Is All Pet Mince Full Of Preservatives?

My problem isn't so much them using preservatives - it's this:

One product tested by The Sunday Mail last week had 435 times the sulphur dioxide level claimed on the packet, while others included the preservative without any mention.
VIP Pet Foods Supreme Steak Mince for Dogs had the highest sulphur dioxide level at 1140mg/kg. Published research says a level of 1000mg/kg depletes thiamine levels in pets by 95 per cent.

My problem isn't so much them using preservatives - it's this:

One product tested by The Sunday Mail last week had 435 times the sulphur dioxide level claimed on the packet, while others included the preservative without any mention.
VIP Pet Foods Supreme Steak Mince for Dogs had the highest sulphur dioxide level at 1140mg/kg. Published research says a level of 1000mg/kg depletes thiamine levels in pets by 95 per cent.

Exactly Amypie! And all the bad side effects of sulphur dioxide (brain damage, seizures etc).

I used to live in a kennel area where there were lots of greyhound breeders. They had two meat suppliers they would use. They avoided most suppliers because the preservatives in the meat would show up in the tests done at the races and disqualify their dogs. Apparently high levels of preservatives is the norm.

I feed my kitten the VIP fussy cat roo mince. Only way I can afford roo for her at this stage. At least it's better than supermarket dry food. Obviously not the only thing I feed her but that's by far her favourite.

If the product doesn't start to get whiffy in a couple of days after opening then I would be suspicious. Both pet supplies near me were quite cagey about their meat. Their response to 'does it contain preservatives' was 'we don't add any'. mmmmmmm

Think 4 Leggs is pretty safe as that never lasts long after opening the container.

I bought commercially produced pet meat once (VIP) and tossed it after I saw what colour it actually was. VIP.. nature does not make meat in that colour.

We feed mince that we buy from a local pet meat place. There's nothing in it except meat- which is exactly how pet meat should be.

Guest english.ivy

The raw meat I buy is preservative free and I've left it in the fridge a day late and stinky! Made me want to vomit. They process it in their own factory where I buy the food, so you see all the kangaroos getting skinned and chopped up.

I also only buy 4 legs sometimes, as a treat and they also go stinky after a couple of days, so I feel safe buying them.