Amusing Mistaken Breed Names

pie

I work in the pet industry and my colleagues insist I'm pronouncing the name of my Schipperke incorrectly. Apparently it should be pronounced 'shipurk'. :laugh:

I also had two separate people in one day last week call up and pronounce the breed name of THEIR OWN DOGS as 'daihatsu' and 'jujitsu'. Daihatsu being a Japanese car and Jujitsu being a Japanese martial arts. Yes, they had Shih Tzus - a Chinese breed. :laugh:

Also, the council keeps pronouncing Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, American Bulldog and anything with a blocky head as 'Pit Bull'. ;)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way anyone that has met me or the dogs know I spend a lot of $$$$ on name pronunciation cards for the breed!!

Well worth it!

Your phonetic spelling of the name is fabulous, and it is the only reason I know how to pronounce it. :D

Me too. Without you, I wouldn't even attempt to pronounce it. :laugh: :laugh:

Xolo, your 'Show-low-eats-queent-lee' (is that it :o?) is the best phonetic spelling I've ever seen! I'd love to see one in real life so I can say it!

I know Dachshund is actually (in 'Strine) 'darks-huund' but how do you say Pinscher?:o

Easier to just say 'tekkel' when talking about a Dachshund!

Pinscher is Pin-shur

I've had someone ask me to groom their Lapsang (Lhasa)

many people say they have a King Charles, when they actually mean a Cavalier King Charles - 2 different breeds people!!!(and many others say King Charles Cavalier!).

I went to groom a Cocker and the owner brought out their breed book of how they wanted it to look - the breed book was about American Cockers and they had an English Cocker (hadn't realised as the book was american and just called them cockers, so having done their research, a cocker is what they went off to buy, not realising they'd bought the wrong breed!)

I work in the pet industry and my colleagues insist I'm pronouncing the name of my Schipperke incorrectly. Apparently it should be pronounced 'shipurk'. :laugh:

I recently heard from amypie (OP) how this breed name is meant to be pronounced, and I would bet there are a certain number of pure breed enthusiasts that still don't know every dog name under the sun and their pronunciations. So instead of laughing at people not being able to pronounce it and leaving it at that, maybe take the opportunity to perhaps educate some and tell us all how it is actually meant to be pronounced!

I have been exposed to a lot of different breeds since being on DOL, but some of them I wouldn't have a clue on how to say until I have heard someone say it in real life. For the rarer breeds, such as yours, there aren't many opportunities for people to hear the correct pronunciation in real life :)

By the way anyone that has met me or the dogs know I spend a lot of $$$$ on name pronunciation cards for the breed!!

Well worth it!

You have done a lot to educate people on the correct pronunciation and I know you are pleased when pronounced correctly

(as I found out at Dogs on Show) :)

The problem with some breed pronunciations is that unless someone is fortunate enough to hear people pronounce it correctly they usually only guess the best they can.

whats Dogs on Show ? The Spring Fair ? Sorry I bet I will regret asking lol\ pssst its in my sig here tooo!

It might have been the Spring Fair, it was down at the herding. I don't normally venture up to the breed rings so sometimes get forgetful which event it is. Beautiful dogs.

I did venture down to the herding and yes, I remember you, sorry met so many people, always like to see the brains of the dog world and not just the beauty!

i get mainly pap-pill-ion as opposed to pap-pee-ahn or pap-pee-on. People seem to know the breed but when i pronounce it pap-pee-on, it just seems to confuse them as they have seen the 2 L's in there before and dont realize they are silent

Edited by ncarter

I recently heard from amypie (OP) how this breed name is meant to be pronounced, and I would bet there are a certain number of pure breed enthusiasts that still don't know every dog name under the sun and their pronunciations. So instead of laughing at people not being able to pronounce it and leaving it at that, maybe take the opportunity to perhaps educate some and tell us all how it is actually meant to be pronounced!

I have been exposed to a lot of different breeds since being on DOL, but some of them I wouldn't have a clue on how to say until I have heard someone say it in real life. For the rarer breeds, such as yours, there aren't many opportunities for people to hear the correct pronunciation in real life :)

Out of all the posts you could possibly chastise you pick on the one that clearly indicates I've tried to educate the people involved and they refuse to believe the correct pronunciation? :confused:

I spend my life trying to educate people about the correct pronunciation, it's odd that you would come to the conclusion from my post that I don't. I don't take offense when they get it wrong, but I do find it amusing when they think I'm the one in the wrong! :laugh:

Xolo I love your pronouciation education too. One of my friend at work thought he'd finally be able to stump me on breeds and held up a pic of your dogs in one of the dog mags, laughed and announced 'ive finally got you, bet you don't know what these are!'. He was SO ticked off when I not only identified the breed right but then proceeded to teach him how to pronounce the name! :D

I commonly type staffordshite or yorkshite by accident :o

i get mainly pap-pill-ion as opposed to pap-pee-ahn or pap-pee-on. People seem to know the breed but when i pronounce it pap-pee-on, it just seems to confuse them as they have seen the 2 L's in there before and dont realize they are silent

Well i've just learnt something new! I always thought it was pap-pill-ion, my parents used to own one so that was what I was used to hearing them called. I'll be saying pap-pee-on now. :thumbsup:

I also didn't know the correct way to pronounce dachshund so i'd just say sausage dog to avoid the embarrassment. :o I'll be saying "darks-hund" now too.

Can anyone tell me how to pronounce dogue de bordeaux??

We had a few exhibitors in histerics at a local dog show, Miss 5 and Mr 6 (at the time) happily walked around talking to people about thier breeds, the most meroable were the

Bate Gane

Nose Scott Retriever

Bench Fullbog

Bengi

:D

My son misheard Weimaraner as "bite your arm off":laugh:

And I got ripped off with my Malinois pup - she's looks nothing like a Malamute, must be a GSD cross. Errrrrrr...... :rofl:

oh goody you can clear something up for me!

friend and I were talking about malinois. I pronounce it 'mal-in-wah' and my friend thinks the correct pronunciation is 'mal-in-woo'.

She is actually Belgium though so I am inclined to think I must have it wrong?

Well i've just learnt something new! I always thought it was pap-pill-ion, my parents used to own one so that was what I was used to hearing them called. I'll be saying pap-pee-on now. :thumbsup:

I also didn't know the correct way to pronounce dachshund so i'd just say sausage dog to avoid the embarrassment. :o I'll be saying "darks-hund" now too.

Can anyone tell me how to pronounce dogue de bordeaux??

Dogue is pronounced like in play dough and Bordeaux the same so like bor-dough.

My son misheard Weimaraner as "bite your arm off":laugh:

And I got ripped off with my Malinois pup - she's looks nothing like a Malamute, must be a GSD cross. Errrrrrr...... :rofl:

oh goody you can clear something up for me!

friend and I were talking about malinois. I pronounce it 'mal-in-wah' and my friend thinks the correct pronunciation is 'mal-in-woo'.

She is actually Belgium though so I am inclined to think I must have it wrong?

If it was the 'wah' sound at the end it would be 'noir'

Nois sounds like 'oo'.. French is a strange language :) haha

When I was nine I had a nice discussion with a friend who owned a 'King Charles Cavalier' and upon my giving them of the correct breed name, which they rejected that it was not a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel on a count of the fact that it was a purebred, with no spaniel in there! I tried to convinve her otherwise (I was a bit of a dog breed know it all at the age of nine!) but failed. At the time I found it odd that someone would not know the correct name for their dog's breed, but since I have learned that it's not all that unusual among adults as well!