Aussie People

Clyde

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been admiring the aussies for a while too. I've been lucky enough to meet some of Gayle's dogs and Dusty is divine... I've secretly been thinking that an Aussie would be a great addition sometime in the future. We have a 2yo sheltie girl, I'm sure she'd love to have a doggy friend. The thing that I worry about is health issues, and thats not just this breed but all breeds. We've been through luxating patella with Georgia and I really don't want to go through that again. Are the Aussies known to have knee/hip problems? Everything I've read says that the Aussies are a pretty healthy breed though.

An Aussie and a Lappy and I think I will be all set for a while, that is until I fall in love with another breed :laugh:

:thumbsup: Think I am with you there whitka - next 2 for me - but not for a while yet

I just to have to convince the bf. He says where going to be a one dog household, think im going to have to change that ;)

An Aussie and a Lappy and I think I will be all set for a while, that is until I fall in love with another breed :laugh:

:thumbsup: Think I am with you there whitka - next 2 for me - but not for a while yet

I just to have to convince the bf. He says where going to be a one dog household, think im going to have to change that ;)

We've always been multi dog household - were 3 for quite a while and now 2 - we both work so I think it's company for each other - good luck convincing your bf :D

I've been admiring the aussies for a while too. I've been lucky enough to meet some of Gayle's dogs and Dusty is divine... I've secretly been thinking that an Aussie would be a great addition sometime in the future. We have a 2yo sheltie girl, I'm sure she'd love to have a doggy friend. The thing that I worry about is health issues, and thats not just this breed but all breeds. We've been through luxating patella with Georgia and I really don't want to go through that again. Are the Aussies known to have knee/hip problems? Everything I've read says that the Aussies are a pretty healthy breed though.

As with any dog you have to do your research and ask questions as to what health testing the breeder does. Aussies must be hip scored to register a litter (ANKC ruling).

Been meaning to ask does anyone know who the dog is in the GIO Insurance ad which was mentioned at the beginning of this post?

Also, wanted to say Red Aussie's rock too....think you need some red ones in your next photo shoot Gayle :laugh:

post-11623-0-56811100-1321184120_thumb.jpg

Yep! Reds are the best. :p

66651_1677777503961_1223209651_31854856_6144385_n.jpg

Can I just say that the blue merle Aussies are the only dog that I think could sway me from a Lappie as my next dog - so as a compromise i think I will just have to get one of each :thumbsup:

There seems to be a few admirers of the Aussies among the Lappie people I know. If I had known about Aussies before I got a Lappie it might have been a very difficult decision! They'd go well with a Lappie ;)

They do, just ask Tobster. Ella loves the Aussies, and both Kim and I love each other's breed. I think a Lappie and an Aussie would be a wonderful household!

I'm laying the groundwork for a second dog now with my previously "don't really like pets" bf :D Fortunately he realised when we first got together that pets were inevitable!

For red Aussies to be included in our next photoshoot, someone will need to bring them. So far no one coming has a red Aussie. Qualifying criteria for participating is that your dog must be obedience trained to the point it can do an extended stay, it must also get along with other dogs and not want to be in their faces. And you need to bring food for the humans. Cake or dessert is good, we've got the main course covered.

There are differences between dogs but not between colours. I think Dusty and Lyndsays girl Holly are very similar in temerament, soft, sweet and biddable and very devoted to their owners. Ripley is also similar but he's also a bit more independent, but that could be because we're his third owners and he hasn't quite handed his heart over yet.

I love that pic of Holly and the pup. Is it one of her puppies or is it baby Maizie?

The one sitting on her head is Maizie (of course). :laugh: The red tri baby she is sniffing is from the Lou Lou and Boss litter than Maizie and Peach came from.

There are differences between dogs but not between colours. I think Dusty and Lyndsays girl Holly are very similar in temerament, soft, sweet and biddable and very devoted to their owners. Ripley is also similar but he's also a bit more independent, but that could be because we're his third owners and he hasn't quite handed his heart over yet.

I haven't found colours make a difference either, but like Gayle said there can be a big variation in lines. Holly and Dusty are very chilled girls, although Holly is easy to switch on and LOVES a game. She's a show off and loves the show ring, Dusty... not so much! :laugh: Dusty and Holly are from the same kennel but different lines (I'm not sure if Dusty goes back to any of the same stuff, Gayle might know). There are some that are quite high drive though and need to be doing something most of the time. It's about finding a breeder who breeds the temperaments you want.

Shae, on the other hand, is soft and sweet and argues black and blue with me over every little thing. Biddable, when she feels like it, obedient, on her terms, hilarious, every minute she's arguing with me because she's the smallest Aussie I've ever seen, but she thinks she's 10 feet tall and supersonic.

She's not a dog for everyone but she's a real character and I absolutely adore her.

Dusty can switch on for a frisbee or a bike ride but no, she's not a show off, unfortunately and never liked the show ring or the obedience ring either. Isn't keen on herding because she can't do it next to me so she's now a princess, and that suits her to a tee.