Working Bassets

corvus

A Basset Hound should have short legs, they are supposed to be low to the ground to aid in keeping track of the scent.

The wrinkling and large ears are all aimed at directing the scent to the nose. A Beagle type head will not be as effective in directing the scent.

If you have ever actually seen a wrinkly Basset on the hunt they don't look like the ones on that pedigreedogsexposed page, it's nose down, tail up and RUN! The loose skin does not hamper them one bit. PLUS, the loose skin is actually a form of protection to prevent tearing while they are running through scrub.

Edited by Shaar

The photos of the KC Basset Hounds, especially the one in the stack position, take the wrinkled skin to the absolute max, don't you think?

It's an interesting discussion, I tend to come down on the side of the Albany basset enthusiasts. At least their dogs look like they could do a days work, the examples of the KC bassets shown don't look like they'd be much good for anything except maybe racking up vet bills. I like basset hounds, they are a breed that's always appealed to me and I often watch them at dog shows. I think ours here aren't quite as extreme as the UK ones yet.

Smooth-Coated-French-Basset-Hound.jpg

Mrs-Tottie-s-Smooth-Basset-Hound-Champion-Louis-le-Beau.jpg

1900 champion in the UK

history.jpg

yes they are a breed with dwarfism but the excessive skin is getting worst as the years go by just like the neopolitan mastiff, shar pei etc. The saggy, houndier face actually came with the fact the dog was so inbred it was having trouble surviving apparently

http://retrieverman.wordpress.com/2011/01/15/the-outcross-that-saved-the-basset-hound/

I'm not going to dispute that they HAVE to have short legs as they are a Basset which translates to low dog AND they have achondroplasia (as do Corgis, PBGVS, Dachshunds, Fauves etc) but both the Albany bassets and the earlier show Bassets have some length of leg which would allow them to move.

Off to google some images of Bassets hunting - I've seen video of Fauves hunting and its AMAZING!

they look fantastic!

I grabbed this of their website:

The hound has shown the ability to identify and hold the line as a member of a pack.

* The hound has given tongue at, and only at appropriate moments.

* The hound has shown the ability to hunt over country for at least two hours.

can anyone say what it means?

eta: well obviously the last one is self-explanatory :)

Edited by raineth

I doubt the show dogs could hunt for 3 hours.

Personally i think it a darn disgrace, and am sick of poeple saying they breed to better the breed.... crap.

Judges need to stop placing dogs who can't do the job they were bred for, end of story. :(

The hound has shown the ability to identify and hold the line as a member of a pack.

The dog has to not dash forward..but to keep with the pack, under direction of the hunt master /kennel master* The hound has given tongue at, and only at appropriate moments.

The dog only vocalises when it is appropriate - eg: when it finally gets onto a strong scent , or prey is located..* The hound has shown the ability to hunt over country for at least two hours.

Dog needs to be reasonably fit :)

that's my interpretation, anyway :)

edit to remove 'stuff'

Edited by persephone