Be Aware In Nth East Victoria

Rebanne

One of the pups from my recent litter was stolen from his Mum's home in the early hours of this morning. Two teenage? boys broke into the backyard ( padlocked gate ) and then broke into the run ( padlocked gate ). Luckily his Mum ran them down and they dropped the dog and ran off. Carrying a struggling, nearly 6 month old, greyhound pup is not easy. Thank God. Mum and pup both ok, Mum very shaken.

Police have been involved and it turns out there have been several dog/pups stolen recently from around the Yarrawonga area, couple of staffy's were taken and an attempt was made on a litter of stag hounds in a nearby country town.

Be aware please. Police line was maybe they were stolen to be sold on as Christmas gifts, I'm afraid my thoughts are darker then that.

fixed spelling!

Edited by Rebanne

One of the pups from my recent litter was stolen from his Mum's home in the early hours of this morning. Two teenage? boys broke into the backyard ( padlocked gate ) and then broke into the run ( padlocked gate ). Luckily his Mum ran them down and they dropped the dog and ran off. Carrying a struggling, nearly 6 month old, greyhound pup is not easy. Thank God. Mum and pup both ok, Mum very shaken.

Police have been involved and it turns out there have been several dog/pups stolen recently from around the Yarrawonga area, couple of staffy's were taken and an attempt was made on a litter of stag hounds in a nearby country town.

Be aware please. Police line was maybe they were stolen to be sold on as Christmas gifts, I'm afraid my thoughts are darker then that.

fixed spelling!

I think the police line is spot on.

There are now fewer pups available for sale and there is a thriving black market apparently.

A pup was stolen from a backyard by somebody who needed a bit of fast cash for another hit, and an innocent party bought the pup. Within 2 days the pup was back where he belonged, due to some alert and thinking people who sorted out a few others. Other owners of stolen pups have not been so lucky.

Unfortunately, we still have people in this world who will buy a pup at the pub, or in the car park at Maccas, or at the beach.

To anyone who is offered a pup for sale at the pub etc, please understand that it is probably STOLEN!

Souff

Much as I love Rebanne's pups I truly don't think that there is a market in NE Victoria for a 6 month old greyhound pup from a sale point of view when you can get an adult greyhound for free without too much trouble. Having sold puppies of various breeds in the area for 6 years (through the dog rescue) I can tell you that it is VERY hard to sell a greyhound puppy. I'd be pretty sure that he was stolen to be used to breed pigging dogs down the track as greyhounds feature very heavily in the local pigging dogs. Either that, because he has such great bone etc they thought that he was a greyhound X already. :(

Much as I love Rebanne's pups I truly don't think that there is a market in NE Victoria for a 6 month old greyhound pup from a sale point of view when you can get an adult greyhound for free without too much trouble. Having sold puppies of various breeds in the area for 6 years (through the dog rescue) I can tell you that it is VERY hard to sell a greyhound puppy. I'd be pretty sure that he was stolen to be used to breed pigging dogs down the track as greyhounds feature very heavily in the local pigging dogs. Either that, because he has such great bone etc they thought that he was a greyhound X already. :(

agree, they are not cute and cuddly nor are they popular. Add greyhound to staffy's and staghounds you get pig dogs. :( Someone had already asked to use him over their deerhounds :mad

If they were trying to on sell puppies for Christmas I can't see a half grown pup being a good choice. I would like to think he might have ended up as a pet but it would have been highly unlikely.

Thankfully his Mum saved him from God knows what.

agree, they are not cute and cuddly nor are they popular. Add greyhound to staffy's and staghounds you get pig dogs. :( Someone had already asked to use him over their deerhounds :mad

If they were trying to on sell puppies for Christmas I can't see a half grown pup being a good choice. I would like to think he might have ended up as a pet but it would have been highly unlikely.

Thankfully his Mum saved him from God knows what.

Yes, doh, I didn't really focus on this particular pup and similar older pups - they would be harder to offload.

However it is a fact that in urban areas, young pups have been stolen from their owners homes so it is a really good idea to NOT leave pups in the backyard when you are not at home.

There are thieves about and they know that an attractive pup can bring easy cash. Lowlifes. :mad

Souff