"wet" Dog Food For Dogs

Leelaa17

Cherry has had allergy problems her entire life. If we cut out anything with red meat, chicken (raw or cooked or otherwise) and keep her strictly on a fish based dried food she does really well. Anything else and she vomits constantly, breaks out in a terrible rash all over her body and bites herself raw until she bleeds. Very happy keeping her on dried food, her coat is lovely now and NO allergies!

Which dried food do you feed, Huski? Henschke gets rashes is sensitive as well, and even though the food we feed seems to be ok, I wouldn't mind finding a better food if possible.

At the moment we've got her on Proplan sensitive with salmon but I have also fed the Holistic Select fish based dried food with success too (it just isn't as easy for me to get as Proplan). However I just heard that Proplan are changing the ingredients in their salmon dried food so I might have to change back to Holistic Select.

The other two dogs eat a raw diet and that is always my first preference, my cat eats a mixture of dried and raw.

Edited by huski

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, we've tried pro plan sensitive as well. Might give holistic a try and see how he goes.

A friend also suggested trying Canidae Pure Sea, which is also fish based. I will probably go back to Holistic Select once I can't get the old Proplan formula anymore, as I know it works for her.

Edited by huski

Poochmad I feed holistic select for breakfast most mornings - I've been happy with it. I alternate between the seafood and the duck usually.

My only gripe is that the pieces are so small it's too easy for the dogs to get them out of most treat dispensers :(

Thankyou for all the advice, i am going to try the sensitive to start with my bully, she has started to have pink feet and lower legs again this week, and is knawing them.

If it goes well i will switch the other 2 onto adult aswell.

I always thought raw was best, but being a single mum, self employed ,3 dogs, cooking up veggies is just not on the agenda ,after a week or so i just give up :laugh:

Sorry,

125g = 1 cup

46 - 50kg - 200g complete mix, 200 mls fresh water, 600g fresh meat

*For dogs over 8 years increase the Complete Mix by 10% and decrease the meat by 10%

Edited by Noishe

Cherry has had allergy problems her entire life. If we cut out anything with red meat, chicken (raw or cooked or otherwise) and keep her strictly on a fish based dried food she does really well. Anything else and she vomits constantly, breaks out in a terrible rash all over her body and bites herself raw until she bleeds. Very happy keeping her on dried food, her coat is lovely now and NO allergies!

huski there is also .....

Taste of the wild pacific stream canine smoked salmon and earthborn holistic ocean fusion..which can be brought at Natural Pet Store

and

California natural herring and sweet potato which can be brought from Sharlee stockfeed

Edited by Frodo's mum

Be interesting to look into why dogs suddenly develop a problem with raw ... was it always the one protein source or did it even happen to dogs on mixed proteins? Ironically I have a dog that will vomit dry food undigested yet wont a raw diet.

With my Pointer it was raw chicken, from what I can remember. I never mixed proteins in one feeding but did try when he was puking the chicken. He eats lamb, goat, beef and roo with no issues.

He also gets the runs from raw chicken, but not chicken natures gift wet.

Yup poor Mason cant eat chicken in any form, he can have it as a once off but more than that he gets upset tummy.

Have you tried cutting off the fat? Jindi would vomit pretty much everyday when given chicken. Someone at work queried a fat intolerance, so we switched her to low fat, added raw veggies and cut the fat off the chicken. It's now been two months without incident. Both dogs get a drumstick each everyday. It's a pain in the butt to cut it off, but it's saving our carpet at the same time.

I just looked at the Vets All Natural, but its over $200 for a big bag then i have to buy mince ontop.

what the 15kg bag? Unless you have a kennel load of dogs the 5kg should suit fine. Saying that it shouldn't cost that much anyway, it should be about around the $160 if I'm not mistaken?

I had to feed some supercoat sensitive to my bitch after she got a great case of acidosis. Her coat has turned to absolute shite. It's dry and falling out, from glossy and deep tan colour to a washed out sandy too. Ugh can't wait for it to come back.

I was recently told by a vet not to feed raw wings and necks as they were full of salmonela, and i wouldn't eat raw chicken, so why give it to my dogs!

Find a new veterinarian. If they cannot comprehend the fact a CANID eats some form of raw meat then he needs to hit a few more books. DOgs are not humans, they are not cats, they are not ferrets. All species have different needs. We CAN eat raw meat actually. The fact our meats are so contaminated because of the way they're raised and cleaned is the issue - some cultures do eat raw/pink/rare chicken and no one dies a horrible death because it's super fresh. Did you happen to mention we also eat sushi?

Food doesn't even have to be raw for salmonela to grow on it in any case. We humans have an incredibly long digestive tract, that is how bacteria can thrive in there. Dogs are comparatively short and that is why food goes through them so quickly. When they eat they poo the previously digested food almost immediately. There's no room for it all in there. It literally is input/output with dogs. Bacteria has a hard time thriving in there. And dogs can "survive" on garbage if necessary. They certainly wont thrive on it though.

There are conflicting views on raw egg feeding and like LizT said the concern relates to the biotin. I wish there was a definitive factual website that only displays proven scientific data. Even WebMD is wrong sometimes.

Here is an opposing view I found online.

"Raw eggs are bad for dogs

This myth is based on two premises. The first is that avidin, an enzyme found in egg whites, destroys biotin. While this is true, there is plenty of biotin in egg yolks to make up for the amount of avidin in the whites. The second premise is that there is the potential for dogs to be exposed to Salmonella if they eat raw eggs. This is a legitimate concern, but dogs are less susceptible to salmonellosis than humans. This is due, in part, to the fact that dogs have shorter digestive tracts than humans. Raw or boiled eggs are actually an excellent source of highly digestible protein in canine diets."

The full article can be viewed at: http://petfoodtalk.com/dogfoodreviews/dog-food-analysis-ingredient-myths/

I think it all comes down to the quantity and frequency of raw eggs.

If a dog is eating one raw egg white once a week it will have little affect on him. If he is given a raw egg white daily his coat may become listless and dry. Raw yolk daily and his coat will gleam. Raw egg yolk once a week and you have just boost his protein for that day. In the wild no canine will have access to raw eggs year round. It is a seasonal treat to be relished and enjoyed en mass while the getting is good.

All things in moderation. :)

Ah yes, we've tried pro plan sensitive as well. Might give holistic a try and see how he goes.

A friend also suggested trying Canidae Pure Sea, which is also fish based. I will probably go back to Holistic Select once I can't get the old Proplan formula anymore, as I know it works for her.

I feed this and rate it as a dry food. As it is grain free you also feed less.

I do the same for my pup as he is eating over 600g of meat a day at this stage. However the vets all natural lasts my pup and big dog only a month thats a 5kg bag.

ETA that's wrong it will last them just under 3 weeks ....

:eek: Bulk buying for you! :laugh:

I suppose mine are so not foody, they struggle to eat 2/3 of the recommended amount, yet still maintain condition. I will say when I fed dry food I had much more food driven dogs (as in always looking for food), these dogs on raw seem satiated. I have to crack out the pastrami or honey smoked ham to use for training.

The best dog food for your dog is the food your dog does best on. If your dog does really well on dog rolls and Supercoat then feed him that. If your dog does well on raw then feed him raw. If your dog does well on Woollies Home Brand Sardines and a premium kibble like Royal Canin then feed him that.

Take no notice of the food evangelists, just feed your dog what your dog does best on.