Snake Netting

Bullbreedlover

One point I haven't seen raised - how clean is your yard and your neighbours yard? Do you have rodents and if so are you aggressively pursuing measures to get rid of them? Is the grass cut short, all rubbish taken away etc etc?

Our place does look a bit like a golf course, we have no shrubs or ground cover and around the house is a larger house paddock with grass mown down short. I won't say we're completely snake free, we have seen the odd brown. However, over the years we've been there most have preferred to stay out and I suspect it's because crossing 5 metres of open ground on the highish side of a hill doesn't appeal to them, especially as there is a lot more friendly habitat for them to choose (next door's huge dam, the river a couple of kilometres away, etc).

With snakes I think there is no one magic bullet (so to speak). More a series of lines of defences which involve a lot of observation and maintenance.

One thing I'd be interested about snake catcher is how high you think mouse mesh needs to go up a dog run - people have said to me not to bother because snakes can get over 1.6 metres. What do you think? Also, is there any size gap that is snake proof or do you need to completely seal gaps?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am one of those people that values the lives of my dogs over that of a snake. There I said it...

Do I want any of god's creatures to suffer a slow and painful death? Of course not, so I check our barriers every day.

We have snake repellers around the perimeter of our house yard and I firmly believe that they have saved the lives of our dogs. Do they stop the snake from getting in? No, not to 100% certainty. But those that do are so disoriented that they don't know where the hell they are and can then be taken back outside of the yard. We had a large brown in the yard last summer while 7 dogs were out there (with us, they are never outside unsupervised). There were 2 dogs nose-poking it, another 3 were doing fly-bys and the other 2 were fairly close by but oblivious to the excitement. Not one of those dogs was bitten and we were able to get them all safely onto the verandah before removing the snake from the yard to live another day. We have a number of friends that will tell similar stories. Any snakes that have made it in have been no danger to the dogs and were safely removed. If we were to have a snake in the yard I would rather have one that is in la-la land than one with all its senses and the reaction time to bite a curious dog. We don't just have the BCs, we also have a few small terriers and they wouldn't stand a chance. Living 20-30mins from the nearest vet- they just would not last that long.

So, the repellers are the first line of defence. Then around the actual dog runs we have bird mesh, mouse mesh, and bird netting. I would never consider using shade cloth around them as they would become a hotbox in summer without that airflow, particularly considering that it would be at dog level.

The runs are checked numerous times a day and to this day we have never actually found anything in them. Having all those dogs in the run would have to be a deterrent to the snakies, but given that inside the dog runs are the only sources of water for some distance, there is definitely a reason for the snakes to want to get in.

12 years on 4 acres and I haven't seen one snake. I am kind of like a little island though as on 3 sides I have strawberry farms so a heap of plowed up land and the road on the other side.

Between the border collies and my barn cat I don't have rodents either. And I have always had a kookaburra living here.

I do try and keep the block fairly tidy too.

There is some nice bushy land with water on the other side of the road and I guess that the snakies prefer to live over there!

A lot of time the nets are set and the animal is left in it or beheaded,

(dont get me started on beheading).

If the net is checked every day

and

IF they are humanely dealt with, IE: euthanised humanely, (not chopped with a friken shovel)

or a wildlife person is contacted to remove it THEN it isnt so much of an issue.

I dont value any life over another generally and im glad for you to murder the snake in your yard if thats your thing, but, please,

A snake is an amimal to,

cruel and inhumane death is NOT what they deserve.

Dont worry, as i am one of the few people legaly allowed to kill snakes it breaks my heart but

not as much as when i see a dead dog from an avoidable snakebite.

I love my dogs and i love all animals,,,,I must be one of those do-gooders

so where are your suggestions then to keep dogs and snakes safe? No good saying don't do this and don't do that without offering an alternative. As for ringing a snake catcher :rofl: good luck trying to find one and then getting them to respond quickly

Edited by Rebanne

Shade cloth barrier neednt be more than 1.6 high in Southern vic where the snakes are a bit shorter in length than further North and to the west,

What happens is,

when a snake comes up against a barrier in its travels,

it will follow it along and look for a gap or hole to go through,

If it cant find one, then they usually move on.

