Fads On Dog Training

Cavamum

I have done a lot of research on training methods and food etc, I did this before I bought my puppy in order to prepare myself for her arrival. When people write articles about various types of training they are so set on it that they convince you it is the only way to get results.

There is no need to 'gang up' on people for writing about the issues and findings they have come across when trailing things.

With regards to the water thing, don't you ever wake up thirsty on a hot summer night?

Do a quick search on DOL...pick say, the all too common "what is the best food for my dog" the response is generally "the best food for your dog is the food your dog does best on" people will tell their stories of this food and that, some have found a supermarket brand was so much better for their dogs than the super premium foods, some can only use one brand or their dog will react...unfortunately its all about trial and error

You say you've done research, but I found your OP to be very limited in what you've tried, have you tried putting her crate in a quiet area rather than a 'high traffic area'? I know how stressful it is to have a new pup, but I think you need to take some time out, calm down, and do a bit of searching on DOL for the concerns you have, there is a lot of information and opinions on here, all you need to do is ask

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

I have done a lot of research on training methods and food etc, I did this before I bought my puppy in order to prepare myself for her arrival. When people write articles about various types of training they are so set on it that they convince you it is the only way to get results.

There is no need to 'gang up' on people for writing about the issues and findings they have come across when trailing things.

With regards to the water thing, don't you ever wake up thirsty on a hot summer night?

Welcome!

Your puppy is very cute. There are a lot of VERY experienced dog people here and so much to learn, please don't think they are ganging up on you. If you stick around long enough I promise you will walk away with loads more knowledge :)

In regards to the water thing I do drink water during the night, I also pee lots too :laugh:

I never crate trained my dog but I chocked trained our old family dog at obedience school, would never use it on my dog now. I've learnt it's all about finding what works for you and your dog :)

Sounds like you are having a bad day.

What you need to do is breathe and then realise that different tools, methods, foods etc work for different situations, something is not bad or evil if it is simply the wrong choice at the time.

There is no one size fits all for anything in life and that includes how we feed and raise our dogs.

This

I cannot praise crate training enough! I had not heard about it really until the last couple of years. I will NEVER have a pup/dog again without crate training it. Brilliant for so many reasons, such as: toilet training, keeping them safe if you need to go out/preventing them from hurting themselves, as well as preventing them from damaging your furniture etc, feeding them in, traveling, if they ever need to stay somewhere else for the night etc etc. The uses are endless really.

Kyojin's crate was already so useless to us as it meant he had somewhere safe to sleep at night and he was contained so that he couldn't get up to mischief/hurt himself somehow, and probably our biggest concern was him hurting the cats. He absolutely loves my cat, and Oscar adores him back, but I would never leave them unsupervised together for a long period of time. This means that I can have all my babies asleep in the bedroom with me and know that they are all safe. There is nothing I love more than the sound of my little man snoring peacefully next to me, knowing that he is completely content. He always takes himself to his crate without being asked and will sleep in there even when he is not required to do so.

Another reason why crate training has been so important for us is that Kyojin has had surgery on one of his knees and will need the other one done soon. We were told he would have to be kept extremely quiet and confined to his crate or a small room for at least the first 4 weeks after surgery. Fortunately I have been able to be at home with him during this time. But of course, I occasionally need to pop out to the shops/run errands, and so I can pop Kyojin into his crate during this time and know that he is happy to be there and cannot hurt himself while I am out.

His recovery time would have been far more stressful for all of us had we not crate trained him from the day we brought him home. He has learned to realise that his crate is his own safe den and I get the peace of mind of knowing that my boy is safe in it.

I cannot praise crate training enough! I had not heard about it really until the last couple of years. I will NEVER have a pup/dog again without crate training it. Brilliant for so many reasons, such as: toilet training, keeping them safe if you need to go out/preventing them from hurting themselves, as well as preventing them from damaging your furniture etc, feeding them in, traveling, if they ever need to stay somewhere else for the night etc etc. The uses are endless really.

Kyojin's crate was already so useless to us as it meant he had somewhere safe to sleep at night and he was contained so that he couldn't get up to mischief/hurt himself somehow, and probably our biggest concern was him hurting the cats. He absolutely loves my cat, and Oscar adores him back, but I would never leave them unsupervised together for a long period of time. This means that I can have all my babies asleep in the bedroom with me and know that they are all safe. There is nothing I love more than the sound of my little man snoring peacefully next to me, knowing that he is completely content. He always takes himself to his crate without being asked and will sleep in there even when he is not required to do so.

