Teaching Puppy To Stay Outside

SupaDupa Mini Cooper

Hi DOLers,

We have a Cavalier pup - 13wks old, which is the first dog we have ever owned so we are new to everything.

Cooper is for the most part a good puppy and is crated at night inside. We are happy for him to be inside most of the time but at the times he is a bit feral (aka burning off energy) we are trying to encourage him to go outside to play as opposed to attacking the furniture. The problem is he will only stay outside for more than about 5 minutes if one of us is outside too (which is not always practical) and then he comes and cries at the door. We wait until he stops crying and is sitting quietly at the door before he gets let in but he's normally still wound up and tears around inside. We don't want to leave him cry outside but should we just get tough and not let him in, or is what he's doing perfectly normal? We'd like to build him up to being outside for a few hours if need be (school pickups, grocery run, etc) because otherwise he's crated when we are out and I think being outside would be far more interesting and healthy for him.

He has a couple of different balls (rope and rubber) and loves to cart and chew our thongs too but as soon as we go back inside and he notices we aren't there he comes crying at the door... would more toys help or is it just a case of needing his people?

Rachel.

Provide plenty of interactive toys (kongs, treat balls etc) and feed his meals out there- then leave him out there for the periods of time you would like to. On beautiful sunny days like today i completely agree that it would be much better for him to be outside instead of in his crate too.

Make outside a GOOD~place - with bed, sandpit, plenty of bones/food/toys.

ONLY feed him outdoors .. and do your training outside too :)

several 3 minute training sessions a day will give him plenty of mental exercise, which is what he needs at this age .

Little puppies are smothered with affection and care in their first week or so at home.... it's no wonder they then find it difficult to be 'self contained' :(

Remove thongs, and other items you do not want chewed.. buy a few more toys, provide cardboard cartons, a soccer ball , and a large flat container with water in for splashing ...show him how to use these toys , and IGNORE totally any cries.scratching etc . :)

Make outside a GOOD~place - with bed, sandpit, plenty of bones/food/toys.

ONLY feed him outdoors .. and do your training outside too :)

several 3 minute training sessions a day will give him plenty of mental exercise, which is what he needs at this age .

Little puppies are smothered with affection and care in their first week or so at home.... it's no wonder they then find it difficult to be 'self contained' :(

Remove thongs, and other items you do not want chewed.. buy a few more toys, provide cardboard cartons, a soccer ball , and a large flat container with water in for splashing ...show him how to use these toys , and IGNORE totally any cries.scratching etc . :)

x 2 my little fellow was much the same when he arrived, with perseverance, he's now happy to spend a couple of hours outside when we're out. He has access to the laundry via a dog-door, but unless the weather is miserable he's very rarely in there. He has LOTS of toys outside and often takes himself out even when we are home. He's 6 months old now and has been pretty well at this point from about 4 months as he was a little more independant from then on and not quite so attached to my ankes!

Our GSD was exactly the same. I found crating her inside and putting her out during the day just confused her...she wasn't sure why she was allowed in at times and not others. We have an external laundry so we moved her bedding out there and put her out there to sleep...The door was still closed so she felt secure and we left a piece of our clothing with her for our scent. The first night we left a baby monitor in there (Just call us paranoid fur parents lol) and she did great, cried for about 5 mins - not hysterically but on and off and then we heard nothing all night...just the occasional scuttering around when she left her bed. She now does great outdoors. We started off like you, putting her outside for intervals and letting her cry...and not letting her in until she was calm and quiet....we'd go out and offer her a treat first then let her in. We extended it by 30 mins every other day and now she's fine. When you go out to her don't get all excited and playful, give it a few mins of ignoring her, just busy yourself outside - don't make it a big thing, so she doesn't feel overwhelmed, let her calm before you start to play, and lots of praise and treats :) - This is what has worked for us.

Forgive me for I have nothing of use to add to this thread, and there must be something wrong with my head 'cos - he's 13 WEEKS old.. hardly surprising he wants to be with his humans... sorry... I'll go away now :(

BUT edit to add, at that young age you may have to TEACH him how to play, how to interact with his toys and so on. Pique his interest, and initially you WILL have to spend some time with him to do this.

Edited by TessiesTracey

Forgive me for I have nothing of use to add to this thread, and there must be something wrong with my head 'cos - he's 13 WEEKS old.. hardly surprising he wants to be with his humans... sorry... I'll go away now :(

BUT edit to add, at that young age you may have to TEACH him how to play, how to interact with his toys and so on. Pique his interest, and initially you WILL have to spend some time with him to do this.

