Groomin Disaster

blonde

Was one of the back legs all matted where the bracelets are ?

I'm not sure I would have taken off all four. Maybe trimmed the two back one's down quite a way, to get them to match if I had to take some out of the matted one and maybe shortened the front one's a bit, so it looked less obvious and it would grow back more evenly.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohmigod, that isn't even "groomed" it's just shorn like a sheep. I'd be flippin' furious too!

What's to be proud of there.....bloody nothing!

Actually the body has been clipped fine. In the previous photo, there were tufts of hair all over the place, under the arm pits etc, the ears were not trimmed neatly.

If she had called me and told me it had to go, and i have thought of this, i would have done one of 2 tthins, i would have daid leave it and i will work on it at home or i would have said ok go ahead and cut it-now if i had said go ahead and cut it then at least i woudlnt have been shocked when i arrived at the groomers to find him all shaved-see its the principle of what was done, and no courtesy call to let me know. I would have appreciated the groomer even more if i had been told what was to happen and then i would have one back knowin that this groomer respects what i want and doesnt do anything unless she calls me first. The sad thin is i really think this groomer was a very nice lady, and i will not bitch about her to my friends simply because it might have been a one of bad experience for me but soemone else may have a good experience-everyone has their own opinion so i dont want to say bad things about someone that is trying to make a living out of this, its just not me to do that.

I'm with Gayle!

I would have dematted the ONE leg the best I could and taken it down, but surely you could have saved a bit of hair so as to not have to shave them right off. And why the need to shave down the front legs if it was just one back leg with matting. Quite odd really, and I dont blame you for being upset at all blonde!

In the first of the 3 photo's that is just my grooming- a home job-i do not claim that the first photo to be a professional groom-so tufts of hair here and there from an ammateur in my opinion is ok...

And again sorry my "G" isnt working the best

Seems like a strange business model to me to be aiming to produce a product that will satisfy your competitors but not your customers.

I do understand professional pride and of course caring for the welfare of the dog but isn't it generally accepted that a happy customer will tell some people how happy they were, an unhappy customer will tell everyone how unhappy they were. Blonde and Donatella havent named the groomers on here for obvious reasons but I bet they've told plenty of people in real life. And I doubt many of those people have the benefit of explanations from grooming/showing/breed experts as to why what was done was done, they just know that the groomer didn't deliver what the customer wanted.

This. Customers are your business. Your competitors are more there trying to take your business.

Even if the back leg fur could absolutely not be saved - and sure - the groomer thought it was the best idea to shave. It would still be a nice courtesy for the groomer to call and say 'I know you said not to shave, BUT these matts are uncooperative and will cause discomfort if they stay, can I suggest shaving would be the best option right now'.

I'd most likely say 'yes, do it' but it's nice to be asked rather than surprised because you expected something different.

This subject always seems to incite very passionate responses from both the groomers and the clients side. It is actually really easy to see both points of view. It seems that a realistic attitude, some regular grooming and clear communication of expectations from the clients perspective is required, and on the groomers end a honest and upfront assessment of what is required with each individual dog, and a phone call if they believe they cannot meet the clients wishes would go a long way. I completely understand that a groomer who takes pride in their work would not want a shoddy walking advertisement of their work when clients make ridiculous demands though! As far as I am concerned I get my girl professionally groomed cause I have tried to do it myself and to be honest it looked terrible:). She is hardly going to win any beauty contests (a face only a mother could love...and I do:) but I want her to be matt free and comfortable. Her allergies are also much more easily manageable when she is groomed quite short. I don't think I would be devastated if the groomer did not do a perfect job, but I understand that for some people it is important. Two sides and all that ........

Having had experience with poodles and bandages, i would think that leg would have been solid and no way it could be brushed out.

I have a sign up at the shop door that says that matted dogs will be shaved to the skin and may uncover other issues with the skin underneath.

When a client brings a matted dog, I usually give them the worst case scenario, so they are prepared to collect a bald dog, then if I can save coat and not have to be so extreme, that is a bonus for the client.

Blonde, as you groom the dog regularly, why didn't you try to remove the matts before taking the dog in for a bath and blow dry??

Thank you for the pictures Blonde. In my opinion I think the clipping doesnt look all too bad...I one of my poodles with a similar style to your (short over the body & bracelets. Occasionally I have had to shave down all four bracelets & start again because my much loved poodle brat has got one of them gunged up (ie like when she discovered compost) I shaved them all because she would look kind of funny. That being said the clip over the face and neck looks uneven to me, like the blades have been used in different directions haphazardly. Personally I would be changing groomers for this reason, not because of the shaved legs. Have you considered learning to groom your own dog?...the style you like is relatively simple and then you get creative control. Aside from show scissoring I have always clipped my own poodles..starting with the family poodle when I was eight.

Ohmigod, that isn't even "groomed" it's just shorn like a sheep. I'd be flippin' furious too!

What's to be proud of there.....bloody nothing!

Actually the body has been clipped fine. In the previous photo, there were tufts of hair all over the place, under the arm pits etc, the ears were not trimmed neatly.

Agreed, looks more even then before.

Personally I dont think it looks THAT much shorter than it was in the previous pic (maybe 2cms?), regardless of the leg factor if a client whats a summer clip thats how short it is :confused:

Regardless of the body that top knot looks like it hasn't even been scissored

Actually the OP said she asked them not to touch the top knot and even thou she asked them not to it was "scissored into a ball", I cant see where or how its been scissored, but purhaps thats just the angle of the picture and to me scissored into a ball would be alot shorter and wayyy more ball like so that has me confused? :confused:

The fact is with out knowing exactly how matted that leg was its not fair to judge the groomer. The OP says it wasnt that bad, but the OP could be lying? Or the Op might not have reaslised HOW bad it was, I find clients are some times oblivious to how bad the knots are and dont understand how hard it is to do anything with a dog once they have knots. Or the OP could very well be being 100% honest and the groomer was a dodgey one.

Id also like to second who ever said something along the lines of, you wouldnt get it until you have been a groomer. Its a very true statement, grooming is a very hard but very rewarding job and I think the groomers on DOL get so defensive when threads like this come up because we all take our work very seriously and for others to come on here saying all groomers are terrible ect its offensive! Im very proud of my work, yes I make judgement calls, sometimes I try to contact the owner other times I dont, have I lost customers because of this? Possibly, am I booked out well in advance? Definately. It DOESNT make me a bad groomer. Working in kennels and grooming I can tell you dog owners can be a great big pain in the arse, but I dont do this job for the owners!!!

Guest donatella

No one is saying ALL groomers are bad but don't get offended when you hear bad grooming stories because there are loads of them and anyone can pick up a pair of scissors and clippers and call themselves a groomer.

There are LOADS of very talented, caring, communicative groomers out there who have a passion for dogs and know what they are doing. The unfortunate part is we've just got to find them and its usually by trial and error.