Breed Suggestions

halfthewords

So I'm planning on getting a fifth dog sometime in the next few years (not for a while yet because of uni), and I'm having trouble with breeds. My personal dog is a mutt and I love him to death, so I will always own a rescue dog of some description, but I'm interested in showing/agility competing so I obviously need a purebred for that.

What I can offer:

- 1 hour walks x twice a day

- Agility and obedience three times a week

- Outings (i.e. beach, dog park, friend's places) twice a week

- someone is home most of the time here, if not there are 4 other dogs

- plenty of human and canine interaction; we have a busy family

- mental and physical stimulation

- indoor/outdoor access to a large house and backyard with a swimming pool

- training sessions at least once a day

- lots of love and affection! :D

What I'd prefer in a breed:

- low to no shedding

- short to medium-length hair (can hand-strip or clip if necessary)

- social (people and dogs)

- easy to train/intelligent

- obedient

- moderate prey-drive

- non-hyperactive

The only breeds I really don't like are big slobbery ones (i.e. mastiffs), Labs/Retrievers (too much shedding!!!), and the spaniels (i.e. Cockers).

It's also important that they are able to co-exist peacefully with out existing animals. We have:

1 x 2yo male Bichon Frise

1 x 6yo female Miniature Pinscher

1 x 8yo female Minature Pinscher

1 x 6yo male Staffy/terrier

1 x 7mo male cat (indoor/outdoor)

I'm really partial to terriers (:o) and I've already looked into Glen of Imaal Terriers, Airdales and Norwich Terriers.

Any suggestions?

Edited by halfthewords

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*ahem* kelpie! :) (as if I was going to say anything else :p)

- low to no shedding average shedder

- short to medium-length hair (can hand-strip or clip if necessary) tick

- social (people and dogs) Depending on the individual, some can be aloof, but some are funmonsters

- easy to train/intelligent big tick

- obedient tick

- moderate prey-drive tick - mine will chase cats but not much else

- non-hyperactive with the amount of activity you have listed above, no problem in a good individual

edit - plus many can kick ass as an agility dog!

Edited by Weasels

If you are interested in terriers for agility, an Irish Terrier might suit.

You may have issues getting a Glen in Australia, and they don't strike me as a breed suitable for agilty.

Most terriers aren't what I would describe as 'obedient' though, they have minds of their own and can be stubborn but they certainly aren't impossible to train.

Lagotto could be a very nice choice, you would have to learn how to scissor one for the show ring but if you pick a good breeder they would show you how and you would be fine.

Id also say a Schnauzer, id go with standard personally.

Edited by Nevafollo

Well, naturally, I'm going to recommend a Standard Poodle :laugh:

- low to no shedding Very low shedding

- short to medium-length hair (can hand-strip or clip if necessary) only long if you have it in the "Continental" show clip

- social (people and dogs) Extremely - because they love being admired :D

- easy to train/intelligent Most definitely

- obedient hmmmmmm

- moderate prey-drive Fairly moderate

- non-hyperactive puppies can be "bouncy" but the adults are very laid-back

Probably the biggest issue, since you are considering showing, is the coat maintenance - I've never shown, so my Poodles are always in "Sporting" clip

Beau6.jpg

*ahem* kelpie! :) (as if I was going to say anything else :p)

- low to no shedding tick

- short to medium-length hair (can hand-strip or clip if necessary) tick

- social (people and dogs) Depending on the individual, some can be aloof, but some are funmonsters

- easy to train/intelligent big tick

- obedient tick

- moderate prey-drive tick - mine will chase cats but not much else

- non-hyperactive with the amount of activity you have listed above, no problem in a good individual

edit - plus many can kick ass as an agility dog!

Not trying to be rude but are kelpies REALLY low to non shedding? All the ones I have come across seem to shed quite abit?:confused: Obviously not as much as some dogs but i would never have thought of them as low -non... happy to be corrected thou :)

Not trying to be rude but are kelpies REALLY low to non shedding? All the ones I have come across seem to shed quite abit?:confused: Obviously not as much as some dogs but i would never have thought of them as low -non... happy to be corrected thou :)

Certainly not non-shedding, but I suppose it depends on the individual - my girl barely sheds at all, my boy leaves a fair bit of hair around but then I only brush him every 3 weeks or so :o

I have seen a lot of variation in kelpie coat types, even though they are all about the same length :shrug:

edit - since HTW mentioned showing that'd be a show line (bench kelpie) anyway, and I really know nothing about their coats other than they're generally longer than the working lines. So I'll edit my first post :)

Edited by Weasels

I was thinking schnauzer - particularly standard or giant - when reading your description. You didn't specify what size dog you'd like?

I'd actually say a mini over the other two. Standard schnauzers are very smart but all the ones I've known are very stubborn, which can be a challenge when you're training an agility dog.

I know their are giants that do agility but personally a heavy set breed wouldn't be my first choice.

ETA: All the logattos I've met have been reactive/flighty. They still have small gene pool in Australia so that is something to consider.

ETA ETA: I'd also consider a mini poodle - great dogs. However, if you plan on showing keeping the coat would be hard.

