Amusing Mistaken Breed Names

pie

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I've never understood is when people say they have a Labrador X Retriever. I've heard a few of those! So I tend to ask them if they have a Lab Retriever X GR or ?

Generally its a Labrador x Golden Retriever...or more commonly these days...a golden labradore :rofl:

:laugh:

You get some who think you have a cross when you say you own a Labrador Retriever. There are a fair few out there who don't realise the full name of a Labrador Retriever! But I never actually say I own Labrador Retrievers laugh.gif I own Labs, good enough for me! laugh.gif

What I've never understood is when people say they have a Labrador X Retriever. I've heard a few of those! So I tend to ask them if they have a Lab Retriever X GR or ?

Generally its a Labrador x Golden Retriever...or more commonly these days...a golden labradore :rofl:

You get some who think you have a cross when you say you own a Labrador Retriever. There are a fair few out there who don't realise the full name of a Labrador Retriever! But I never actually say I own Labrador Retrievers laugh.gif I own Labs, good enough for me! laugh.gif

Lol, you can't really mistake Golden Retriever, but I often do see Jack Russell Terrier misspelt as Jack Russel Terior

Mine's not that exciting, people just get the country mixed up and ask if he's a mexican hairless rather than chinese crested.

One of my pet peeves is people pronouncing the t in shih tzu... No-one can pronounce my name which doesn't bother me, but say shih tzu wrong... :laugh:

Mine's not that exciting, people just get the country mixed up and ask if he's a mexican hairless rather than chinese crested.

One of my pet peeves is people pronouncing the t in shih tzu... No-one can pronounce my name which doesn't bother me, but say shih tzu wrong... :laugh:

lololol well some CC s are that big they could easily be mistaken for a Xoloitzcuintle, but luckily the Cresteds are hairy!

Dog help them next year when I get Miniature Xolos in!!

My boyfriend doesn't pronounce breed names wrong, as much as get breeds so, so wrong it's just .. the mind boggles. He can't tell the difference between a Lab and a GR, which I suppose is understandable ( :confused: ), though I don't understand how you can't tell the difference when they're side by side. :grimace:

But the other day we had a Mini Dachshund visitor, and he asked me whether she had any Rottie in her. Um.. the black and tan markings, ok, but.. :laugh:

Before meeting me he was scared of dogs and his only experiences were really getting chased by his neighbour's GSD as a kid, and as a result not liking dogs. He's now a complete dog tragic, but god, he's really got no idea! I'm helping him with learning breeds, but it's just so strange to me that he can't pick groupings from really broad characteristics. To him, a GSP, Bichon Frise and a BC are as similar or different to two different coloured BCs. It's like he can't recognise that 2 dogs belong to the same breed, or TYPE. Obviously these things come with familiarity and experience etc, and I spent my whole childhood poring over dog books so am pretty accurate with spotting breeds and characteristics. I guess I Just take that for granted!

I've not yet been able to work out why things like pet insurance and council rego drop-down breed lists have both Labrador and Labrador Retriever. I mean, I know my dog is a Labrador Retriever, but if I mark it as such are they going to think it's a Lab x Golden?? I've spent too much time pondering this question :o

I've not yet been able to work out why things like pet insurance and council rego drop-down breed lists have both Labrador and Labrador Retriever. I mean, I know my dog is a Labrador Retriever, but if I mark it as such are they going to think it's a Lab x Golden?? I've spent too much time pondering this question :o

Or are they going to charge you more (or less?) if they think it's a cross? I noticed that on the insurance thing too!

I work in the pet industry and my colleagues insist I'm pronouncing the name of my Schipperke incorrectly. Apparently it should be pronounced 'shipurk'. :laugh:

I recently heard from amypie (OP) how this breed name is meant to be pronounced, and I would bet there are a certain number of pure breed enthusiasts that still don't know every dog name under the sun and their pronunciations. So instead of laughing at people not being able to pronounce it and leaving it at that, maybe take the opportunity to perhaps educate some and tell us all how it is actually meant to be pronounced!