They rarely try to climb the shade cloth unless they can smell the mice on the other side.

The scent of the rodent is what they follow and any gap where a mouse can go, a snake can go.

Birdnet information

For the record,

the last place i went to to remove a snake

had 6 of the snake sentinal electronic snake repellers in place,

all turned on and beeping but not affecting the snakes in the slightest.

Now,

I am not totally convined that they work or not and

I think the structure of the soil(how heavy it is)

has a lot to do with the effectiveness.

so where are your suggestions then to keep dogs and snakes safe?

No good saying don't do this and don't do that without offering an alternative.

As for ringing a snake catcher good luck trying to find one and then getting them to respond quickly

Rebanne

Like I have said in other snake related threads already,

you need to retrain or restrain your dogs.

If you cant train your dog not to attack a snake then

I suggest (again) the use of the shadecloth to creats a barrier between the dogs and the

protected wildlife they may come acroos.

Clean up your yard and dont give the snake anywhere to hide.

Short grass and trees and shrubs pruned in such a way as you can see under them,

Water around the dogs can attract snakes in the drier parts of the year,

be aware,

Get ontop of the rodents as the snake will hunt them using their sense of smell.

Venomous snakes do not attack dogs and any vet will tell you that the dog is just not on the menu for a snake.

(apart from large pythons)

When a snake sees a dog, it reacts defensivly because as far as a snake is concerened, dogs and humans are huge predators juts wanting to eat them.

But the best advice i can give it training and vigilance.

Everytime you remove a large snake,

another one will move into its territory.

Dont fight nature,

rather,

build yourself and your dogs snake free areas..

i know ive forgotten something but no doubt i will be reminded of it soon.

Edited by snake catcher

that yard was a snakes paradise!!!!! I am not suprised a tiger snake was in there!!!

First thing I would be doing would be ripping out those shrubs and ground covers and getting a mower in!!

Edited by OSoSwift

Seems like you value a snakes life over a dogs. Doesnt go to well with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh come on, are you serious? Firstly, everyone has a right to their own opinion. Secondly, he has said that he doesn't value any life over another, but even if he did, what business is it of yours? And lastly, he wouldn't make a very good snake catcher if he didn't value a snake's life at all.

and

IF they are humanely dealt with, IE: euthanised humanely, (not chopped with a friken shovel)

or a wildlife person is contacted to remove it THEN it isnt so much of an issue.

I dont value any life over another generally and im glad for you to murder the snake in your yard if thats your thing, but, please,

A snake is an amimal to,

Dont worry, as i am one of the few people legaly allowed to kill snakes it breaks my heart but

:thumbsup:

so where are your suggestions then to keep dogs and snakes safe? No good saying don't do this and don't do that without offering an alternative. As for ringing a snake catcher :rofl: good luck trying to find one and then getting them to respond quickly

Actually, Snake catcher has made a lot of recommendations on what to do, in this and other threads. Personally, I had no trouble finding them and I very much value his experience. He even said that he didn't have an issue with people disposing of snakes humanely. But seeing the photos of the snake that was cut in half by the bird netting, can anyone honestly say that they think this isn't cruel (no matter how much you hate snakes)? Also, a lot of people obviously do call a snake catcher quite successfully when they want a snake removed, or snake catcher wouldn't have a job. ;)

and

A snake is an amimal to,

There are no answers Rebanne :o Otherwise we would not have to worry & we would be able to avoid snakes coming into our yards through one measure or even a mix of measures. If I had something to keep them out I would do so, I dont like snakes. IME experience snake proofing or measures to keep them out of our house yard is pointless. I have thought about it 1000 times. Even then if we "somehow" snake proof the house yard, how do any snakes already in the yard get out?

I have had a snake catcher to get a big RBL out of our closet in less than 20 mins. I was in a panic at the time with two dogs a 6 month old bub and a toddler in a small area. I have to admit the snake catcher did a great job. Perhaps it is the area difference?