Edited by megan_

I had a list very similar to yours not all that long ago - also a terrier fan :) I had it narrowed down to scotties, westies, irish terriers, cairn terriers and mini schnauzers a lot of variety there I know! Went to a few shows, chatted to a few breeders and met a few dogs. I ended up going with a miniature schnauzer and couldn't be happier. He's a no fuss, happy-go-lucky little fellow who is light years ahead of the rest of his beginner class at obedience. I clip him, which really hasn't been all that hard to master - it's not perfect yet, but I'm getting there - if you can find someone to teach you even better, although if you're wanting to show you'll need to learn how to strip them - which probably goes for any of the terriers. I plan to do agility with him, he's still only 5 months with a bit of a dodgy recall at this stage so we haven't started, but I've seen a few of them competing and they go round brilliantly! He should mature to about 8 kilos. If you're after something bigger, and like the schnauzers I'd look into the giants, the standards seem to be a little more challenging training wise.

I'll just give my 2 cents on my breed, Dalmatian. Sure it's not a terrier, but I've had the most amazing experience with my girl.

- low to no shedding........ she does shed a bit (worse now, just after heat), but its very short hair. Up until her heat finished she was hardly losing a lot. Brushing is minimal

- short to medium-length hair...very short hair

- social (people and dogs)........Cleo loves everyone! Dallies smile too, so you know she's glad to see you (or if she's done something she shouldn't have...)

- easy to train/intelligent.........people who say dallies are dumb/nuts are silly. She learns SO quickly and really uses her brain (moreso than some other dogs i've lived with)

- obedient ...........very obedient, especially to me, as her alpha. She "respects" what I say...but she knows who she can walk over!

- moderate prey-drive.......she likes chasing birds, but nothing else really. I would call it moderate, she certainly focuses when we stumbled across a bird.

- non-hyperactive.........definately not. Dallies have A LOT of energy, and Cleo would run all day if I let her but if we miss a walk - no biggie (she doesn't become destructive either). She also has a doggy friend that she can play with all day.

Dallies also do well in agility (the Spotted Devil is one dallie owner doing well in agility).

Size-wise, my girl is 7 months, 22kgs and 58cms. I don't expect much more growth.

Other than that - mini schnauzers are WONDERFUL. My parents have one, he would be a fantastic agility dog but also so loving, v. low shedding (hand stripping and/or clipping required) intelligent (a little stubborn at times) and very social.

Edited by newsensation_cleo

Probably the biggest issue, since you are considering showing, is the coat maintenance - I've never shown, so my Poodles are always in "Sporting" clip

Beau6.jpg

Shamelessly off-topic. But that is a gorgeous photo of a standard poodle. I never knew anything about them, until a couple of years ago, when I came across one, with just that same clip. The face, the lovely social nature, everything about him, very much appealed to me. Since then I've seen some more. Now standard poodles are on my short list of the breeds I really fancy.

Both of my terriers (Tenterfield and Manchester) do agility but I don't think they're suitable for you, they are both hyperactive and go go go, and also they aren't very social, prefer the people they know.

Airedales are large and a lot of grooming, there is one that does agility in my class but she doesn't seem too enthusiastic about it :laugh:

What about a Westie? Or a Cairn Terrier?

I was going to say a rescue cross breed but I reread you post and you said were also interested in showing. I have a soft spot for terriers too. Have you ruled out a Staffordshire Bull Terrier? My families staffy x fits all your requirements only negative I could see was the potential for dog aggression, our cross has none but the breed is considered to have some (not that I have seen it).

I do love all your terrier suggestions particularly the Airedale, have you thought of an Irish Terrier?

The terrier without the difficult side of the terror temperament would lead you to a mini schnauzer - show prep can take a while to learn as you need to know how to trim to show off the good points, the grooming can make them a hard breed to get into showing. They are great for agility the mini Brendall Beau Ben ADM, JDM, OOJC, OAC, OGC, OTGN, TNN was the first small dog to gain 3 Master Games titles and has just retired at 10 years old.

I'd say Mini Schnauzer too. They're little solid dogs and they're pretty willing to please thus great at obedience / agility training.

The Airedale terriers I've met don't particularly strike me as an agility breed either, gorgeous dogs but being a terrier they are pretty stubborn and like to do their own thing, especially if they have their sights set on something else (bird, leaf, scent :laugh: ). I was told they can be a little more agressive and dominant to other male dogs than most too.

I wouldn't say rescue a cross breed as above (if you weren't showing that is) due to their nature being unpredictable for the most part.

ETA: Grammar was a bit shocking so early on a Saturday! :laugh:

Edited by minimiss

:):)

Beau6.jpg

Shamelessly off-topic. But that is a gorgeous photo of a standard poodle. I never knew anything about them, until a couple of years ago, when I came across one, with just that same clip. The face, the lovely social nature, everything about him, very much appealed to me. Since then I've seen some more. Now standard poodles are on my short list of the breeds I really fancy.

+1

Sorry for OT but what a gorgeous Standard :love:.

I owned a Standard years ago and she was such a special girl. They really are the kind of dogs that everybody wants to pat when out on a walk, and geez she loved the attention :) She did great in obedience and we dabbled a little in agility, she was much better at it then I was :).

I agree with the suggestion for a Schanuzer. Very hardy, happy and smart as a whip!