Another reason why crate training has been so important for us is that Kyojin has had surgery on one of his knees and will need the other one done soon. We were told he would have to be kept extremely quiet and confined to his crate or a small room for at least the first 4 weeks after surgery. Fortunately I have been able to be at home with him during this time. But of course, I occasionally need to pop out to the shops/run errands, and so I can pop Kyojin into his crate during this time and know that he is happy to be there and cannot hurt himself while I am out.

His recovery time would have been far more stressful for all of us had we not crate trained him from the day we brought him home. He has learned to realise that his crate is his own safe den and I get the peace of mind of knowing that my boy is safe in it.

How long did Kyojin spend in the crate?

I agree with everyone above too.

My 2 dogs and cats are on a Royal Canin only diet and are fantastic. They have lovely shiny coats, are the correct weight and since putting my 5.8 kilo cat onto the weight management RC diet she's now sitting pretty on 4.8 kilos and is happier than I've seen her in a while.

Diet is all trial and error and I think people forget that they need to find the correct balance fof their pets like we do with our own diets.

Crating saved me from a nervous breakdown. When my pup when 11 weeks old she fractured her elbow in 3 places and needed surgery. We tried confining her in a small bathroom and everyday I would stress while I was at work that she would hurt it again. Then my worst fear - we ended up back at emergency. Luckily it was not her elbow, she had damaged her foot from trying to get out the bathroom. But I knew this was not working so So we went for crating. I had been thinking about crating her before this but had not got around to it. Unfortunetly she spend alot of time in her crate for 6 weeks (way more than you would normally leave a pup).

So you would think she now hates her crate. No.......she LOVES it! I did a speed version of crate games (could not take the full time as we had not started before the accident) and presto - she loved the crate.

Edited by buddy1

I introduced my last litter of pups to crates at about 5/6weeks of age I think. All their toys got put in them and their bedding and I played games with them in the crates etc. They didn't get the door shut on them for about a week and a half I think, they started off in pairs then went down to one/crate. By the time they left my house they were all sleeping happily overnight in their crates, put themselves in their crate when they were tired (if the others were still playing I would shut but not lock the door so they couldn't be bothered by the others) and generally thought of them as a pretty great place to be. I just looked in my bedroom- one dog on the bed, one on the floor, two pups sharing a 36 inch crate and another in a 48 inch crate- all their choice!!

Mine don't get locked in crates overnight once they are past the chewing stage. One pup still gets popped in the crate of a morning until she has pooped as I don't have time to supervise her so she gets a chance to go to the toilet every 15-20 minutes then gets her freedom once she remembers to go!! At this point in time she might take three tries to go but it has improved her house manner immeasurably!

Other times I use a crate-

After surgery

When tradies visit (so I don't have to worry about open gates or doors)

When I am gardening so they don't help with the lawn mower etc

When I expect a parcel to be delivered so they don't scare the postie

At dog shows, flyball, agility training, herding and at training for these events.

I also use it for feeding bones so I can watch them all easily and so no one feels the need to rush

My crates all have waterbowls hanging in them that can easily be refilled.

Crates are what you make of them. Crating a dog for most of its life is cruel. Using a crate as a method of keeping your dog safe physically and mentally is not!!

Another thing - you will be hard pressed to find two people who will agree 100% on methods etc when it comes to dogs :laugh:

But I personally think it's important to keep an open mind and learn about why people choose to do what they do, and then you can decide afterwards whether to take it on board or dismiss it ;) :laugh:

Another thing - you will be hard pressed to find two people who will agree 100% on methods etc when it comes to dogs :laugh:

But I personally think it's important to keep an open mind and learn about why people choose to do what they do, and then you can decide afterwards whether to take it on board or dismiss it ;) :laugh:

Yup this is very true!!

Might want to edit this Minxy, you've said 'useless' and I think you may have meant 'useful' :thumbsup:

I'd challenge anyone to survive a day with my Mal pup without a crate/pen/run. If I was to leave her to her in the bathroom whist I went out for an hour or so she'd probably renovate it with her mouth.rofl1.gif

Toothmarks in the wall add character.... Honest :o And I am sure no one would notice bits of skirting board missing lmao

I'd challenge anyone to survive a day with my Mal pup without a crate/pen/run. If I was to leave her to her in the bathroom whist I went out for an hour or so she'd probably renovate it with her mouth.rofl1.gif

Toothmarks in the wall add character.... Honest :o And I am sure no one would notice bits of skirting board missing lmao

Less to paint later.

Less to paint later.

True... rofl1.gif

Edited by SecretKei