Aussie People

Clyde

I am another who thinks Leo is just gorgeous, he is just beautiful, always happy and loves nothing more than saying 'hello' too anyone who crosses his path. He is a credit too you LP and to Ana and Ben who bred him......they are the breeders I want my first Aussie off because of how awesome Leo is :p

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

STOP IT! Aussie's are still top of my wish list but I'm supposed to be resisting another dog any time soon, especially a bigger dog in my little house... But I know wuffles's Ava isn't THAT much bigger than my dogs... Maybe if I get a girl... which I probably would have anyway...

Oh and I've seen the Aussie in that ad, he does seem quite solid. I don't know if he's a good eg of the breed standard but he's very cute :D

Edited by Saxonpup

Just need to warn everyone who doesn't own one that Aussies are a lot like potato chips.... It is impossible to stop at one!!!!!!

I totally agree with this - i'm new to the breed, with Lottie being my first dog, and I NEVER thought i'd become so obsessed with them (and it's hard not to, they're just such lovable, gorgeous dogs!!!). I can't wait until the time is right to add another aussie to my little family, and i'm hoping that's within the next 2 or so years!!!!! :D

Can't wait to see the new pics, Gayle!!

I think Leopuppy's dogs have swayed many to the Aussie side!

Her first litter of pups made me set on getting an Aussie one day :)

One day!! :crossfingers: Just need to find a property that I can afford that will give me at least a 4 dog permit!! :laugh:

Nawww shucks RS - but we all know it was B9's Mia that tipped you over the edge ;-). Just wait another few months and we might be tempting you again :laugh:

They are really great dogs to have as a pack, they love to play rough and they love to play with other Aussies. They are also scarily smart, but so far they haven't figured out that their combined brain power might get them things and places they never would have thought of on their own. They tend to be independent thinkers....independent of each other, thank goodness, or we'd have had the great escape times four recently when Ripley figured out how to climb a 160 cm solid gate.

couldn't agree more Gayle :)

Here you go Clyde, just for you...

One that Gayle took from that same Kilcunda shoot:

amanda15web.jpg

Doing what he loves best:

leo_ADCV1.jpg

Leo_ballaratshow.jpg

Being a ham with his best mate Kinta

leo_kintamtmartha.jpg

and lastly - Leo's nephew Levi:

Levi_headshot.jpg

Not Leo, but Panda, my most favourite mismark from my first litter:

pandabear.jpg

and her sister Zara being a goober

Zara_playtoy.jpg

Nawww shucks RS - but we all know it was B9's Mia that tipped you over the edge ;-). Just wait another few months and we might be tempting you again :laugh:

It might not be just RS you'll be tempting........ :laugh: ;) Love the pics!!! :D

Yep, most definitely was the gorgeous Mia!

You can tempt me but I will not crack!!! :rofl: The time just isn't right :( Maybe, just maybe, an Aussie will be my 4th dog ;)

Caveat: I like the devil's advocate role, or angel's detractor.

Aussies are not for everyone. Gorgeous looks and responsive, intelligent, and generally healthy dogs. But energetic, and require quite a bit of grooming. Not the best breed for the average suburban family. I know more people who are trying to get out of Aussies than trying to get into the breed.

Can't agree about the grooming, they actually require very, very little. I would spend less than an hour a week on my lot, unless I am bathing, but a quick general brush every now and then keeps their coats nice and free of debris.

In the US there might be more people trying to get out of them, but not here. They rarely come up in rescue.....in the past few years I can only think of two that have appeared in shelters and they've been quickly snapped up by Aussie people, then cared for until they've been able to be appropriately rehomed. There are usually two or three adult dogs available for sale on the DOL page, but they are often ex-breeding stock, or dogs that haven't quite turned out for the show ring.

They are not anywhere near as common here as the US, I'd still consider them a fairly rare breed here, and for the most part they haven't been targeted by backyard breeders, so health tests are generally being done on breeding stock, and sound temperaments being high on the priority list.

I agree they aren't for everyone though, but most dog lovers would get a lot of enjoyment from an Aussie. They aren't for people who'd prefer their dogs stayed in the backyard and didn't interact with the family. I have one who would give up any scrap of exercise if she could just lie at my feet all day, and another who would go bonkers if he couldn't run til he dropped from exhaustion.

Edited by Gayle.

These pics are just gorgeous :love:

I am a serious "poodle-nut" & have never really looked at other breeds to want to own. I love dogs with brains & beauty :laugh: ....as well as silliness!! But this thread has got me coming back for more.

They look soooo expressive & fun. They also look like they would be great to work.

Am I allowed to say they are pretty :laugh:

Edited by Poodle Mum

Aussies are not for everyone. Gorgeous looks and responsive, intelligent, and generally healthy dogs. But energetic, and require quite a bit of grooming. Not the best breed for the average suburban family. I know more people who are trying to get out of Aussies than trying to get into the breed.

