Do You Still Vaccinate An Old Dog?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After consultation with my vet I made the decision this year not to vaccinate the 13 yr old boy we have in care any more. She believes it would be more detrimental to his health to continue vaccinating than to rely on the antibodies he has built up in his system over his life span.

Guest donatella

wow, this is interesting, I always thought it was just mandatory to get done every year, at least that's what vets have always said, is that for revenue?

I have two dogs with low immunity that have to be vaccinated almost yearly.

Most vets recommend yearly vacc as the cost of titre testing etc puts most people off. Vaccinating is much the same price.

Two things here - low immunity judging by what? Titre testing only shows up the antibodies actually in the blood stream at the time. If the dog hasn't been exposed to the virus "recently" then the antibodies won't be wandering around the bloodstream, that's not how the immune system works. The dog could then test as having low immunity when it could be that if the dog encounters the virus it's immune system will actually do what it's meant to do and produce the right antibodies.

The cost of vaccinating vs the cost of titre testing may be the reason why some people chose to vaccinate and that's their choice. The cost TO THE DOG is the reason I choose not to vaccinate annually.

I ask a simple question - when were you last titre tested or vaccinated for polio?

Edited by Sandra777

I have two dogs with low immunity that have to be vaccinated almost yearly.

Most vets recommend yearly vacc as the cost of titre testing etc puts most people off. Vaccinating is much the same price.

Two things here - low immunity judging by what? Titre testing only shows up the antibodies actually in the blood stream at the time. If the dog hasn't been exposed to the virus "recently" then the antibodies won't be wandering around the bloodstream, that's not how the immune system works. The dog could then test as having low immunity when it could be that if the dog encounters the virus it's immune system will actually do what it's meant to do and produce the right antibodies.

The cost of vaccinating vs the cost of titre testing may be the reason why some people chose to vaccinate and that's their choice. The cost TO THE DOG is the reason I choose not to vaccinate annually.

I ask a simple question - when were you last titre tested or vaccinated for polio?

I agree with this reply.

Puppy Vacc then booster at 15 months then that's it folks for mine.

By choice that is what I'd do, but if mine have to go to kennels then they have to be vaccinated within 12 months of their stay :mad

Most kennels accept titres now

They have to be vaccinated within 12 months??? it only takes a few weeks to get immunity, would they not accept a dog who had it vaccination say 4 weeks before their stay??? If they didn't stay often they may only need to be vaccinated every few years at most

I will be titre testing at 15 months and then every three or so years (depending on what clubs we are members of and what their requirements are). My pups had two vaccines at 7 and 11 weeks and hopefully that will be it for life.\

ETA- most vaccines are only registered for yearly coverage so vets are required to tell clients it is required yearly- not revenue raising but protecting themselves.

Edited by Jumabaar