A Girl Dog Humping A Boy Dog?

Leelaa17

Ok so I am sitting outside right now and I look up to see my 1yo female german shepherd humping my 2yo male german shepherd (who is mch bigger than her) - i don't know what to think about this?

Is it normal? And if it is, can someone explain to me why she is doing this?

I think its quite hilarious but im unsure as to what shes trying to do. (they are both desexed)

when max tries to hump dogs at the dog park I always mke sure he gets off because I know a lot of owners don't like their dogs being humped.

I find it funny because jenna is significantly smaller than max, and she's a girl.

she does try to show him he's boss even though everyone knows max is boss.

"everyone", as in humans?

That doesn't count. ;)The dogs work it out themselves, and they understand each other's place.

I know a lot of owners don't like their dogs being humped.

..and their dogs are probably not at all happy, either.

when max tries to hump dogs at the dog park I always mke sure he gets off because I know a lot of owners don't like their dogs being humped.

I find it funny because jenna is significantly smaller than max, and she's a girl.

My dog tries to attack dogs who hump her. We've had her attacted to some moron's pig dog's face once.

Happens all the time at my place :laugh:

Girls hump girls....girl humps boy....and boy humps boys...

At the moment am avoiding the real thing....boy humping girl...not allowed this time ;)

All clients in my puppy classes freak out when their puppy is the "class humper"

Excitement, feels good!! and get in your place :laugh: ...Doesn't cause any probs here, I just ignore!

Happens all the time at my place :laugh:

Girls hump girls....girl humps boy....and boy humps boys...

At the moment am avoiding the real thing....boy humping girl...not allowed this time ;)

All clients in my puppy classes freak out when their puppy is the "class humper"

Excitement, feels good!! and get in your place :laugh: ...Doesn't cause any probs here, I just ignore!

Oh good! I definitely know boys hump boys as max seems to like the boys ;) lol

and i know max definitely doesn't like it when he tries to get humped so that's why i keep him away from other dogs if it looks like he's going to hump. i've seen a dog attack another because of humping before and I don't want max to be the cause (or involved) of a fight.

thank you everyone for you're replies.

Actually some older calmer more authoritive dogs will often use humping as a way of telling over aroused dogs to calm down and as mentioned earlier it can also be because the dog humping is over excited and is expressing that.

But this is a young bitch coming into maturity

Humping is actually a normal canine behaviour its just that humans find unacceptable!

You can't stop the behaviour. You can distrupt it there & then or interupt it, but you will never stop it, the dog will just learn to do the behaviour when you are around or present....thats wants happens when you ADD a punishment.

6171627810_087560bd4b.jpg

Sushi was the newest addition and immediately went about humping Whiskey, my only other girl. Whiskey's very submissive and non-reactive to smaller dogs but it was clearly dominant behaviour - took a while to get her out of the habit and I still have to correct her sometimes.

It is unacceptable behaviour actually. A spray with water or perhaps a loud noise should stop the behaviour, it's about dominance and can lead to fights but also not pleasant for the dog being dominated.

Not if your dog is a stud or for breeding dog. Yes its about dominance, but yelling, and strongly correcting breeding animals for acting on thier sexual urges can put them off when the time comes to do the deed! If you don't believe me, we just had an incident at a mating where a male dog who would get into trouble through his younger years for humping a teddy bear, and his brother, even sometimes playfully corrected, was so confused that he refused to do the 'deed' with his owner present. He was so confused and kept looking to her for the ok, but no matter how positive she was, he had been led to believe that acting on his sexual urges is wrong. The mating happened fine without intervention from the owners, but as soon as she stepped in to assist with the tie he would dismount and try and get reassurance. But if there not breeding animals then yes, for all means correct the behaviour, or better yet, get the animal desexed as i believe all dogs who are not breeding/show animals should be. Desexing reduces the amount of testosterone/oestreogen in the animals system, thus reducing the animals sexual desires.

At my house, our little girl humps our baby boy, and the boy returns the favour in equal amounts. I just laugh it off, as they both are show dogs, and we are planning to maybe breed them in the future.

Actually some older calmer more authoritive dogs will often use humping as a way of telling over aroused dogs to calm down and as mentioned earlier it can also be because the dog humping is over excited and is expressing that.

But this is a young bitch coming into maturity