I have been exposed to a lot of different breeds since being on DOL, but some of them I wouldn't have a clue on how to say until I have heard someone say it in real life. For the rarer breeds, such as yours, there aren't many opportunities for people to hear the correct pronunciation in real life :)

Out of all the posts you could possibly chastise you pick on the one that clearly indicates I've tried to educate the people involved and they refuse to believe the correct pronunciation? :confused:

I spend my life trying to educate people about the correct pronunciation, it's odd that you would come to the conclusion from my post that I don't. I don't take offense when they get it wrong, but I do find it amusing when they think I'm the one in the wrong! :laugh:

No intention to "chastise", yours got picked out because of the breed name and my recent experience with it. I was merely stating that I heard it said in real life only about a week ago and was surprised at the pronunciation (so much so that I don't think I'd be able to repeat it!), so thought it might be an idea if you maybe told us all HERE how it is pronounced! Because your post didn't specify. Had I not heard it spoken the other week, I would have read your post and gone "oh, that's how I would have said it, but now I am still none the wiser on how it is meant to be said!" :shrug:

I have no doubt you educate people in real life, but your post had the opportunity to educate the many reading this thread. Your choice I guess if you want to take it :) Sorry if you felt chastised.

My mistake then. It seemed hostile, but I've clearly misinterpreted it. :)

To anyone still wondering: Schipperke = Skip-er-key.

I don't see why dog names need to be pronounced as they would be in a different language. Which of you, when you pronounce Paris, puts the accent on the second syllable? We anglicise everything else, why not dog names? As for names brought from Chinese, no hope of teaching people to get the tones right, and the tones are at least as important as the consonants.

I don't see why dog names need to be pronounced as they would be in a different language. Which of you, when you pronounce Paris, puts the accent on the second syllable? We anglicise everything else, why not dog names? As for names brought from Chinese, no hope of teaching people to get the tones right, and the tones are at least as important as the consonants.

well my breed is important for the correct pronumciation ( obvious reasons) but mainly out of respect for the breed and the Country of Origin, its not just a dog its a journey through history and the respect of that is part of the breed and the people who own the breed!!

well my breed is important for the correct pronumciation ( obvious reasons) but mainly out of respect for the breed and the Country of Origin, its not just a dog its a journey through history and the respect of that is part of the breed and the people who own the breed!!

Personally, I like the KISS approach. I breed Labs or Labbies. Who needs to full name, anyway, especially as, in the Lab case, it's based on erroneous geography. What's the Deutsche name for a GSP?

The academic in me appreciates purism. The part of me who spent years trying to get students to do things properly sees it as a vain fight against natural Babel (ie verbal entropy). I'm afraid the public won't ever get past Xolo (probably pronounced Zolo) for your breed . . . just as most Norte Americanos pronounce Popocatepetl (the volcano that threatens Mexico City), Popo. Are you sure, btw, that the way you pronounce the breed isn't a Spanish bastardisation of an Aztec word? I'm reminded of a placename that translates Mountain Mountain Mountain, in Aztec, Spanish, English, in sequence.

I'm afraid the public won't ever get past Xolo (probably pronounced Zolo) for your breed .

Ages ago Wazzat Xolo wrote the pronounciation and from memory it is along the lines of show-low-queent-lee.

Edited by corrie

A lady at work called her JRT as Jack Russel Terrorist and then told both myself and the vet it isn't terrier, it's definitely terrorist LOL. I thought she was joking, her son informed me she is dead serious lol

:rofl:

do you think someone said it to her in jest and she thought they were serious?

there's a couple of doga around here that I could describe as terrorists :p

A lady at work called her JRT as Jack Russel Terrorist and then told both myself and the vet it isn't terrier, it's definitely terrorist LOL. I thought she was joking, her son informed me she is dead serious lol

Perfect! Haha.

JRTs are little terrorists though! :laugh: