Cavvies Purchased From Registered Breeder-

Jodi

I'm not sure where to put this question, so I will start here.

I have been contacted by an owner who is moving interstate for work and will be traveling and can't take her 2 cavs with her. She was wanting to surrender them, but when I found out they were purchased from a registered breeder, (I can't recall if they are papered off the top of my head) I advised her to contact the breeder regarding her situation.

Apparently the breeder isn't interested. I am yet to find out who the breeder is and if this infact how the scenario is.

Can anyone advise me if this is likely that the breeder would just wipe their hands clean of 2 of their dogs? (obviously provided they are a registered breeder).

Thanks.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's clear that the breeder will not be taking them back, I'd be telling the owner to get on to Cav Rescue as soon as possible.

I'm assuming there's a Cav Rescue in Victoria.

If it were Q'ld, my experience of Cav Rescue Qld is that they're absolutely tops.

Sometimes that rescue has good people waiting to adopt.

That was my thought too Mita, thanks

If it's clear that the breeder will not be taking them back, I'd be telling the owner to get on to Cav Rescue as soon as possible.

I'm assuming there's a Cav Rescue in Victoria.

If it were Q'ld, my experience of Cav Rescue Qld is that they're absolutely tops.

Sometimes that rescue has good people waiting to adopt.

That's great, jodi. The Cavs should be got into well-screened new forever homes as soon as possible. With Cav Rescues (like Qld's) sometimes already having good people waiting....

That is, if it's not the original breeder's preference that they come back to him/her for rehoming.

Apparently, the breeder wants nothing to do with it. I am waiting on the breeders details so that I can contact and confirm this for myself and then I will take the next step. I just didn't know if it would be likely that the breeder would be so blase.

Thanks again.

That's great, jodi. The Cavs should be got into well-screened new forever homes as soon as possible. With Cav Rescues (like Qld's) sometimes already having good people waiting....

That is, if it's not the original breeder's preference that they come back to him/her for rehoming.

Apparently, the breeder wants nothing to do with it. I am waiting on the breeders details so that I can contact and confirm this for myself and then I will take the next step. I just didn't know if it would be likely that the breeder would be so blase.

Thanks again.

The breeder might not be in a position to take the dogs back, personally I'd take your friends word for it that the breeder isn't interested, and focus your energy on finding a suitable breed rescue to take the dogs on

The breeder might not be in a position to take the dogs back, personally I'd take your friends word for it that the breeder isn't interested, and focus your energy on finding a suitable breed rescue to take the dogs on

I agree with this. At the end of the day the breeder has no obligation to take them back.

Also I think the breeder may be alittle confused as to why you are calling when you friend has already spoken to then so probably best to take your friends word for it.

<I am waiting on the breeders details so that I can contact and confirm this for myself and then I will take the next step. I just didn't know if it would be likely that the breeder would be so blase. >

Well there are breeders and then there are breeders..... Decent breeders want to know if something like this happens and many will take the dogs back or at least help out finding a new home.

During my 6 years of co-ordinating Albury Dog Rescue I sadly dealt with MORE registered breeders who weren't interested in their dogs than those who were so it wouldn't surprise me at all if a breeder didn't want to take their dogs back OR provide support & assistance in the rehoming.

I can only assume that most good breeders care about their dogs and the homes their dogs go to and they rarely end up needing rescue. One breeder was so awesome that I nominated them for an MDBA Award - they drove hours to pick up their dog from the pound - a 9 year old dog in a breed that rarely lives that long - and she lived with them until she died of old age.

The breeder might not be in a position to take the dogs back,

'Scuse me? If the breeder was in the position to breed them, then they are in a position to take them back, even only for a few days until the breeder or the stud dog owner or somebody within the breed community is able to find a foster situation for these guys until a new home can be found for them. I'm firmly of the opinion that breeders need to be responsible and accountable for the dogs that they produce; if they can't be then don't breed in the first place.

Sylvia

To be clear, the person surrendering the dogs is not a friend of mine. I have been contacted through a friend of a friend as I have been privately rescuing for some years now. (Used to spend a lot of time here until things went a bit pear shaped with a dog I agreed to help somebody with--the somebody wasn't honest and it really frazzled me)

Aaaaanyway, I can't be sure that she hasn't put contacting the breeders in either the too hard basket or the I am too ashamed basket, and will be clearing any re-homing that is done through me with them first. I have not been forwarded the info as yet, and will definitely be contacting the people you have all mentioned. Your help is appreciated. :)

'Scuse me? If the breeder was in the position to breed them, then they are in a position to take them back, even only for a few days until the breeder or the stud dog owner or somebody within the breed community is able to find a foster situation for these guys until a new home can be found for them. I'm firmly of the opinion that breeders need to be responsible and accountable for the dogs that they produce; if they can't be then don't breed in the first place.

Sylvia

So you don't think that breeders circumstances can change so they are no longer able to take back dogs they have bred?

Breeders just like everyone else have things happen to them they cant predict which affects their ability to take a dog back.

Breeders lost everything in floods, bushfires, they grow older and they move house,they loose their jobs,they get sick and its simply not

possible now to predict how taking an older dog back will have an impact and why it may not be in the best interests of the dog.

Ideally every breeder would be able to guarantee that they could do this or at least help in finding a new home etc and sometimes there seems to be no good reason as to why they wouldnt but life isnt that simple and to

expect someone can take a dog and in several years time because they decide they have to dump their dogs that the breeder will still be in the same position they were back then is a bit un realistic.

Funny that the owner appears to be off the hook and the focus is on the breeder not being interested even though its them deciding to throw away their family.

Breeders just like everyone else have things happen to them they cant predict which affects their ability to take a dog back.

Breeders lost everything in floods, bushfires, they grow older and they move house,they loose their jobs,they get sick and its simply not

possible now to predict how taking an older dog back will have an impact and why it may not be in the best interests of the dog.

Ideally every breeder would be able to guarantee that they could do this or at least help in finding a new home etc and sometimes there seems to be no good reason as to why they wouldnt but life isnt that simple and to

expect someone can take a dog and in several years time because they decide they have to dump their dogs that the breeder will still be in the same position they were back then is a bit un realistic.

Funny that the owner appears to be off the hook and the focus is on the breeder not being interested even though its them deciding to throw away their family.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sylvia

So you don't think that breeders circumstances can change so they are no longer able to take back dogs they have bred?

Well said Becks

Perhaps these breeders are no longer breeding? we have no idea how old these dogs are, personal circumstances change...just like those of the owner, what you said is just like saying "Scuse me? that person was in a position to buy two dogs, they should be in a position to keep them for the remainder of their lives"

I think you should be grateful for the number of breeders who DO take their pups back in a rehoming situation...you're talking about pups like they're products, well.....there isn't many products that come with a lifetime guarantee is there? breeders have no obligation to take their dogs back