Urgent Help For Female Gsd X - Needs A New Home/foster Care

Elly is a 6 yr old German Shepherd cross located in Western Sydney. She has been living on the end of a rope for the last year, after a relationship breakup required a move to a location without suitable fencing. There is financial hardship involved and although Elly is fed properly with good quality food, she is extremely stressed and unhappy. She is never let off the rope apart from when her location is changed to the back steps which is where she sleeps at night.

Elly has lived with another large dog for a few months and was fine. Due to her current situation, I would not recommend plunging her into a situation with another dog and I don't know if she would be good with small dogs - she needs some time and space to recover from this trauma. It isn't very fair to judge her in her current situation.

She has never been walked on a lead or let into the house. Noone in the family has taken much interest in her but her owner has at least trained her to sit.

I took a dog trainer with me to visit her and she recommended that whoever takes Elly will need to have some strong lead control as she is a large dog that is untrained on the lead but she was very responsive and intelligent so it would take some time and commitment and she would be a much happier dog.

She is desexed and will be vaccinated before moving on.

post-4751-0-31567600-1320492623_thumb.jpg

Edited by dogmad

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking of this girl. :( It is absolutely scorching hot here today and I think there is a storm on the way too. So sad. I hope she is ok. :crossfingers:

ETA Dogmad is this the girl that's close by to me?

If so I would be more than happy to take her some toys and to visit to spend some time with her. I'd even be happy to try and get her walking on a lead.

I could visit a few times a week if it helps any? I am sure she'd appreciate the company, if it's ok with the owner ofcoarse.

I know the best case sceniaro would be to get her out of there altogether, but if that's not going to happen immediately, I'd be happy to help her in the meantime. Just let me know.

Edited by k9angel

Thanks everyone. K9Angel - yes I think she is near you, she loved having us there for an hour. She is very strong, if you were to try and walk her you'd need somethign to keep control of her. I'm not advocating them but perhaps a choke chain or something, just remember that she has never been on a lead and you'd possibly do yourself an injury if you weren't careful.

She loved being patted and fussed over and loves to play with a ball etc so if you were happy to go and visit, even that would be better than what she has now.

Her young owner doesn't live there and the relative that does isn't interested so doesn't spend any time with her. Whilst this all shocks me, they never chose to have a dog - she was a birthday present - but could have easily taken her to the pound but they just want to see her in a nicer environment.

I can pm the owner's no. to you.

Thanks everyone. K9Angel - yes I think she is near you, she loved having us there for an hour. She is very strong, if you were to try and walk her you'd need somethign to keep control of her. I'm not advocating them but perhaps a choke chain or something, just remember that she has never been on a lead and you'd possibly do yourself an injury if you weren't careful.

She loved being patted and fussed over and loves to play with a ball etc so if you were happy to go and visit, even that would be better than what she has now.

Her young owner doesn't live there and the relative that does isn't interested so doesn't spend any time with her. Whilst this all shocks me, they never chose to have a dog - she was a birthday present - but could have easily taken her to the pound but they just want to see her in a nicer environment.

I can pm the owner's no. to you.

Yes please PM me the no. Dogmad.

I am used of walking huskies, sometimes 2 at a time. ;)

I helped a similar girl a few years back. She'd had no training and was extremely strong on the lead. We did get there... eventually.

Thanks for the heads up. ;) I will take a few toys for her includ. a ball or 2, some liver treats and also some bedding if she needs it. Does she have shelter on the back steps at night or does she sleep under them? :(

The back steps are under cover, she's tied to the balustrade presumably - none of it is good and I'm keen to move her asap. I'm investigating one avenue but am not sure if it will be OK and I'll also be advertising her and vetting any calls, I'll be honest about her and hopefully attract someone who can give her a loving home.

The back steps are under cover, she's tied to the balustrade presumably - none of it is good and I'm keen to move her asap. I'm investigating one avenue but am not sure if it will be OK and I'll also be advertising her and vetting any calls, I'll be honest about her and hopefully attract someone who can give her a loving home.

Onya, dogmad. She can't continue living like that.

She's such a fine looking dog with potential...in the right hands.

I got to meet the lovely Elly today and OMG she is gorgeous. I so wanted to take her home with me.

Elly is calm, well mannered and so loving. :heart:

I took her some treats and some toys. She was very happy with them but most of all, she loved all the cuddles and kisses I kept giving her. I gave her so many and she lapped up each and every one.

I am no expert but I like to think I am a pretty good judge of character when it comes to the doggies (haven't been wrong yet) and this girl is special.

I cannot explain it but you'd know it if you met her too. :heart: ;)

*She knows sit and shake.

*She sits for the camera and even smiles. (I have proof :) )

*She is fine with her food being handled. I put my hand into her food bowl as she was eating and she did not care the slightest. (I can read their body language pretty well otherwise I would NOT of just put my hand into her bowl ;) ).

*She was fine being handled all over, from her teeth to her tail. (She just wanted cuddles so ofcoarse I oblidged.)

*She takes treats ever so gently or will look to the ground asking you to drop it. So cute. I love it when they do that.

*She appears to be in really good condition, both healthwise and temperament. Her coat is lovely and shiny and she certainly isn't lacking food. She is friendly and very well mannered.

I didn't put the lead on her straight away. Today I was getting to know her and vice versa. When I return tommorow (or the next day at the latest) I am going to start with her lead training, though I have a feeling she will be a breeze. ;) I cannot wait to take her for a proper, long overdue walk.

I really fell in love with this girl. She would make someone a lovely companion.

I think she really enjoyed our time together, she couldn't stop smiling and I know I enjoyed meeting her. :)

I went not long after we got a huge storm here. I wanted to see whether they actually did move her. They did. She was undercover and had some bedding.

I thought if it was just a case of the fencing I could help as I have a little spare here, but it isn't just that. The owners Mother has athritis and is unable to provide her with walks and exercise. She has tried to have the fence replaced but the owner is a tight a@@ (my words, not hers) and won't do it. :(

6325578310_87fb09faa3.jpg

6325576228_1616731035.jpg

Edited by k9angel

If someone could get in contact with me I'm happy to take the time to come get some professional photos of her if you would like :). Let me know via PM

What a generous offer, hope it helps her. Thankyou.

x 2. Lovely offer Jen. :thumbsup: