What Trainers Inspire You?

Kavik

From another thread talking about what makes a good trainer, and having a trainer that inspires you and makes you want to get to that level of training came up.

So, which trainers have inspired you?

For me there are several over a couple of different disciplines

Agility

Susan Garrett - top world level competitor, good communicator, able to break things down into components and make up concepts/games/exercises to work on these components

Greg Derrett - top world level competitor, developed an agility handling system

Silvia Trkman - top world level competitor, famous running contacts method

Obedience/SchH - not my current sports so I don't know as much about them or the trainers but here are some that have inspired me

Ivan Balabanov - top world level compeititor, training in drive method

Michael Ellis - training in drive method, good communicator

I don't do training in drive like the ob/SchH people do but that doesn't stop me from going WOW! when I watch them!

Edited by Kavik

Bart Bellon springs to mind. Seeing him in action was really fantastic and i'd love to see him again. The combination of training in drive and using e collars kindly and effectively was very impressive and one of my own dogs would not be the dog he is without that input we received when we saw Bart.

And in actual fact when he first joined the forum, Aidans posts inspired me to rethink a few concepts and develop some of our training in a different direction. :)

My inspirational trainer is more local, and doesn't produce training DVD's (though she should!!) Mine is DOL's very own Ptolomy. I used to sit in my car after obedience classes as a noob watching her work her red kids and I was in awe. I aspire to get my dogs working just like that. We're not there yet, but thanks to her we are getting there :) DOL's bedazzledx2 and caffy are also awesome to watch and very inspirational. I've got plenty of training DVD's but get more of my training hints from them. Thanks girls thumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gif

Sue Hogben springs to mind. A seminar of hers made me question (in a good way) if my dogs actually understood what heeling meant. Answer was an emphatic nope, so back to square one, with a new set of basics. Also Ptomoly (sp?) as she is always very generous with her advice.

Apart from that, anybody who is able to train a "non-traditional" obedience breed to a high standard.

Edited by futuredogtrainer

It wouldn't surprise anyone Steve Courtney has been my biggest inspiration (and no he didn't pay me to say that :laugh:) - he was the first person who told me that my dog's scent drive wasn't something that needed to be corrected out of her, I have learnt so much from him and watching him with his dogs makes me strive to have the same amazing relationship with my dogs.

IMO it's the trainers that make us want to be better dog owners and better trainers ourselves, that are the true meaning of the word inspiring!

Edited by huski

:rofl: huski - I should also add Steve into my list because of the fact I was close to giving up considering Kenz would cut it in the performance ring and she did more then that even despite the rough year we had last year with injury. Even Kenz getting attacked during a training session early on which I thought was going to be a serious deal breaker it was Steve who was there to get me over that "little" obstacle and stop me totally dropping my bundle.

:rofl: huski - I should also add Steve into my list because of the fact I was close to giving up considering Kenz would cut it in the performance ring and she did more then that even despite the rough year we had last year with injury. Even Kenz getting attacked during a training session early on which I thought was going to be a serious deal breaker it was Steve who was there to get me over that "little" obstacle and stop me totally dropping my bundle.

What you achieved with Kenzie was amazing Sally, considering what she was like 'before' and how close you were to giving up :)

I dont think i have any one trainer that inspires me

I look at youtube vids and go to training classes and it just makes me want to learn and teach and try so much with my doggies

like agility and dancing and treiball and just some tricks i shape at home

im also inspired to learn as much as i can about dog body language i can thank my behaviourist trainers for that :thumbsup:

* Uta Bindel really inspired me to do more free shaping. I also admire her methods (99% shaping and sorta luring - she calls it food hand, only issuing a correction maybe once a month when she knows her dog truly knows what is required). She has trained working line malinious (sp) to the highest level.

* I have watched a bit of Michael Ellis' stuff and have been impressed. I'm going to get some of his DVD's to help move some things along with Fergus and Lucy (heeling!) and prepare for future pup.

*I'm going to Mia's w/shop next weekend, then followed by the Derrett's - hoping to be inspired.

On a more personal note, Erny helped me take a fearful dog who would not leave the house and would freeze completely when leashed to one that loooves to go for a walk. She has given me a lot of advice and support along the way.

I'm also inspired by all the vonunteers at the agility clubs that I belong to. I don't agree with all their methods, but I admire people who give back to their dog sport for nothing in return.

My first inspiration came from a trainer at a, back than, local club. I dont know her name!!! She comptes in agility with kelpies and I ahve seen her at a show couple of times.

I was amazed at what her dog could do when I first went with Rex to the obedience classes. Watching her train had me standing with open mouth :D wishing that one day I can be half as good.

Edited by MonElite

My inspiration comes from much closer to home.

I LOVE the stuff that SG and GD put together and find it really useful, but it doesn't inspire me as such.

There are 3 Trainers who have really inspired me to do some great things:

Cathy Slot - not because of what she does with her dogs, but because of how she analyses what is happening and thinks through ways to solve problems.

Eric Tighe - Amazing working dog training. Very focussed on achieving results with the dog that an individual has and with individual dogs. He tailors his approach to fit the handler and the dog and works until he gets results.

Linda Orton-Hill - Works for Susan Garrett and uses her methods. I really credit her and Cathy with helping me get my boy up and running as well as he is.

Aside from that there are a lot of people I compete with and play with on a weekly basis who are just amazing and I take a little bit from every one of them.