Puppy Back Chatting?

shags

Hi all,

I have a 12.5 week old staffy pup that is great and learning and developing very well. Recently however, as she has found her voice and she has taken to talking back, at times when asked to do something. It usually happens when I ask her to "go back", out of a place such as the kitchen, that we are training her not to enter. She basically gets down on her haunches and does some little barking back at us and this is followed by a little dance. I have heard some different remedies such as ignoring...however she is in a place the we are not allowing and we cant ignore and just let her get away with being disobedient, because we are trying to stop her form back chatting. I have seen first hand and know that raising the voice further doesnt work, but soemtimes frustration does get the better of you?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

soemtimes frustration does get the better of you
:D

Only guessing - but could actually be the puppy expressing frustration - both because of not being allowed, but also maybe because she doesn't completely understand yet what you are asking of her. I'd just be doing the rinse and repeat technique - show her what you want, encourage her to do it, and reward heavily when she's done it - so in the case of teaching her not to come into a particular area, youd need to make not coming into the area more rewarding than being in there if you see what I mean. I'd probably be tossinf a nice treat - preferably one that will take a little while - frozen wing or something into the area you want her to be. And if you're not there, use a baby gate or something to keep her out.

She's a Stafford, some of them chat and personally I love that about them.

What is she actually DOING - backing up (eventually or immediately)when asked or not?

At 12 weeks "keep out" is asking a bit much to me - I would be using an actual physical barrier if it's essential she stays out of the kitchen at all times - not saying don't train too but if it's a matter of vital importance that she never goes there, then physically stop her doing it

If not then just keep reinforcing the back up when she does it - and teach her to generalise by asking her to "get out" all over the house.

I think she's too little to really understand what you want her to do. Have you tried actually picking her up and placing her in the area you want her to be? If you do this maybe she will get the idea?

I would second getting a barrier though too, dogs are opportunists and if they can get in, they will!

Both of my dogs "backchatted" when they were little, I kinda liked it :o:laugh:

Thanks for replies. I certainly love the fact that Staffy's talk and I want her to be a talker, but at the right time. Like welcolming you home? Being obtuse and talking back when I am giving an order is not what I am encouraging. She understands what is meant by "back" as she does it at various times in various places. She is choosing not to want to do it and letting me know she is not wanting to do it.

I think I just need to be patient and not expect too much too early. Is picking up and placing the puppy where you want her to be really advisable? I thought I heard that this is not good practice? I am happy to be told otherwise though?

Is picking up and placing the puppy where you want her to be really advisable? I thought I heard that this is not good practice? I am happy to be told otherwise though?

I use body blocks to move the dogs. Once there... reward! It works well for us

Being obtuse and talking back

She is a pup, not a child - the above do not apply. ;)

Calling a 12 week old pup obtuse isn't really fair - she is a dog, she is a baby, and she will learn very quickly once the lesson is explained to her in a way she can understand!

Calling a 12 week old pup obtuse isn't really fair - she is a dog, she is a baby, and she will learn very quickly once the lesson is explained to her in a way she can understand!

My point is, she does understand as she does it more often than not. She knows not to get off the mats that are at the entrance to the kitchen. But at times she chosses to ignore repeatedly and when told to get back, starts talking back? I am unsure what to do when this happens? Ignoring may quiten her down but she is still in the kitchen. But raisng my voice is obvioulsy no good either. So I was wondering what to do? Body blocking I wll try more and being more diligent on handing out treats immediately when she is good as per the video provided is a something I must do. Thanks to these people for their constructive advice.

My point is, she does understand as she does it more often than not. She knows not to get off the mats that are at the entrance to the kitchen. But at times she chosses to ignore repeatedly and when told to get back, starts talking back? I am unsure what to do when this happens? Ignoring may quiten her down but she is still in the kitchen. But raisng my voice is obvioulsy no good either. So I was wondering what to do? Body blocking I wll try more and being more diligent on handing out treats immediately when she is good as per the video provided is a something I must do. Thanks to these people for their constructive advice.

I have the same problem with Gus in the kitchen so I have reinforced that the kitchen is not a fun place for him to be.. a fun place is his matt, iv done this by placing his toys and a pigs ear or some kind of treat there while im in the kitchen... if he trys to come past a certain point I say no and place him back on the matt ( it seems to be working slowly) but it has been better than nothing :)

I am following this post with keen interest as I have the same trouble with Stella. She has always been a very vocal girl, very talkative but sometimes I ask her to do an even simple task & she will look right at me fairly closely

& speak/bark at my face. Even if i am just sitting with her, not doing anything she tries to engage me in a game she will bark at me. Very cheeky girl. :laugh:

Thought she may have grown out of it by now almost 12 months old but no.

Edited by BC Crazy

I am following this post with keen interest as I have the same trouble with Stella. She has always been a very vocal girl, very talkative but sometimes I ask her to do an even simple task & she will look right at me fairly closely

& speak/bark at my face. Even if i am just sitting with her, not doing anything she tries to engage me in a game she will bark at me. Very cheeky girl. :laugh:

Thought she may have grown out of it by now almost 12 months old but no.

If you have responded to her barking thats enough for her to keep doing it

12.5 weeks is still a baby - just keep reminding her. She may appear to know something, but doesn't really - and they do forget sometimes. Also, they often don't generalise very well - just cos she seems to know something in one context doesn't mean she knows it everywhere.

And wait till she becomes a teenager and starts testing to see if the rules she did learn as a baby still apply - they do - but you may have to start from scratch again!

Thanks for replies. I certainly love the fact that Staffy's talk and I want her to be a talker, but at the right time. Like welcolming you home? Being obtuse and talking back when I am giving an order is not what I am encouraging. She understands what is meant by "back" as she does it at various times in various places. She is choosing not to want to do it and letting me know she is not wanting to do it.

I think I just need to be patient and not expect too much too early. Is picking up and placing the puppy where you want her to be really advisable? I thought I heard that this is not good practice? I am happy to be told otherwise though?

I have done it with both my dogs as pups and had no issues and haven't heard it was a problem? I would only do that with a baby puppy though. If there are issues that's fine, but I haven't had any.

Guys I have been reading VAL bonney's book who's the boss.. So in this situation she would I think say:you grab the scruff of the neck as soon as pup moves off the matt to go in the kitchen and say bad dog. You can can then immediately tell it to sit ( if the pup will sit) and then when the pup has say good dog, the pup will understand it is then getting rewarded, it has forgotten about being reprimanded about the kitchen so won't think it is getting praise for that. The key is to do this straight away as if you leave it even a minute after the pup has left the mat going into the kitchen the pup will not know why it is in trouble .The pup will soon learn..

I am loving the book has anyone else read it?

I'm new to this so please tell me if I have it wrong :-)

So in this situation she would I think say:you grab the scruff of the neck as soon as pup moves off the matt The pup will soon learn..

Wow - over reacting much for such a young puppy and such a minor "offence"

The pup will soon learn you are an unpredictable nut-job not to be trusted