Groomin Disaster

blonde

The woman who taught me to groom when I was a youngster told me that she will tell a client that if the dog is heavily matted she will not also contribute to it's misery and discomfort by trying to dematt it. Sure a few matts can be easily broken and sliced up but in many instances it is better to wipe the slate clean and start again.

This woman was a wizz at dematting without distress and when I sent her a disasterously heavily matted maltese X I adopted I was expecting a closely shaven dog and was plesantly surprised to find a few inches of hair still on the poor girl.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the OP wanted judgement passed, but obviously she didn't realise that's a given on any DOL thread. She just wanted to vent her anger.

Well I hope she "vented her anger" at the groomer as well, though if she did, I would of thought she would have included what the groomer said in response in the original post.

I say a photo of the said disaster might well settle the argument of what constitutes 'disaster"..but unless we were privy to the 25min consultation or to a before photo we are left to express how we would feel if we were a. the groomer or b. the owner. I sympathize that the OP was displeased with the result but think there prime problem was communication.

A standard poodle with a partially matted leg from wearing a bandage over an injury shouldn't need all four legs clipped. And the customer didn't ask for all four legs to be clipped, so why does everyone feel the need to defend an unknown and obviously not very good groomer for not following instructions?

We do not know what the instructions were. Blonde only told us that she wanted her dog's 'socks' left long. We don't even know if the groomer was told the dog was matted.

No point at all in berating a groomer that probably doesn't even know this topic exists, but we can warn people that if they present a matted dog to a dog groomer, a caring groomer will probably clip the matted area as first priority, and aesthetics will come second.

If you don't accurately describe the condition of your dog to the groomer, the groomer may feel less inclined to consult you before making the dog comfortable.

This groomer might be a terrible groomer, for all we know, and Blonde have been very clear and honest with them may be very justified in being angry, but this topic should serve as an warning to anyone who takes matted dog to a groomer.

If a customer spends 20 minutes explaining to a groomer how they don't want the dog clipped and that they're nervous of leaving him with a new groomer, doesn't that groomer at least owe the customer the courtesy of a phone call before they clip the dog?

And how did some matted hair on one leg from the dog having it bandaged, morph into a completely matted dog that requires a full body clip?

This is just another thread that makes me even more determined to never take my dogs to a groomer, they just can't be trusted to do what's asked.

For crying out loud, how many times... SOME groomers, NOT all - please don't generalise. :mad

I won't take my dog to ANY groomer because SOME of them can't be trusted and I don't know which ones can. So safer to not take them to any. It's an unregulated industry where any weekend warrior with scissors, clippers, a tap, a tub and a hairdryer can hang out a shingle and start fleecing the unwary.

And kudos to you for not just trusting anyone to handle or groom your dog.

Oh and thank you for now saying SOME.

Yes, it's unregulated, and I think that sucks personally. Because those of us who do give a sh*t get lumped in with all the ''weekend warriors''.

A standard poodle with a partially matted leg from wearing a bandage over an injury shouldn't need all four legs clipped. And the customer didn't ask for all four legs to be clipped, so why does everyone feel the need to defend an unknown and obviously not very good groomer for not following instructions?

We do not know what the instructions were. Blonde only told us that she wanted her dog's 'socks' left long. We don't even know if the groomer was told the dog was matted.

No point at all in berating a groomer that probably doesn't even know this topic exists, but we can warn people that if they present a matted dog to a dog groomer, a caring groomer will probably clip the matted area as first priority, and aesthetics will come second.

If you don't accurately describe the condition of your dog to the groomer, the groomer may feel less inclined to consult you before making the dog comfortable.

This groomer might be a terrible groomer, for all we know, and Blonde have been very clear and honest with them may be very justified in being angry, but this topic should serve as an warning to anyone who takes matted dog to a groomer.

Well said greytmate. We don't have the full details of this story as far as I'm concerned. But one thing I would like to mention is that if the matting had already been mentioned on the phone, then I personally, would have made a point of going over the dog when the dog and owner came into the salon. THEN the discussion on what could or could not be clipped off may have been clearer to both. Who knows? This may or may not have happened.... I don't think we'll really get to the bottom of it

Six of one and half a dozen of the other...

I have a dog with a large shaved patch on one side due to injury, yes it looks a little odd but I definitely don't want the rest of her shaved to match! Of course the dog can have three fluffy legs and one not fluffy.

I wouldn't shave one leg, I'd send them elsewhere.

If I brought my dog to you for a bath, blow dry, ear, feet and hock trim (which is standard on my breed) and you saw the big shaved patch on her side, would you take it upon yourself to shave the rest of her to match? Even if I didn't point it out to you (and it's not obvious at some angles and now that she has a covering of short black hair there), it stands to reason that if I didn't ask for the dog to be clipped, then I don't want the dog to be clipped. If you felt that the dog couldn't possibly leave your salon with what I'd requested and a big chink of hair missing from her side, then shouldn't you say so before taking to any part of the dog with clippers?

There is a big difference between a MATTED leg and a shaved patch from injury, a dog with one shaved leg looks bloody ridiculous and no groomer wants something like that leaving the premises.

What I read here in this thread is an owner who really doesn't understand poodle terminology taking a matted dog to a groomer who may or may not have understood that they wanted socks( poms, bracelets?? or maybe feet clipped way up high who knows)who clipped off a matted dog. The OP also didn't want the head trimmed?? so we have a bob marley dog with one shaved leg, sounds like every Groomers nightmare.

