Im Falling Apart Here Some One Please Help

flame ryder

He slept most of the night, had a bit of a cry when mummy came in, then mummy cried too. He will have surgery later today. I just rang work and told them I wont be in for the rest of the week due to my dog having an accident. I'm sure they think I'm loony. Only some understand the bond between dog and dog owner

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

He slept most of the night, had a bit of a cry when mummy came in, then mummy cried too. He will have surgery later today. I just rang work and told them I wont be in for the rest of the week due to my dog having an accident. I'm sure they think I'm loony. Only some understand the bond between dog and dog owner

if work thinks you're a loony bugger them! they are an extra child in my eyes and I would do the exact same thing! i tailor my work roster at the moment so that someone is always home with my little dog as I don't like leaving her alone. You're not a loony, you're an extremely caring, loving and concerned parent, don't ever think you're a loony, most people here would do the exact same thing in your situation :heart:

It is stressful when one of our pets are sick, accidents can happen in the blink of an eye, but now you need to focus on his recovery.

You really need to get yourself together and not stress your dog out with your emotional state. Animals very quickly pick up on our emotions.

Yes sadly your dog has a broken leg, he is fixable, you will not do him any favours by blubbering all over him when he needs to rest and recoup.

Yep, good advice. :D

While I understand you are upset, you really need to toughen up a little, if only for the sake of your dog. It won't be good for the dog to see you so upset, as you will only upset the dog. (as you said above, you cried, he cried).

He will be fine, he's in the best hands at the vet. :)

:hug: to you

Poor fella, I hope things goes smoothly for him.

Having an injured or ill dog is really a heart breaking situation.

Best thing you can do now is just concentrate on his recovery... prepare his crate at home, research some games you can entertain him with and stuff like that.

Edited by CW EW

Hope al goes well with the surgery :) poor little fella .

As said - breathe- do some calming things ..and keep everything as normal as possible around your dog. Unfortunately dogs can interpret our emotions very differently , and stress over how why we are acting odd ! Work hard at th e practical arrangements ...and at keeping your son calm and happy, too :)

It was an accident, he is in the best place ..and he needs you to be cool and calm and not falling apart :)

:hug:

He's home :) He has metal pins inserted in his leg/shoulder. Is is very whiney, but he is such a sooky la la. And yes I will try not to blubber over him. He is on vets orders to have almost complete bed rest for 2 weeks, then light exercise, gently increasing until 8 weeks when the pins will come out.

But I have a problem...I was due to pick up my new boxer puppy in a weeks time. I've been waiting for this pup since before the bitch was pregnant, actually I've been waiting much longer as I've always wanted a boxer pup for many, many years. Now I don't know what to do, I can't ask the breeder to hang on to him for 8 weeks or even 4 even if she's willing to do that I really wanted to bond with him while young. Hubby says to just keep them apart but I want the new boy to be a part of the family, not tossed outside or in a separate room. I also don't want to resent the new puppy if it hurts MoJo...I don't know what to do....what would you do?

Glad Mojo is going to be OK.

I'd talk to the breeder and ask them to hold the pup 8 weeks longer. I would, of course, offer to pay all expenses and expect(hope) that the offer is accepted.

(Just to put in context... I parent my doglets, I do not breed)

Edited by HonBun

Good to hear the surgery went well.

Since Mojo is to have complete rest what I would do in your situation is crate him, and do the same with your new pup. Mojo will be safe from the pup, and confined as he needs to be for his healing and pup will be crate trained.

Oh dear .... while I am SO glad your boy's home :) :) ... a boxer puppy bouncing on him any time in the next 4-5 months is probably not the best thing .

... IF you think you can manage two completely different dog types/needs/timetables for a while .. then do it happily ...

what would I do?

I would do it ..but then again I am a pragmatist , and have different 'asks' from my dogs , and don't go away to work during the day ..your scenario is much ,much different, and I don't envy you this decision time .

Hope it all works out for you ... :hug:

I had two GSD's break legs within a week of each other. One had a plate and screws and had to be confined for 4 weeks the other smashed he elbow into 3 pieces and had pins and screws and complete confinement for 8 weeks.

Very busy and stressful time. The boy healed well, the girl still had a hairline crack after eight weeks and so had a further month of being confined. After that they wer both fine and active.

Best advice, get a crate for the smaller dog (if You don't have one), but make it one that you can use for you boxer as well, especially when she's full grown. Dual purpose.

well MoJo is a 95% indoor dog, and I was planning on the new boy to be 50% indoor 50% outdoor dog especially being summer but he will of course be sleeping inside at this stage.

I wouldn't ask the breeder to hold him for as long as 8 weeks but maybe another 2 as I don't want him to be too old when I get him.

I never thought to crate train the new pup but could be a good idea...thanks

Oh and my son is still very upset and depressed about the whole episode, I don't know how long it will take him to get over this, if ever

Oh and my son is still very upset and depressed about the whole episode, I don't know how long it will take him to get over this, if ever

your son will get over it if you support him. Accidents do happen but you need to stop freaking out about it and show your son by your actions that the world is not going to stop just because your dog broke his leg. Life goes on no matter what and here is a good chance to help teach your son some valuable lessons.

As for the boxer pup, ask the breeder to hold onto it for another couple of weeks, pay her board then bring the pup home and manage both dogs. You will have to manage both dogs anyway because of the difference in size but a couple of weeks grace would be beneficial for your little guy. :hug:

Don't worry, you are definitely not alone. I don't think I could sleep if my dog was injured and sad at the vet. And my work took a while, but they now understand that if they want me they have to accommodate the doberman too lol (and by that I just mean we go away together some weekends for 'team building' exercises, and they always make sure Sammy can come). It wouldn't be enough for me to just have Sammy (ie I need people in my life too), but I wouldn't be happy without him either. There is a special spot for your special dog, and just like dogs can't fill the spots for partners, families and friends, no human can fill the spot of your dog.

Edited by jacqui835

Oh dear .... while I am SO glad your boy's home :) :) ... a boxer puppy bouncing on him any time in the next 4-5 months is probably not the best thing .

... IF you think you can manage two completely different dog types/needs/timetables for a while .. then do it happily ...

what would I do?

I would do it ..but then again I am a pragmatist , and have different 'asks' from my dogs , and don't go away to work during the day ..your scenario is much ,much different, and I don't envy you this decision time .

Hope it all works out for you ... :hug:

hmmm pragmatist?...now where did I put that dictionary?

I work only part-time and on the longer shifts I am able to come home and check dogs if I have to, I am lucky as I work only 5 mins away.

Starting to feel more positive about all this...I mean for goodness sake's I've raised 2 human babies....how hard can one invalid dog and one young bouncy puppy be? Time to go crate shopping me thinks

Time to go crate shopping me thinks

make sure crate is plenty large enough for your dog to lie flat on his side and stretch out without touching wire in any direction... ..and also to turn around easily in- without having to bend /knock that sore shoulder!

Glad you're feeling more positive teela :) You can definitely do it.

Crates, puppy pen, leashes, there's lots you can do to manage them. And the puppy will need to learn to be gentle with Mojo anyway, it will just be even more important while he's healing.

Hopefully your son is feeling better now too, it was totally an accident, they happen and it wasn't his fault. Mojo certainly won't hold it against him!