Sbt Pup, Average Price?

Red Fox

The SBT's I've looked at have ranged from about $800-$1200 depending on the breeder, this was in VIC. We want one as our next dog so we check litters/breeders out occasionally.

I'm sure you're aware but just in case let them know to be careful of breeders charging upwards of $2k for blues :mad .

I don't have an recommendations though, sorry.

There was a new member on early last year that bought a blue stafford because she liked the look of them. It turned out that it had skin problems & she sent it back to the breeder after much thought. She paid $2,500 for it. At the time DOL had many, many breeders selling the rare blue stafford.

Tell your family member to be very wary.

A member of my obedience club got both her staffords from a breeder in Eden, far south coast of NSW. Don't know any more than that as she no longer goes to training.

Breeding for colour has a long tradition. How do you think the golden retriever or the red setter/Irish setter ended out with their colours. I have little doubt people were paying double the normal price for pups of the 'in' colour 200 years ago.

Thank you for the responses. I have passed on the info.

God, it makes you wonder how people are meant to find a nice, well bred pup.. I direct people to DOL but when they come up with ads like some on that page, what hope in the world is there! :cry:

Hence the reason for asking about average price. Puppies advertised here at $2000+ has them looking at BYBs instead.

It just takes a little time to let the cream rise to the top of the puppy listings. It is worth doing the research and taking that time to make damn sure they get a good quality pup from a good quality breeder. As Sandra has already said, there are at least 2 farmers in SA and the way they word their listings makes them sound like car salesmen. Let's just say there's a LOT of spin and marketing going on!!! Your friend needs to be able to cut through all of that crap and let them know it would be worth also looking interstate.

Thank you for the responses. I have passed on the info.

God, it makes you wonder how people are meant to find a nice, well bred pup.. I direct people to DOL but when they come up with ads like some on that page, what hope in the world is there! :cry:

Hence the reason for asking about average price. Puppies advertised here at $2000+ has them looking at BYBs instead.

Those would be the "rare" blues though. Tell them to get a brindle - they'll be the only one around :).

Just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread, as my brother is about to start looking for a Stafford and I wasn't entirely sure of the pricing.....I was guessing around $1000.

I am just glad he doesn't like the blues at all and much prefers a really dark black brindle, so hopefully can find a nice lovely pup later this year. Any breeder recommendations for Victoria? Mainly because it's their first dog and will want to meet the breeder, their dogs and puppies before getting one. (I think I have trained him well :p)

Edited by tollersowned

There is a Toptaurus staffy that comes out to agility training and is a beautiful temperament and a little pocket rocket. I see they have pups available and they do not breed for colour.

My boy is the son of a Toptaurus dog, he has a beautiful temperament and great with my 2 daughters (3 &4). Wouldn't/couldn't ask for anything else!