Snake Netting

Bullbreedlover

It's horrible I agree, but if you put netting down surely common sense makes you check it every day?

I always checked wherever I put it down twice a day, and I think it's just dumb luck that I never actually had anything become stuck.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The do-gooders will claim it's cruel to the snakes etc, because they get caught up, but it sure beats the hell out of one in your kennels and dead dogs.

Err... it is! So call me a do-gooder for caring about cruelty to animals? :confused: Shadecloth used in the same way will keep them out and the snakes won't get caught in it. Sure beats the hell out of an angry snake in pain dying in your netting. But hey, wouldn't want to be considered a do-gooder or something. :rolleyes:

*like* *like* *like*

The use of bird netting will turn a snake into a dangerous animal very quickly.

It is a cruel and inhumane death because the snake will cut

itself in to pieces over a few dys and the pain and suffering needs to be addressed.

birdnetting

Does this link work

When a snake is in birdnet it is in pain and will bite anything with venom,

Please do not use this evil stuff as it not only catches snakes but more often kills bluetongues and bearded dragon.

I've read that sump oil on the ground works quite well. Theory being the snakes don't like crossing it. What are your thoughts on this snake catcher?

I really dont think the good people who run this forum would condone the use of inhamane control of native animals..Not only illegal but also immoral'

Dont do it

you can try sump oil but it hasnt worked whe i have tested it on my local tigers and copperheads, if they are willing to cut them selves inhalf to get to water or a mouse the the sump oil idea would have to be like a moat..You would need a drawbridge to get over it..

Edited by snake catcher

Someone I know had many reptiles in large enclosures.. he tried the repellers, and the snakes curled up on top of them ;)

I have a huge collection of reptiles and have tried them at my home.....

While they didn't curl-up on top of them, they were absolutely completely not fussed by them! :laugh:

I

've read that sump oil on the ground works quite well. Theory being the snakes don't like crossing it. What are your thoughts on this snake catcher?

snakes here live in engine sheds/under/in the chassis of old cars . they don't seem to mind....

Phenyle has also been suggested as a barrier spray .

The use of bird netting will turn a snake into a dangerous animal very quickly.

It is a cruel and inhumane death because the snake will cut

itself in to pieces over a few dys and the pain and suffering needs to be addressed.

birdnetting

Does this link work

When a snake is in birdnet it is in pain and will bite anything with venom,

Please do not use this evil stuff as it not only catches snakes but more often kills bluetongues and bearded dragon.

We are talking about an area RIGHT AT MY GARAGE DOORS where my dogs spend their days under the fans.

Where the heck have I said that I wouldnt be checking the net? Our dogs are checked every hour during the day to make sure they are alright. If a snake tries to get to my dogs then they will be dealt with. If my dogs get bitten it is because I have somehow failed in keeping them safe, but if I find a snake in my back yard you can damn well know that I wont be calling a snake catcher.

Two snakes in one day next door to us. That is two too many as far as I am concerned.

Seems like you value a snakes life over a dogs. Doesnt go to well with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of time the nets are set and the animal is left in it or beheaded,

(dont get me started on beheading).

If the net is checked every day

and

IF they are humanely dealt with, IE: euthanised humanely, (not chopped with a friken shovel)

or a wildlife person is contacted to remove it THEN it isnt so much of an issue.

I dont value any life over another generally and im glad for you to murder the snake in your yard if thats your thing, but, please,

A snake is an amimal to,

cruel and inhumane death is NOT what they deserve.

Dont worry, as i am one of the few people legaly allowed to kill snakes it breaks my heart but

not as much as when i see a dead dog from an avoidable snakebite.

I love my dogs and i love all animals,,,,I must be one of those do-gooders

Edited by snake catcher

Seems like you value a snakes life over a dogs. Doesnt go to well with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, do get over yourself. I had no idea you and your dogs were so vitally important that any potential threat should be automatically taken out. Have you poisoned your entire area? What if a grass seed gets in your dog's skin?? Or they get a tick? Or they piss off a kangaroo? OMG, sounds like you value the life of grass over the life of your dogs! Oh noes, what a do-gooder you are!

It's just not necessary to kill them to be safe. If you can put netting down, you can build a bloody snake exclusion zone with shadecloth or flyscreen. Killing snakes only actually reduces the population if it is not at carrying capacity. If you have lots of snakes, my guess is it is at carrying capacity. Assuming the limiting resource is space or food, you remove one snake and another will take its place. Just because you don't see it for a while doesn't mean it's not there. Family friends lived above a swamp and every time they spotted a snake on their land they hunted it down and killed it. It was an ongoing battle. One went and another moved in. When they were able to be snake free for a few months, the rat population increased. Don't mess with stuff you don't understand. Just build a freaking snake barrier and get a good recall on your dogs for when you're on the wrong side of it.

I do not wish to get involved in this, though I will say I am paranoid about snakes/ dont like them as we have a lot around here sadly and have had many close calls with our dogs. More to come I have no doubt.

I would like to thank Snake Catcher for his help and support. You have a tough gig here on DOL and I think you have been very understanding in regard to our worries with dogs and snakes. Also very educational.

Wishing you the very best :)

I do not wish to get involved in this, though I will say I am paranoid about snakes/ dont like them as we have a lot around here sadly and have had many close calls with our dogs. More to come I have no doubt.

I would like to thank Snake Catcher for his help and support. You have a tough gig here on DOL and I think you have been very understanding in regard to our worries with dogs and snakes. Also very educational.

Wishing you the very best :)

Agree. It is handy to have an expert on the subject to answer our questions :)

Thanks Nic,

when you rang the other day I was driving to work and

our conversation and the sound of your voice

made the boring long drive to the city a

bit more bearable.

I hope you and your family have a happy and safe Summer.

As far as snakes go, most areas have a snake catcher

and they are easily found by ringing the nearest police

station of wildlfe carer.

Get the number of your local snake catcher and store in your phone,

on your fridge or anywhere, just keep it handy.

My 4 year old BC and hopefully, my 7 month old BC puppy, have a healthy respect for snakes. She will bark at it but stays clear. She has a special bark which warns me that it is a snake she has found. Lizards & goannas are different & they will chase them, much to my horror, but anything snakeish, they are very wary. We live on a farm & have an enormous garden with chooks which attract the snakes. Best we can do is keep the grass short in the paddocks where they like to run & hopefully if they come across a snake while running flat out, they will see it in time to avoid contact. I am going to get a couple of the solar snake repellers ...the genuine ones, not the ones you see on Ebay & give them a go. For those people thinking about putting bird netting all over the place, good luck, when you go to try & free your first very angry snake. :thumbsup: I have a neighbour who even kills harmless tree snakes, because they eat his frogs....go figure :rolleyes: I have a resident tree snake who delights in scaring the crap out of me around the garden. I might be wrong, but most snakes will not attack a dog unless they are cornered & the dog is attacking it. Most snakes if they can, will try to get away...browns are a bit different & death adders just lay curled up waiting for something to step on them... so maybe people should train their dogs better & teach them to "leave it" rather than going around upseting the balance. Less snakes, more rats, but then we could just put down lots of poisen & get rid of them.