not shut properly. Just happened to be a Tiger Snakes head. Now that gave me the heebee jeebees for weeks, still does!

I have been told that you can snake proof all you like but the chances are a snake will still be able to get in somewhere, gates being weak points. I try my hardest and like to think my dogs area is as snakeproof as I can make it, but I am also aware that nothing is 100%

Shade cloth is very effective, especially if it is buried in the ground as is the snake and mouse mesh if all potential gaps are properly addressed.

Incidentally, trying to kill snakes is how people get bitten. It is safer for everyone to leave them be. I have difficulty imagining how I would be forced to kill a snake to protect my dogs if I have them safe behind a snake-proof barrier when I'm not with them and can call them away from a snake instantly and have them come quickly if I am with them. Even if somehow the snake is between them and me, I would opt to recall them rather than attack the snake. The last thing I would want to do is provoke them to get closer to the snake, which attacking the snake would inevitably do. They stay close to us and are vey responsive off leash. I consider that good snake protection.

Netting is a barrier

So is shadecloth.

Out of interest snake peoples, why would a snake be trying to actively be trying to get into a dog run with dogs in it, that is snakemeshed and then shade clothed???

They had to cover a large area of mowed ground with no cover, and take the birds harassing them. It was not a one off, it happened 4 times in a week, 4 different snakes.

There are no mice or birds, the only attractant I could think of was water. The Whippets just stand there and look at them, my Dobes used to go off and thunder around barking so they were more likely to move away I suppose.

I am trying to figure out what they would be attracted to and why they would cover a vast amount of open space to get there.

We have many water points away from the house(other side of the fence) that snakes can access that would have more cover than going across the mowed area. There is also a bucket of water not a huge distance from the dog runs that they can access. They seemed very determined to get in.

Edited by OSoSwift

Somewhere cool/sheltered? That's one problem caused by lots of clearing etc .. the only shelter/shade spots are then your house and outbuildings ;)

I am in teh process of getting 10 or so chooks to let loose in our yard ..we did have about 3 doz. guineafowl- and rarely saw a snake near the house.Since some pups /wedgetails ate most of the guineas .. there have been more snakes about. I am hoping some chooks scratching around will help deter the snakes from setting up camp in the shrubbery.

I am surprised that people are talking about breaking the law on a public forum when there are more humane ways to deal with the issue.

Dogs can also be snake proofed using an e-collar. If I was in an area that had snakes I would snake proof my dogs and not leave them penned where they had no way of escape.

But I suppose each to their own managing the issue, hopefully using legal means.

so shock the dog to try to teach it to leave the snake alone, good luck finding enough snakes to put near your dog to teach it that lesson, and then leave your dogs free to roam so they can avoid the snakes. Good thinking there.

Actually it is good thinking. There are trainers who have snakes for the purpose of proofing dogs. The snakes do not need to be venomous for the proofing to work and it does work.

I would definitely use an e-collar if it meant my dog would actively avoid snakes.

My preference is to have a living breathing dog avoids snakes that and snakes that are allowed to go about their business.

We moved to our property early last year and it was a greenie's paradise - low shrubs, fallen logs, creepers, rocks, etc. We started to clean it up and much to our horror found a Brown snake hibernating under one of the sleepers under our daughters bedroom window - less than 3 metres from our backdoor :eek: Rang the snake catcher the vets gave us the number for and he said he'd be at least 3 hours - sorry but that's too long to wait.

Our back yard now resembles a golf green - no shrubs, creepers, rocks, logs. We've put sump oil around the boundary and have a flock of 10 guniea fowl and thankfully we've not had any snakes since May last year.

The Guniea's roam free around our 2 acre property during the day and I feel that they are a big deterant - maybe the snakes have seen what they did to any mice they caught! During the big mouse plague earlier this year we were disposing of up to 20 dead mice a day from our Guniea's and cat - never had a mouse in the house whereas friends a few km away got over 180 in 2 months.

I don't believe our yard is snake proof but I do think it's not very inviting as compared with our neighbour who has no fencing, shadecloth, cats, guniea fowl. In saying that we do have shovels placed around the yard in case we are forced to protect our child, dogs, cats as waiting 3 hours for a snake catcher is as useless as tits on a bull.

It's a bit rich to be given advice on keeping rodent pops down, in order to keep snakes away, by people that catch and release mice and rats becuase they can't bare to dispose of them and to be lectured by someone one who kept a wild animal in suburbia, with it's predator living alongside it, what a stress and tortured existence that poor animal lead.