What Are The Different Breed That You Have?

TC001

We have a male Lab, 14 months old and we are thinking of getting another dog when he's matured. My son wants a GSD, wife wants a little toy poodle. What are the different breeds that you guys have ? ie a Lab & a GSD? a GSD and a retriever? Is it better to get another male or a female? or it doesn't matter?

I have a female desexed Shih Tzu 6 years, a entire male Golden Retriever 17 months and an entire female Golden aged 8 months. My three get a long great and size isn't much of an issue. I have had two males with no problem but this is my first time with two females together. So far so good, but my golden is pretty laid back.

It now comes down to if you want to add more hair to the mix......if not, get the poodle :laugh:

I used to have a mix of Belgian Malinois F, German Shepherd M (desexed), Dogue de Bordeaux M and Rottweiler M

I am now down to 2 Belgian Shepherd bitches and the male Dogue

Honestly get the opposite sex. Saying that there is a massive difference between a german shepherd and a toy poodle in their needs, temperament etc. How old is your son? How much training and care has he contributed to the labrador you have now?

I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and a Chihuahua, both female. I also live with two male poodle x cocker spaniels, (they are not "mine"). All four get along fine, but my two bond more don't really take notice of the poodle crosses. We also occasionally look after an old female maltese. So in my experience it doesn't really matter what sex or breed.

2 BC's one m and one f

2 Aussies both m

1 Lab F

1 Great Dane Cross F

oh and 4 horses a couple of chooks and some ducks

For the record

All but 1 Aussie are desexed

Dog 1 = BC Male - outside dog, crated at night

Dog 2 = BC Female - outside dog crated at night

Dog 3 = Aussie Male - Inside dog sleeps on our feet in the lounge and on the bed at night. Is kept in the AC bedroom during the day.

Dog 4 = Aussie Male (entire 4 months old soon for the snip) -inside in a puppy pen

Dog 5 = Lab Female - Outside dog crated at night

Dog 6 = GDX Female - Inside dog, is 4year olds best friend, sleeps on adults bed at night

Dog 1 and 2 are soulmates and crate, drive, play, live together and share a tuggie (no one can share or be near 1 with food)

Dog 2 and 3 are good mates will play together

Dog 1 and 3 are like two teenage boys together and play rough

Dog 3 gets on with EVERYONE has the best attitude and sleeps on the bed is a goofball but gets away with more than you could imagine.

Dog 4 is still using his puppy licence but is pushing it with 1 and 2

Dog 5 is a fossil and is dominated badly by 2 and 6 she has a few new holes in her ear and neck from 2.

Dog 6 and 1 have a kill on sight agreement and have to be kept separated or the vet bills are amazing!!!

Dog 6 and 2 have had a few blues can be together but supervised

Dog 2 is a bitch (in the true sense of the word) she will take cheep shots at 5 when she gets the chance.

Dog 6 sleeps on the bed as well.

I;m a bit boring, all mine are Australian Shepherds. When I lost my first boy in July, I thought briefly about getting another breed but after a walk around a dog show to look at the different breeds, I ended up back with the Aussies and decided they set the bar and no other breed surpassed it for me.

I'm a bit boring too. 3 Rhodesian Ridgebacks, 2 female and 1 male, female 1 is 13years, female 2 is 13 weeks and the male is 17 months, so far (cross fingers) they all get along amazingly well. :D

Before getting the puppy we thought about another breed.....but kept coming back to the awesome personality and temperaments of the Rhodesian Ridgeback. :thumbsup:

Eta we lost our first RR male 3 years ago (he is still greatly missed :( )

Edited by Huntia

11 year old west highland terrier - male - desexed

10 year old west highland terrier - male - desexed

5 year old springer spaniel cross - male - desexed

2.5 year old kelpie - male - desexed

All get along fantastically well. They seem to be a very happy harmonious pack who are comfortable to eat food in front of each other without scuffles - they play together well and generally appear to enjoy each other's company.

So far a scuffle-less pack :)

(touches wood!!)

12 yr old Kelpie X - female - desexed

7.5 yr old GSD - male - desexed

5.5 yr old Kelpie - male - desexed

The oldest girl is dog aggressive towards strange dogs but gets along with my other dogs, though she can be a bit of a resource guarder. The boys are best friends :)

I have:

4 yr old male Norwegian Elkhound

3.9 yr old female Golden Retriever

Both desexed. Get along extremely well. No issues whatsoever.

If you have a male lab, I would recommend getting a female dog.

Edited by Odin-Genie

1 male greyhound 5 years desexed

2 female whippets 3 years desexed

1 male whippet 3 years desexed

One of female whippets plays with the greyhound and sleeps with him, the others just all hang with him, everyone gets on really well and when we have foster greyhounds nothing much changes.

12 year old Rotti/Pittie desexed female

nearly 6 year old Lab desexed female

1 year old unknown cross (camp dog) female

The Rotti X and the Lab used to get along just fine, but as the Lab matured we started having the odd fight - these fights escalated in intensity to the point that I now keep them separated. Both are alpha personality types.

The camp dog gets on fine with both of the other girls - she is not an alpha personality type, so can run with either alpha girl without incident.

I've had multiple females running together without incident in the past, but am much more careful in the selection of any new dog (of either sex) nowadays - to make sure that the personality types don't clash.

All of my girls get on fine with the foster pups I have on regular occasions, but that's because they usually tend to be young and have a "puppy license" with the older dogs.

T.