Family Pets Used To Blood Fighting Dogs

Steve

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2012/01/08/290665_todays-news.html

FAMILY pets are being killed in their dozens as part of blood-thirsty dog-fighting events throughout Tasmania.

Tasmania Police and the RSPCA have joined forces to crack down on the criminal "sport" in what could be the biggest animal welfare case recorded in the state.

There are reports of individual dogs being trained to become killers and goaded into killing as many as nine other dogs at each event.

RSPCA chief executive Ben Sturges said he could not detail the specific focus or scale of the investigation only saying that police in Hobart and Devonport were helping his inspectors.

"RSPCA Tasmania and Tasmania Police are working together on a joint operation surrounding dog-fighting rings in Tasmania," Mr Sturges said.

"Under the Animal Welfare Act it is illegal to participate in or attend a dog fight in Tasmania."

Ringleaders of such events are widely known to use give-away or stolen household pets as "blood" or "bait" animals to reward winning dogs and test aggression of animals intended to fight.

The details of the illegal events has prompted animal welfare campaigners to urge people not to place "free to good home" advertising in online marketplaces or other listings.

In other jurisdictions around the world, traffickers of blood or bait dogs have been known to pay others to pick up free dogs often with children in tow to appear more legitimate.

And they warn that people involved in the dog fighting could be more likely to inquire about specific breeds including staffordshire bull terriers and mastiffs but that all breeds can be targets.

It is believed that rings are being organised out of Hobart's northern suburbs and parts of the North-West. There are rumours about other areas.

Mr Sturges said the investigation started several weeks ago and he believed the fights were held outside metropolitan areas.

Events are believed to be organised in a similar way to street racing, in which people are told where and when fights will be held by text message at the last minute in order to avoid detection.

People with litters of unwanted puppies are advised to charge a price for them and even request to see the home of potential owners.

"The RSPCA urges people to be very careful when giving away dogs because these animals are often used as blood dogs or bait," Mr Sturges said.

There are reports that dogs are not the only animals used to increase the aggression of the dogs small household pets also are being targeted.

Suspicions of pet thefts being associated with dog-fight rings have circulated since at least the late 1990s.

In 2007, the BBC infiltrated British and continental European dog-fighting rings and found that wagers on individual fights ranged up to $50,000.

In Tasmania, convicted offenders can face penalties of 12 months in jail and fines of $26,000.

MASTIFFTHI_STORY__F9444843_225436.JPG

how apalling, so everything old is new again. never forget everyones horror some 50 yrs ago when the neighbours cat dissappeared only to be discovered when he returned home all his claws and teeth had been pulled out.

didnt take einstein to figure what his intended fate had been.

the good news was he led a happy and contented life for a further ten years and no...no stranger could get within a 100 mtrs of him either anymore.

Can't say this is news to me >.>

Bull breed dogs are constantly being reported as lost or stolen from secure backyards and then never seen again.

Nice of them to finally actually warn the public though, I guess.

:(

I don't understand some people. Never will. Who in their right mind could do that?

Poor dogs. :cry:

Why don't they (the thugs responsible) do us all a favor and get in a ring and fight to the death themselves, bloody oxygen thieves. :mad

Werent they doing a similar thing with Sibes in QLD not so long ago? they were being stolen and used as bait dogs.

I am sure it happens all over the place, including around here. :(

It would have been good if they'd given some tips to keep your dog safe. I know plenty of people who don't put a decent padlock on their gate.

I live in Hobart and don't have a padlock on my gate. What is to stop someone simply cutting it off? Or snipping a hole in my rear rural fencing and taking my dog? Hopefully she is big enough to deter them from taking her.

Everyone knows everyone's business in Tassie, so there would be many, many people who would know about this, even if they weren't actively involved. That is what makes me sick. :mad

It would have been good if they'd given some tips to keep your dog safe. I know plenty of people who don't put a decent padlock on their gate.

I live in Hobart and don't have a padlock on my gate. What is to stop someone simply cutting it off? Or snipping a hole in my rear rural fencing and taking my dog? Hopefully she is big enough to deter them from taking her.

It's impossible to stop them, but at least make it hard enough for them that they'd at least find it easier to take someone else's (as horrible as that still is).

Guest lavendergirl

That is sickening. It would be worth posting this thread in General Steve considering the issue of "Free to Good Home" advertisements involvement in this disgusting practice. The word needs to be spread about the possible outcomes for these dogs that are given away often by people who think they are doing the right thing.

I wouldn't panic. It's probably a few small operations at worst, more likely a few loosely organized individuals. Hopefully the cops can get some sort of handle on it.

And they warn that people involved in the dog fighting could be more likely to inquire about specific breeds including staffordshire bull terriers and mastiffs but that all breeds can be targets.

I hope this doesn't worsen the attitudes of breeders down there.

OT, but I was interested in a BT years ago. After inquiring about them, I got no love from any breeders, bar one (who was awesome, and was from Tassie incidentally). Ended up giving up on it, they can have their registered dogs. Young single men with bold heads disinterested in dog shows and who's correspondence isn't peppered with platitudes (although polite, obviously) are not suitable owners, apparently.

I wouldn't panic. It's probably a few small operations at worst, more likely a few loosely organized individuals. Hopefully the cops can get some sort of handle on it.

I hope this doesn't worsen the attitudes of breeders down there.

OT, but I was interested in a BT years ago. After inquiring about them, I got no love from any breeders, bar one (who was awesome, and was from Tassie incidentally). Ended up giving up on it, they can have their registered dogs. Young single men with bold heads disinterested in dog shows and who's correspondence isn't peppered with platitudes (although polite, obviously) are not suitable owners, apparently.

Registered breeders can never be too careful or too picky about where their pups/dogs go and if it means that some people who might be quite nice, miss out because they are young, single males etc, then so be it.

The irony is that the method of evaluation many seem to use (shallow generalizations) probably does more than just serve to turn away suitable buyers, it probably also increases the probability of selling to unsuitable buyers.

edited for formatting.

Edited by Lo Pan

The irony is that the method of evaluation many seem to use (shallow generalizations) probably does more than just serve to turn away suitable buyers, it probably also increases the probability of selling to unsuitable buyers.

edited for formatting.

I doubt dodgy-looking skinheads would be the ones turning up to buy the pups anyway. These people aren't stupid and it doesn't take a genius anyway to figure out that most breeders would want to see their pups go to nice, family homes and not possible dog fighters. Grab a kid, put some tidy clothes on and make sure you say the right things (which are all easy enough to figure out).

Back on topic..

As for the size of operations down here.. I think it's a little unwise to assume they're just small, backyard jobs.

There are plenty of places here where you could keep a tonne of dogs without anyone ever noticing and betting or watching is not limited to those that can actually be there. The internet makes it very easy to privately broadcast video and collect money in a variety of ways that would raise no local attention (because no actual cash would ever change hands, all done electronically).

I doubt dodgy-looking skinheads would be the ones turning up to buy the pups anyway.

I did.

These people aren't stupid and it doesn't take a genius anyway to figure out that most breeders would want to see their pups go to nice, family homes and not possible dog fighters. Grab a kid, put some tidy clothes on and make sure you say the right things (which are all easy enough to figure out).

That's right, serves the point I am making nicely.