Edited by Crisovar

Any chance the groomer may have tried to make contact? I know our groomers can sometimes try make contact but have an incorrect number or no answer. I'm sure if the groomer tried to contact and got no answer and decided to not touch the dog she would of been blamed for not grooming the dog. In the end it sounds like the groomer made the dog more comfortable and isnt that the main thing for a companion dog.

I'm not an expert or anything with show dogs, but if I wanted a groomer I had never used before to clip my dog to show quality I would make the time/arrangements with the groomer to sit in with the groom to ensure all goes well.

Probably one of the most important aspects of finding yourself a good groomer is to be a good client. Using invented terms like "socks" does not assist in clear communication it leads to confusion. If you have a particular breed of dog then learn about how it is groomed and you will then be on the same page when talking to your groomer and also be able to weed out those who come out for the summer tick clip season.

Edited by frufru

I guess a builder isn't going to do a crap job and tarnish their reputation so why should a groomer? Especially seeing as the end result is often walked around town. Sometimes I'm asked to do things which I think look silly and that's fine, I oblige - however I always tell the owner not to tell anyone I did it as I think it looks silly and don't want people to think it is the way I work.

A couple of weeks ago I had someone book in three Maremmas. She wanted them all clipped right off which in itself was grooming blasphemy, she then wanted one of them in a lion clip including the tail shaved with a pom on the end :eek: I just about died, but she knew what she wanted and was ecstatic with the result. Really lovely person who even phoned the next day to say how much she loved what I had done. Meanwhile I'm hoping no other groomers hear about what I did :laugh:

a dog with one shaved leg looks bloody ridiculous and no groomer wants something like that leaving the premises.

So, does this mean that a groomer can decide the end result, if it is what they want walking out their door?

Yep, I won't let a dog leave with something that I am unhappy with full stop.

An example of this was a Newfie with quite a matted rear end , chest and belly, the owner didn't want the whole dog clipped, just the matted bits ( which took a #10 ) , there was no way on earth I was letting a dog leave my salon looking like that and let that be an advertisement for my work.

I use my judgement and skills to make a dog look good and send home work I'm proud of

Ok perhaps i am going to flare up people again: when I say "disaster" i mean it as a figure of speech in a heading (as opposed to a regular sentence)-i think it has been totally taken out of context.. I see it as a horrible experience, sheesh if i call it a disaster I was sure people could see where I am coming from, but alas this is not the case. I have attached a photo of how he used to look about 6 weeks ago-just before we moved. I used to brush him every second day and still do bursh him every second day- i dont work and we live on property so i want to catch anythin that mite turn into a matt before it does, and the groomer i used to have would simply wash him and blow dry and brush him out-the groomer really was for the cleaning bit, not really for the grooming. So i dont think i am guilty of dropping off a matted dog to this groomer at all. Plus it was not a patch that was bandaged-the whole le had to be bandaged so that the bandage could stay on re the matting/knotting. The reason i took him to the groomer was for her to do what he used to have done. His back le had some sort of insect sting and had been bandadged and rebandaged and bandadged again and so was very knotted, but the groomer did spend some time telling me over the phone how she can take so many matts and knots out of dogs with this wonderful magical product-which is some kind of horse detanling product. I must say at this point we did not spend the whole 20 minutes with me whingin about how worried i was about my dogs hair being cut off. (Sorry my "G" isnt working on my keyboard so well). No the groomer had both my husbands and my number so no contact. And i did not have a go at the groomer for the way she did his hair, but i did tell her that i was unhappy that his legs had been shaved, to which she then started explaining to me how it would grow back etc etc-i guess i tuned out because i was upset. Plus she had her poodles running around so i was distracted by them too-she works from home. In my opinion if i want to vent then shouldnt i be allowed to on a forum? Also i really do beleive that the professionals that have responded to this thread are simply that-professionals-who perhaps lose sight of the dog owner who is an ammateur when it comes to terms and clip names which is what this particular roomer kept telling me-all these different clip styles., so maybe they should be aware of that-not all "regular" people know what you know in regards to grooming-ifeel a little overwhelmed with arguments against me.. and i have not been answring because i for some reason do not get any email messages saying i have had respinse to my post?? not sure if this is the normal thing-any insight on that would be appreciated. Ok well i am just getting my husband to try and take a pciture of my poodle-he is on the bed sleepin so not the best picture so my apoloies about the quality of picture as well in advance before i get bombarded with picture quality issues. Thanks for reading .:)

post-21972-0-81068200-1323422936_thumb.jpg

Seems like a strange business model to me to be aiming to produce a product that will satisfy your competitors but not your customers.

I do understand professional pride and of course caring for the welfare of the dog but isn't it generally accepted that a happy customer will tell some people how happy they were, an unhappy customer will tell everyone how unhappy they were. Blonde and Donatella havent named the groomers on here for obvious reasons but I bet they've told plenty of people in real life. And I doubt many of those people have the benefit of explanations from grooming/showing/breed experts as to why what was done was done, they just know that the groomer didn't deliver what the customer wanted.

I hope everyone understands the first photo with my longwinded reply was my poodle of how he used to be all the time, then the next 2 posts are of picutres of him on the bed now after he was groomed yesterday-i hope i am makin sense here.