Neighbour's Dog

claireybell

My new neighbour has a dog named Buddy. I've met him a few times and he seems like a happy little dog, very friendly. My neighbour has started putting Buddy outside to sleep of a night time. He has a kennel and a warm bed but he's obviously not used to being outside as he cries and barks. He's been getting slowly better though. Tonight my neighbour has her boyfriend over, Buddy was outside barking and from my kitchen I heard the boyfriend go outside yell "shut the f up" and then I heard Buddy yelp. Actually it was more like a scream. Ordinarily I would stick my nose in and go off but the boyfriend scares me and I have a baby and 2 dogs of my own to consider.

How can I approach my neighbour about the situation without putting my family in harms way? Or should I stay out of it? I can't be sure that the boyfriend did anything to Buddy as I didn't see it, I just heard the event. So I am assuming he purposely hurt the dog. Would you do anything?

Honestly I wouldn't. I'd probably look at filling in an anonymous complaint with your local council. That way you avoid confrontation and can 'keep the peace'.

+1

You have yourself and your little family to look out for. This guy sounds like a total idiot who has zero respect for anything. Make a complaint, and keep on making complaints if nothing is done... Poor little dog :(

Put in a cruelty complaint to RSPCA , it may not be something they can act on now but it gets a papertrail started incase it's needed. You could also just ask if the dog's ok if you see your neighbour and just say you heard it yelping and were worried it had hurt itself somehow (no need to say it was following what you assume was some sort of abuse).

But make sure you start a papertrail of some sort at least if you think this will be ongoing.

Edited by Pretty Miss Emma

If you report to the council it will not stop the BF abusing the dog.

It may make things worse. When the BF is not there I would go & see the person or catch her on her way in or out & just say

Is your dog ok, I was a bit worried the other night when your BF yelled at it & I heard him yelp.

You may get told to F**k off & mind your own business, she may get embarrassed or apologetic but either way you are letting her know that you are aware of whats going on.

That may be enough to control it. As the BF does not live there I wouldn't be too worried about anything if you are civil & matter of fact when you speak to her.

It may make things worse. When the BF is not there I would go & see the person or catch her on her way in or out & just say

Is your dog ok, I was a bit worried the other night when your BF yelled at it & I heard him yelp.

You may get told to F**k off & mind your own business, she may get embarrassed or apologetic but either way you are letting her know that you are aware of whats going on.

That may be enough to control it. As the BF does not live there I wouldn't be too worried about anything if you are civil & matter of fact when you speak to her.

I agree with chrintina's approach. Calling the council could piss them off more (I know it annoyed me when my neighbor called the council before talking to us).

Being your contact has been with her - talk to her.

My guess is buddy use to sleep on the bed and the BF has said no! Poor buddy :(

Edited by buddy1

Please do this. This is the best way to prevent this sort of thing, whether it be domestic violence against a dog or a person. That woman could be next. If you let her know (i would wait until that boyfriend is not around) that you're aware of the situation, you may be able to work together for a solution, whether it be she speaks to her boyfriend about it or she tries to find another way to occupy the dog outside so it's less likely to bark. If she rejects it, then you know she has taken acceptamce of the consequences, or at least doesn't give a damn, THEN contact the council, RSPCA or police, whoever is most appropriate at the time.

Good luck, I hope that dog is ok.

I also agree with Christina, the RSPCA won't do anything unless they have solid proof and even then it's an effort to get them to take action. The council will only care about the barking.

I would speak to her, if she is aware she'll probably tell you to mind you own business, but if she isn't (which I find a bit hard to believe if she was there when it happened) then I'm sure she will be glad you spoke to her.

Good luck with it, hopefully the yelp was just a reaction to being yelled at rather than any kind of physical abuse, poor doggy. :(

I agree talking to the female neighbour is the only way to go....unfortunately an abuser of pets is the first sign of a human abuser. I'm thinking if this woman knows about her partners hot temper, and I am in no doubt she does, then she might not want to raise the subject with him, as he probably scares her too....if he isn't abusing her yet, he soon will be. Abusers are great at picking on the ones that are the least likely to fight back :mad hence the dog.

I'd have a word with the woman, but I honestly don't think its going to do any good....lets just hope the partner doesn't decide to move in next door :eek:

Lynn

Guest lavendergirl

I agree you should say something - you don't have to mention the boyfriend if you don't want to but if the dog is potentially a victim of abuse she needs to know that other people are aware. I think the yelp was most likely a reaction to being hurt rather than yelled at.

Shouting at a dog is not animal abuse. Nor is swearing at it.

Why the dog yelped is not known, but I've yelled at my dogs plenty of times (in frustration) and I'm certainly not an animal abuser.

I'd leave the RSPCA to actual cruelty cases, maybe have a friendly chat to your neighbor and ask how the dog is going.