I do think that area difference is something we need to keep in mind. We could be talking of a small suburban area, semi rural, acreage, or 1000's of acres. You are also working with unpaid wildlife volunteers mostly.

Venomous snakes do not attack dogs and any vet will tell you that the dog is just not on the menu for a snake.

When a snake sees a dog, it reacts defensivly because as far as a snake is concerened, dogs and humans are huge predators juts wanting to eat them.

So what possible reason would a snake see two dogs aggressively barking at it from inside a yard and change course to head straight at them?

Then too keep coming when a person is then standing there as well......ohh and it was a tiger snake.....pretty sure they are venomous :). This snake was in no danger, there was no one around and plenty of areas to go but it went straight for my dogs.....no amount of 'leave it' training on my part (if they actually remember when I haven't been there for hours) will stop them reacting if a snake goes at them!

I worry too, have seen a few snake skins, and last year saw a couple of snakes.

Volunteer snake handlers are very passionate about their snakes, but will not often come out if it is just in your yard unless in a dangerous place and it can sometimes take them a while to get there (as snakes often move on by then).

So what possible reason would a snake see two dogs aggressively barking at it from inside a yard and change course to head straight at them?

Then too keep coming when a person is then standing there as well......ohh and it was a tiger snake.....pretty sure they are venomous . This snake was in no danger, there was no one around and plenty of areas to go but it went straight for my dogs.....no amount of 'leave it' training on my part (if they actually remember when I haven't been there for hours) will stop them reacting if a snake goes at them!

I never said snakes were real smart,

maybe the confusion of the dogs barking and the sight of the human

made the snake act like that,

I wasnt there or i would be able to tell you difinitvely why.

Does anyone know if high levels of rainfall encourages snakes to breed more? sorry stupid q i know, but there seems to be so many more sightings around my area the last mnth or so then there has ever been Im really worried abt them

Rain is good for everything, growth in grasses will lead to seed eating animals like mice and birds boosting their populations.When there are lots of mice and birds around, the snakes will thrive to.

Volunteer snake handlers are very passionate about their snakes, but will not often come out if it is just in your yard unless in a dangerous place and it can sometimes take them a while to get there (as snakes often move on by then).

I live on the Mornington peninsula and if any one calls me in Southern Victoria Ill have a snake catcher at their door within an hour or so.

Pretty confident about that.

What area are you in ? and ill give you the number of the nearest snake catcher.

I have worked for WIRES in the call centre, and the snake people were all very lovely and helpful but it was sometimes difficult to find someone available in some areas in a hurry especially over the busy summer period when everyone is run off their feet with calls. Priority was obviously given to snakes in dangerous areas, and one just meandering through your yard was not as high a priority as one in a house or school etc.

I am near Hornsby.

ETA: They do a great job, just with the high volume of calls over summer it is not always possible for them to get to every snake in someone's yard. I was really amazed at the number of snake calls we had coming in.

Edited by Kavik

After losing a beloved dog to a rotten snake earlier this year, I can assure you of one thing. ANY snake that EVER tries to make its way into this yard will be killed. I don't give a damn whether it's PC or not, I NEVER want to go through that heartbreak again. crying.gif

We thought we were immune, keep our lawns down, but we are surrounded by huge paddocks with a church and graveyard on one side. While we try everything we can within our fence line, there is nothing we can do outside of it to control them. So whatever it takes to keep them out of our yard, trust me we'll do.

snake catcher

Who are you kidding. I've had 3 venomous snakes bite dogs after the snakes wandered into the dogs' small areas. I don't appreciate the $1000+ each in antivenene costs. As far as I'm concerned a good snake is dead one.

Edited by Shepherd Lover

After losing a beloved dog to a rotten snake earlier this year, I can assure you of one thing. ANY snake that EVER tries to make its way into this yard will be killed. I don't give a damn whether it's PC or not, I NEVER want to go through that heartbreak again. crying.gif

We thought we were immune, keep our lawns down, but we are surrounded by huge paddocks with a church and graveyard on one side. While we try everything we can within our fence line, there is nothing we can do outside of it to control them. So whatever it takes to keep them out of our yard, trust me we'll do.

