Unrehomable Puppies

Leema

This is a hypothetical question only. (I.e. all my puppies in my current litter have homes and are fine.)

I was wondering if any breeders on here have decided to not rehome a puppy based on temperament or behavioural issues alone.

This is partly in response to Suzanne Clothier's article on "Perfectly Normal", where she talks about PTS a puppy that she was not comfortable rehoming for temperament/behavioural issues. http://www.suzanneclothier.com/blog/perfectly-normal

To me, this sounds like a very brave thing and I certainly hope I am willing to commit to PTS if I am ever am unfortunate enough to breed something with a questionable temperament.

I would hope that if a pup was so aggressive or otherwise impaired, that the breeder would have a full vet check done, try behavioral mod / training and if hopeless - then hold the poor thing at the vet for a humane euthenasia.

I had a pup that was super aggressive from birth, given my time again now, I would have taken her to the vet & had her pts. However heartbreaking it would be.

Instead I chose to keep her and spend her whole lifetime trying to deal with her aggression and limiting the impact. The rest of the litter where perfectly fine in temperament.

Being an ethical breeder means taking FULL responsibility for what we produce, making sure our puppy people get the healthiest, best and most stable family /show /whatever purpose dog possible - even when it shatters us.

fifi

I have never had to PTS a puppy with a behavioural problem but have with a cleft palate.

With the White Shepherds because they are going to grow into a bigger dog I would be watching all of their behaviour and if I felt one was going to be difficult I would PTS because of problems I have seen with Rescue.

I've had to do it..it's not fun, but it was the right thing to do. Puppy came back to me after a couple of months a total basket case because of what the owners did (or in this case, didn't do) Inspite of plenty of work and assessments, it was deemed that the puppy was not safe for rehoming, nor to stay in my home with people and other animals. It was taken to the vet and dealt with. Fortunately, I had a vet that didn't question my decisions on this sort of thing.

It's the crappy part of being a breeder and for many, they never have to deal with this extreme situation.

I have had to do it once.

My pick puppy fractured a canine, developing a tooth root abscess, he required immediate surgery on a Saturday afternoon, with only 1 vet and 1 nurse on duty, I am sure that her was probably left on anesthetic too long or too deep and suffered brain damage. Two days post op he started to chase his tail non stop, it was so awful , nothing I did would stop him, swimming (he swum in circles), walking on lead he was only interested in what was following (his tail). Medications, redirection even holding him in my arms he still wanted the tail, in the end I had no other option but PTS.

As a breeder, I thankfully have only had to have one puppy put to sleep due to a heart defect.

BUT a number of years ago, I was asked by a good friend to have her young puppy 9 months come and stay with me as she was worried about the puppy's behaviour. (Friend had had 3 previous obedience dogs) After having the puppy for a few days I knew there were major problems. After 6 weeks, I agreed with my friend that there were distinct problems. We attended a behavioural vet and with a very heavy heart this puppy was put down. I advised the breeder who unfortunately was not interested!!!

I know that other puppies from the litter didn't have a problem, for me this puppy would never have grown up into a safe dog around people or other dogs. I am also of the opinion that this behaviour can be there from birth, a bit like autism or other behavioural issues in people that you can only pick if you care enough.

Hopefully, I never have to make the decision to put a puppy down early due to temperament, I would however make the decision to euthanise, it is cruel and unfair to a puppy to bring it up trying to change poor/bad behaviours that are hard wired from birth. It is also unfair to sell a puppy like this to a pet home were accidents could happen which could lead to someone being badly bitten.

I haven't bred a litter with a problem obviously but we did have a rescue bitch through with a stellar temperament who had 8 pups. More than half were put to sleep by 12 months with both human and dog aggression. In hindsight they were very insular as pups - very much NOT puppy like.

Thank-you for those who have responded to this thread. It's certainly not a pleasant topic and I am grateful that you were willing to share, and I think it's important that we acknowledge that some puppies AREN'T rehomable - it's just difficult to get to that decision.

Thank-you for those who have responded to this thread. It's certainly not a pleasant topic and I am grateful that you were willing to share, and I think it's important that we acknowledge that some puppies AREN'T rehomable - it's just difficult to get to that decision.

This is very true Leema and I believe we have to accept and realise that it is sometimes no ones fault.

I wouldn't sell one that I didn't have 100% confidence in. After a vet check, I would PTS

The way I think of it is simple.

If I can't trust a dog or pup with my own family - it will not be placed with another.

Agreed.