I was thinking the same thing :-)

I agree with persephone. Our GSD is a pup also, but if we continued to let her stay inside until she was say 6 months old and then decided ok now you're going outside - this would be worse than trying to slowly adjust her to ouside now. It worked great with our girl and she's happy and content to play outside on her own.

Good advice, now is definatley the best time. What I did with my oldest was put him out with something interesting and when I could see he was getting ready to look for something else to do, I would let him in before he had a chance to whinge about it. Or give him something else to play with. He did go through a short phase of crying/barking at the door, someone suggested a quick short spray of water from a water bottle timed exactly when he was barking, it worked great, only ever did it once, he caught on pretty quickly. Not sure other would recommend the spray bottle but it worked for us. I didn't need to worry about the other 3 as they took their lead from the oldest who was happy to be out when need be. I think most trainers will tell you ignoring is the best method butitishard especially if you have neighbors, but if you find what works stick with it.

By the way great name, the biggest dog in my soggy and avatar is Cooper too. :)

Leave the door open or get a doggy door to allow pup the option to go in or out on there terms .

Allow the pup to to venture in & out on its own terms instead of being reliant on the humans after all its the reliant aspect that makes them needy on humans

• 1 month later...

I have this set up. I bought some sheets of fencing type squares and joined then together so they form a large enclosure. We firstly set it up inside so he could be around us. Then we used it to block off an area of the house when we were gone but now we put it in the laundry so it blocks off the rest of the house and he has a doggy door to go outside with. He comes into the laundry to sleep and plays outside when he wants. When we are home we play with him and tire him out. I have a French bulldog but I did have 2 Cavaliers. They actually were very good and stayed in the house all the time, but this little bulldog is destructive so like you we have to contain him the est way we can.

This probably isn't what you want to read but he's a Cavalier and the thing is Cavaliers really want to be with you.... Mine spend most of thier time inside. They do go out to play at times and will sometimes lie out in the sun but they'd prefer if I was out there with them :laugh:

I have two Cavaliers and they are inside with me all the time. They have access to the yard but spend very little time out there unless I'm out with them. They go out to toilet and usually come right back inside unless the neighbours cat is on the roof. That entertains them for 10 minutes or so.

I agree with Gretel. Cavs are happiest when they're with their people and I'm happiest when I can see what they're up to. If they stay outside for more than a few minutes I go out to check on them and make sure all is well.

They aren't a breed that likes to be outside, separated from family! Wrong type of dog for that. What about a doggie door?

I rehome small dogs mainly and only to homes where they have access to get inside.

A doggie door isn't an option yet (we'll need a sliding door one), but I have to say he is getting better at staying outside (he's almost 5 months now).

He's only been left outside while I've gone out a few times and cried the whole time (or at least he was still crying when I returned 15-20 mins later), so he is crated inside when we are out. He doesn't seem to mind it too much, and he sleeps most of the day anyway so as long as he's happy, I'm happy. He does take himself outside during the day and will stay out for up to 30mins of his own accord - I usually find him out on the lawn chewing some bark or his bone. I've just been leaving the sliding door open for him to come and go as he pleases, but obviously I don't leave it open if I'm not home for safety reasons. Once he is past the puppy stage I have no issues with leaving him inside when we are out, but I didn't want to set him up to fail in terms of toilet training or being destructive while we aren't there to supervise.

It shouldn't matter if you have a breed that is very people orientated, for most people spending 24/7 with their dogs is not practical. Puppies need to learn how to be on their own sometimes, even for short periods. Nothing wrong with that at all :)

SDMC I left Lucy outside for the first time today for 3.5 hours I snuck in after 2 & checked on her & she was sleeping away so I ducked out again She must have heard me come in the second time as she was barking at the door :)

As of next week she will be outside 6 hours a day for 3 days so I thought I'd start building her up I think I was worried more than her :)

A Cavalier is only going to be content to stay outside for as long as it wants to stay outside. It will ask to come back in when it feels it needs to be back with the family. I don't have a doogy door and mine, knock at the pet barriers, and get told off and eventually stop. They can't have access to everywhere even if they think they are entitled. Much the same with out doors, when they've had enough they ask to come back in.

Of course putting them in the backyard (so long as it 's safe and secure) while you are out shopping, visiting or at work is a different story but once you're home they will want to be with you. And that goes double for two. Don't think for one moment a second Cavalier would change that. They can be taught but they don't have to like it. :laugh:

Edited by LizT