I am so very sorry to hear this Benshiva, my worst nightmare :( run free little one. :heart:

I do not know why snakes do what they do? I still dont get it? Never will.

I do not understand why they come so close to the house? or even come inside when they have acres to live freely? We had one in the pound last summer and that is all concrete, noisy, you name it.

We had two very close calls last summer. I had to kill both snakes and felt terrible, still do....

I think Snake Catcher is doing a great job here on DOL in doing his best to help us in a very difficult situation.

We all love our dogs and are very worried for them. Mine will not be going outside at all until I site the yard and then supervise them. Difficult and frustrating :o my husband is already complaining about the dog hair over everything inside.

I asked for some ideas in netting for snakes. Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion, as I am too. SO in this case, thanks everyone who has helped me with suggestions.

As I have said before my dogs lives, my next door neighbours kids and their dogs life is more important than a snakes. While I dont dislike snakes entirely, I dont need any feel good stuff from people who are snake lovers so please if you dont have anything positive to contribute in this thread take your feel good snake talk and go find someone elses thread to post in. And lets stop the abuse between dolers shall we? It is totally uncalled for.

Our yard is immaculate, we dont have clutter but the yard is huge,the neighbours while a little busy with shrubs and plants is also very well looked after.The house across the road is very busy though and we have a huge creek area 100 metres away from where we are.

so where are your suggestions then to keep dogs and snakes safe?

No good saying don't do this and don't do that without offering an alternative.

As for ringing a snake catcher good luck trying to find one and then getting them to respond quickly

Rebanne

Like I have said in other snake related threads already,

you need to retrain or restrain your dogs.

If you cant train your dog not to attack a snake then

I suggest (again) the use of the shadecloth to creats a barrier between the dogs and the

protected wildlife they may come acroos.

Clean up your yard and dont give the snake anywhere to hide.

Short grass and trees and shrubs pruned in such a way as you can see under them,

Water around the dogs can attract snakes in the drier parts of the year,

be aware,

Get ontop of the rodents as the snake will hunt them using their sense of smell.

But the best advice i can give it training and vigilance.

Everytime you remove a large snake,

another one will move into its territory.

Dont fight nature,

rather,

build yourself and your dogs snake free areas..

i know ive forgotten something but no doubt i will be reminded of it soon.

Really good advice snake cathcer.

I have a dam just on the edge of my driveway with heaps of frogs.

We have seen tigers and mostly copperheads.

We have one Copperhead who likes to sun himself on the horses round yard as the quarter minus keeps nice and warm for him. He has been spotted, obseved and enjoyed by myself and my daughter many times.

My OH is snake paranoid and I only mention sightings to him AFTER the snake is in the clear as I'm sure he would simply shoot it! At least I get the area all cleaned up and trimmed BEAUTIFULLY if I mention the words "it's looking a bit snakey around the dam" heheheh He puts on a pair of Kevlar motor bike pants, long gum boots and spends the day cleaning up.

Keep the grass short and your eyes open and your dogs in areas as safe as you can make it.

Keep the grass short and your eyes open and your dogs in areas as safe as you can make it.

Which is exactly what I am trying to do. :D

The safest area for my dogs is not their outside kennels in summer as it is way too hot for them and it would be virtually impossible to snake proof that area or the whole section for the matter as it is huge.

So they are in their huge indoor run which is in our double garage, which has a huge fan set up, but in order to snake proof this area so we can still have the doors open is to use boards and netting, which we have done. This is the only area which we have netting. The whole section gets looked over before the dogs get let out. If a snake got into the garage who is going to tell two Bullmastiffs to leave it whether we are home or not????????

Last summer we had a big brown cruise into the garage. Thankfully the dogs were in a different area and they were safe.

So we have opted for this netting. Judging from alot of these posts, they all think I dont check the netting or that it is around the whole section or that I am going to leave them to die a slow horrible death. That wont be the case. It will be as fast and humane as possible.

The only downfall is that our house is on concrete posts with good old black soil underneath. Very hard to check but we do our best.