Like every breed, obviously the aussie is not suited to everyone, I'm not quite sure what your point is :confused:

In the US there are more working bred and BYB aussies that may be less suited to pet life.

Here in Aus they are in my experience mainly show or performance bred with a strong focus on temperament.

Aussies are (rightfully so) growing in popularity here in australia and all the owners I've met adore the breed.

In terms of grooming, they are more work than a short coated breed like a lab or GSP but I wouldn't say they require a lot of attention grooming wise. They only really require grooming in certain areas (eg under ears, pants) regularly and you could probably get away with not brushing the body very often. They also shed less other double coated breeds like Labs and GSDs.

I guess if you're used to short coated dogs, they would seem like more work grooming-wise but iverall I think they're fairly easily to maintain.

Here you go Clyde, just for you...

One that Gayle took from that same Kilcunda shoot:

Doing what he loves best:

Being a ham with his best mate Kinta

and lastly - Leo's nephew Levi:

Not Leo, but Panda, my most favourite mismark from my first litter:

and her sister Zara being a goober

All I can say is Wow! I am sorry, I have not ever really noticed him before. It was Gayle posting the Aussie pics int he Pom thread that piqued my interest. He is absolutely stunning!! My brother has an aging Border Collie and has started looking for another but I am going to push him towards a merle Aussie. Totally thinking of his needs, of course :cool:

Like every breed, obviously the aussie is not suited to everyone, I'm not quite sure what your point is :confused:

Exactly what I was thinking confused.gif

Can't agree about the grooming, they actually require very, very little. I would spend less than an hour a week on my lot, unless I am bathing, but a quick general brush every now and then keeps their coats nice and free of debris.

In the US there might be more people trying to get out of them, but not here. They rarely come up in rescue.....in the past few years I can only think of two that have appeared in shelters and they've been quickly snapped up by Aussie people, then cared for until they've been able to be appropriately rehomed. There are usually two or three adult dogs available for sale on the DOL page, but they are often ex-breeding stock, or dogs that haven't quite turned out for the show ring.

They are not anywhere near as common here as the US, I'd still consider them a fairly rare breed here, and for the most part they haven't been targeted by backyard breeders, so health tests are generally being done on breeding stock, and sound temperaments being high on the priority list.

I agree they aren't for everyone though, but most dog lovers would get a lot of enjoyment from an Aussie. They aren't for people who'd prefer their dogs stayed in the backyard and didn't interact with the family. I have one who would give up any scrap of exercise if she could just lie at my feet all day, and another who would go bonkers if he couldn't run til he dropped from exhaustion.

Having worked in shelters and been involved in at least one of those rescues I could not agree more! IMO There are a LOT more people looking to get out of ACD's BC's and SWF's. Why? No fault of the dog or the breed just there are more of them around and there are a lot of folks that don't do their homework before committing to a dog! I agree an Aussie is not for everyone, if you have a small yard, no time and don't like goof balls then they are probably not the one for you, I have also commented from time to time that they would probably not be that well suited to a first time dog owner unless they were willing to commit to puppy class and then follow on owner education, I think they would just get away with too much otherwise!! As far as pets go I am looking one of ours sitting on the bed head tilted looking at me quizzically as we had lunch and didn't share and the young one asleep in his puppy pen passed out beside his kong!! On the other hand our 2 BC's prefer to be outside doing BC stuff!!

Dusty is a dog who'd be very well suited to a first time dog owner. She's the easiest dog I've ever owned....she's naturally obedient, she's not terribly active and she's totally devoted to me. She would rather die than do something wrong, she's very soft natured and just the most beautiful girl. Isaak has also been an easy dog, he's a bit light on the training, but he never leaves my side when we're out and aside from a spate of shoe chewing as a puppy, he's been very easy to raise. This morning at a show, a few people commented on how laid back he is and how noticeably attached to me he is.

I don't know about Shae or Ripley, we got them as adults but they are easy dogs now. Ripley is such a goofball, and such a smooch I can't imagine that he was ever a naughty puppy. Shae has most likely been shaped by her early experiences, which weren't nice, and she's the dog I need to be most careful about as she does not like other dogs approaching her when she's on lead and I need to protect her from that stress at all times, so I'm very careful where I take her. She's good at home though, couldn't ask for a better behaved dog. I can't think of any naughty thing she's done.

They're all so so so beautiful. I'm definitely in love!

One powerball and I'd buy some property and have a small pack of my own hehe, don't think I could have enough room for my impending Pomeranian and a few Aussies in my little townhouse. :rofl:

Are Ripley's eyes different colours or is that the camera playing tricks? His fur is to die for, looks so soft and perfect :D